Sign in to follow this  
Steven Silva

P3D and addons on external hard drive

Hi everybody, i have a doubt. It turns out that the internal hard drive where I had the P3D and all the accessories stopped being recognized by the PC. but months ago that same disk was completely erased by itself, so I consider that hard disk for dead. then I could install P3D on the external hard drive with all the addos etc. I hope someone helps me with this question and thanks in advance.

Steven Silva

Spoiler

Airplanes Inside of me, pilot in VATSIM and IVAO

Hi Steven,

Is your question on whether you can install P3D on an external hard drive?

If so, I would say yes its certainly technically possible to do that and in fact the recommendation is to install P3D on a different drive other than the Windows drive , but the best way in my view to configure your PC would be to install an SSD since the capacity of these drives has increased and the prices have come down significantly.

Either installing a standard SATA-based SSD would be an option or if your motherboard has the connectors,  an NVMe SSD module. Those solutions will provide a really good sim experience in terms of being able to load P3D in a timely manner along with all your add-ons.

The external HDD I would use as long-term storage and backups of your sim configuration.

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

Main problem with running a program from external hard drive is longer loading times and probably low frame rate and less chance for smooth frame rate.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

8 minutes ago, 787flyer said:

Hi Steven,

Is your question on whether you can install P3D on an external hard drive?

If so, I would say yes its certainly technically possible to do that and in fact the recommendation is to install P3D on a different drive other than the Windows drive , but the best way in my view to configure your PC would be to install an SSD since the capacity of these drives has increased and the prices have come down significantly.

Either installing a standard SATA-based SSD would be an option or if your motherboard has the connectors,  an NVMe SSD module. Those solutions will provide a really good sim experience in terms of being able to load P3D in a timely manner along with all your add-ons.

The external HDD I would use as long-term storage and backups of your sim configuration.

Hi Mark Thanks for answering, and if it is to install in an external hard disk since the one I have is an SSD and I do not know why it was damaged. what brand would you recommend me

Steven Silva

Spoiler

Airplanes Inside of me, pilot in VATSIM and IVAO

Hi Steven,

Well for SSDs, the Samsung ones are always good performance and price wise affordable. Although when I did a review of SSDs since I was in a similar position to you with wanting to install P3Dv5 and a lot of add-ons, I finally went for an Adata 1Tb SSD.  That had a pretty good review at the time.

I would also trust Western Digital. I have one installed in my non-sim PC.

Never had any problems with any of these brands so far and I have P3Dv5.1 loaded on the Adata 1Tb SSD and it loads really fast. I have a lot of scenery addons and typically its done in 45secs.

For HDDs, I have had a few failures. Personally I would go for Western Digital and typically the Black range of drives. I have not had much luck with Seagate drives I must admit. They have not been very reliable based on my experience.

Also, for other advice and recommendation take a look at the sub-forum here at Avsim for :

https://www.avsim.com/forums/forum/326-mobo-ram-cpu-hdd-ssd-desktops-laptops/

I hope that points you in the right direction.

• Like 2

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!