Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Remember the tool from Microsoft that was supposed to test your systems compatibility with windows 11?

Remember how it didn’t work correctly and had to be withdrawn?

Well, Microsoft’s shame is complete, as a freeware tool now does what their own tool (still) can’t.

You can download it here, and it will very helpfully and in detail explain why your system does or does not meet the specs to run the new OS.

WhyNotWin11

124361675-38706c00-dbfe-11eb-8524-4a7676


We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.
 
Devons rig
Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.0GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL Trident Z Series Dual-Channel Ram / MSI Gaming Z Trio GeForce® RTX 3080 Triple Fan 12GB / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 1x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1000GB / 5 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity each / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5 Motherboard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not sure if the tool recognizes the AMD TPM on my side (in Bios is on Discrete, the alternative is Firmware TPM).

lsSv8EJ.png

Edited by Vali

Valentin Rusu

AMD Ryzen 5900x OC, EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3, DDR4 32GB @3200MHz, Samsung 840 PRO Raid for Win 10 Pro, Samsung 960 PR0 512GB NVMe SSD for P3D v4.5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WINDOWS 11 is not offered as an upgrade at the moment not until next year, your not going to get the full features as it is still in Beta.

What`s more important is this.

 Update Windows Right Now - YouTube

Windows 7 users as well.

  • Like 1

 

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Vali said:

I am not sure if the tool recognizes the AMD TPM on my side (in Bios is on Discrete, the alternative is Firmware TPM).

lsSv8EJ.png

And your FTPM is on, in the BIOS?


We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.
 
Devons rig
Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.0GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL Trident Z Series Dual-Channel Ram / MSI Gaming Z Trio GeForce® RTX 3080 Triple Fan 12GB / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 1x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1000GB / 5 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity each / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5 Motherboard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

And your FTPM is on, in the BIOS?

I think I have to select FTPM, other option which is "Discrete" seems to mean "disabled".

Any risks for data loss later or risk to not recognize the SSDs/HDDs? When I switched from Intel x299 to X570 for AMD I could not access initially the data from my SSDs and lost the Raid boot.

 

tP9ovWM.png

Edited by Vali

Valentin Rusu

AMD Ryzen 5900x OC, EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3, DDR4 32GB @3200MHz, Samsung 840 PRO Raid for Win 10 Pro, Samsung 960 PR0 512GB NVMe SSD for P3D v4.5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Vali said:

I think I have to select FTPM, other option which is "Discrete" seems to mean "disabled".

Any risks for data loss later or risk to not recognize the SSDs/HDDs? When I switched from Intel x299 to X570 for AMD I could not access initially the data from my SSDs and lost the Raid boot.

 

tP9ovWM.png

I think the only other thing you have to worry about is to make sure your Windows Drive is gpt and uefi


We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.
 
Devons rig
Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.0GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL Trident Z Series Dual-Channel Ram / MSI Gaming Z Trio GeForce® RTX 3080 Triple Fan 12GB / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 1x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1000GB / 5 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity each / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5 Motherboard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Using this tool, my new computer is Windows 11 compatible except for TPM.  I checked the ASUS website, their BIOS for many of their motherboards turns off TPM, but my motherboard is listed as having TPM v2.0 and there are instructions on how to activate TPM.

  • Like 1

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll be honest.  Don't know too much about Trusted Platform Mode (TPM).  But why is the setting turned off by default on most motherboards?  Is there a negative to leaving it on?


5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, EVGA FTW3 3090, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, 43" Samsung X60R 4k and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, micstatic said:

I'll be honest.  Don't know too much about Trusted Platform Mode (TPM).  But why is the setting turned off by default on most motherboards?  Is there a negative to leaving it on?

Because while its cute and all, TPM is not necessarily "all that" and in fact has been demonstrably hacked previously.

Lots of times, people come up with this stuff, and the actual result is simply a new breed of even more clever hackers.

There were also questions raised at some point about this stuff having built-in government backdoors, negating any true effectiveness, because we all know how successful the authorities have been, in keeping their back doors secret.... (I'm being sarcastic)

The end result is that your average person has likely never needed to bother with this stuff, and I wouldn't pin all that much hope on it making us all that much safer now, either.

As far as I'm concerned, it's just the new snazzier color and tastier flavor of the month.

  • Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.
 
Devons rig
Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.0GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL Trident Z Series Dual-Channel Ram / MSI Gaming Z Trio GeForce® RTX 3080 Triple Fan 12GB / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 1x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1000GB / 5 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity each / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5 Motherboard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

Because while its cute and all, TPM is not necessarily "all that" and in fact has been demonstrably hacked previously.

Lots of times, people come up with this stuff, and the actual result is simply a new breed of even more clever hackers.

There were also questions raised at some point about this stuff having built-in government backdoors, negating any true effectiveness, because we all know how successful the authorities have been, in keeping their back doors secret.... (I'm being sarcastic)

The end result is that your average person has likely never needed to bother with this stuff, and I wouldn't pin all that much hope on it making us all that much safer now, either.

As far as I'm concerned, it's just the new snazzier color and tastier flavor of the month.

I’m still curious why off by default and what the cons are of TPM 


5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, EVGA FTW3 3090, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, 43" Samsung X60R 4k and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/8/2021 at 9:55 AM, G-RFRY said:

WINDOWS 11 is not offered as an upgrade at the moment not until next year, your not going to get the full features as it is still in Beta.

What`s more important is this.

 Update Windows Right Now - YouTube

Windows 7 users as well.

 

Don't want this message to get lost in the thread!

Kind of off topic but highly important!

Thanks for posting. I have auto updates on so not an issue for me, but vital for those who have them off. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, micstatic said:

I’m still curious why off by default and what the cons are of TPM 

 

Below may be an older version of TPM. I suspect many of the cons don't apply to TPM 2.0. I'm speculating of course.

 

In contrast to the advantages of TPM, there are also many disadvantages as follows:

 
  • Quote

     

    • The major disadvantage is it has the risk of bug.
    • TPM does not protect the system from a cold boot attack.
    • TPM just provides security against theft of the system. Contrarily, it does not consider online threats and attacks on the system or information stored.
    • The process of its functioning is very long, as its tools run key finders until the right key works.
    • Some studies also show that, while rebooting the system. TPM recovers the encryption key while the system connects to the external drive. Meanwhile, the hacker can decrypt the disk easily.
    • Moreover, sometimes it shows a problem in connecting or running the right software.

     

     

https://etipsguruji.com/trusted-platform-module/#Disadvantages_of_Trusted_Platform_Module

 

 

Edited by martin-w
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/10/2021 at 5:54 AM, martin-w said:

 

Below may be an older version of TPM. I suspect many of the cons don't apply to TPM 2.0. I'm speculating of course.

 

In contrast to the advantages of TPM, there are also many disadvantages as follows:

 
  •  

https://etipsguruji.com/trusted-platform-module/#Disadvantages_of_Trusted_Platform_Module

 

 

What I'm still not understanding however.  Yes I see the cons pointed out.  But the same cons are still there if TPM is turned off.  My question is more along the lines of any cons to turning it on when it is currently off.  

  • Like 1

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, EVGA FTW3 3090, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, 43" Samsung X60R 4k and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online


  • Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

    AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

    Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
×
×
  • Create New...