Sign in to follow this  
bob.bernstein

Final Decision on Vista (Upgrade)

Guest iwantmydc3

NO. Why?1. It costs too much.2. I'm not sure it will work with all my applications (especially security ones.3. I'm not ready to invest the time troubleshooting the upgrade.4. I'm not happy with the increased DRM.5. I don't care about DX10 right now. I use my computer for a lot more than FSX. It's not worth changing my OS to see if FSX runs better or not. If its not, whatever the reason, I'll be p****d.6. I don't care about how it looks. XP's looks never impressed me; I use it with the Windows 2000 face on it. Big deal.7. It costs to much. As I've aaid, if it were $89, I admit I would be tempted and curious enough to load it, check it out, and if I didn't like it, wipe and restore, as much of a hassle as that would be. But at its prices...no. It's not an impulse buy for me. Final points:I am not "anti viata." I just don't think the "upgrade" is a good idea. As time goes by, and people buy new computers, Vista will penetrate the user base, and become the prominent OS like XP did. When I buy a new computer, or when MS stops supporting XP, then I'll get Vista (It will be much more mature and stable by then anwyay).Some have made the point that those who are resisiting Vista did the same thing when other new versions come out--to an extent, of course this is true, but not entirely. Moving from XP to Vista will NOT be the same as moving from 98 to XP. The OS is recoded, not just rewritten. Some things will work differently or not at all like they used to. The way it handles applications, users, peripherals and security are all markedly different. There will be a learing curve (mauybe small, but it will be there), that upgraders will face, that new users wont. I get it, I understand, I'm aware--for most systems that have the hardware it will probably work fine. I'm just not interested in finding out if mine will be one of them.Now that I have summarized my opinion I will shut up about this. Time to fly from KTOA to HAF in my Carenado 182 RG. :)

What he said. - Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Upgrades of the Operating System are usually not a good idea, because the old computer was designed, configured and setup for the old OS.The best option is to buy or build a new system for/with the new OS.Many people cannot afford to do that, and I would strongly urge them to wait until they can.I disagree about the change from XP to Vista. It's still NT.Moving thousands of my company computers from Win9X to Win2K was the most traumatic and expensive thing we've ever done as IT.It cost us tens of millions of dollars to have applications redeveloped to work on NT based platforms with NT security models.The training of people to think of user accounts and rights was expensive and in the end for a good 50% of our people it ended up needing an IT person to sit down with them on their own computer to explain/ show them.I agree with John Dorvak that Vista is not really an operating system.The last OS for the Intel/PC platform was DOS 6.But we have Steve Jobs and his MAC to thank for making people believe that the OS should be an integrated set of applications which present a seemless graphical interface.Personally, I'd love to be able to boot my computer to a command prompt, allocate the memory for critical applications like anti-virus, and launch Flight Simulator - without giving up 30-40% of my processing and graphics power to the "OS".But I'd also like to win the lottery, and the chances of doing that are much higher.BTW - I have received my new computer with Vista. Never considered staying with XP. It's not a gaming computer - but the replacement of my wife's box.I've also been working with Vista Enterprise at work, and we will be rolling it to new computers in the company before the end of summer.

Reggie, I've built my own computers for many years. Probably built 10 or more computers. Other than sizing the memory, I've never given the os a thought. And adding memory takes all of 7 minutes or less, so even if I failed to do that, it would be no problem.What have I been missing that other builders do that would make you write:<>All you have to do is reformat the hard drive, and the build is virgin waiting for the os to be installed, yes? Are you referring to the need for specific drivers for a specific os? I'd hate to think someone buys a new computer cuz they can't figure that out. ***wow***Bob

You can always keep your copy of Windows XP. Personally, I have Vista, XP and Linux running on my main machine.I run FSX and some newer games (like FSX), along with email and web on Vista and keep XP around for older games and applications that currently have problems with Vista. I use Linux just for the heck of it and to stay up-to-date with the latest developments.Pat

You don't "upgrade", you do a fresh install.That is different and often acceptable if the hardware changes are minimal.But you also probably know that the majority of people, even flight simmers, have 'out of the box' computers, and Dell, IBM, Compaq, Sony and the others all definitely design and build their computers with one specific OS in mind, in my experience.Most of the flightsimmers will want to "upgrade" so they don't have to reinstall applications and games. Not you or me, but the majority.We have close to a half-million computers in my company which will never get Vista - because of corporate purchase decisions to not buy machines which have the hardware (mainly video) to run Vista.Even with close to a year experience in the company with Vista pre-Beta and Beta - we are just this quarter buying/ leasing the first computers which will run Vista decently - but we are still being cheap.

Thanks Reggie....I missed the distinction between upgrade and fresh install. In my mind I think of "upgrade" as a hardware change. I forgot that anyone might imagine they could install a new os without a reformat. Cheers,Bob

Guest iwantmydc3

>>>I agree with John Dorvak that Vista is not really an operating>system.>Hi ReggieThat's fascinating-do you have a link, or know when he said this? I'd love to read the details

Guest allcott

While I am as yet no fan of Vista, one thing they appear to have got right is the upgrade path. Just as well, really, given the price of OEM.http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2089952,00.aspBut again, look at the benchies. What possible reason could there be apart from `keeping up with the Joneses"? There is no benefit, yet. Reinforced by the latest article:http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2090571,00.aspAllcott