Sign in to follow this  
abrams_tank

Review: Kai Tak 1998 The Last Days Are Back

I have checked and I can confirm, that the VORs are only there as part of the sids/stars. I am preparing an update which should model the VORs properly.

• Like 1

Current analysis shows, that CH is part of default MSFS scenery and indeed its only DME. As I cant overwrite it with a custom version in my scenery, it looks like I can't fix it. TD VOR is there in default too and works as it should.

7 hours ago, mrueedi said:

it looks like I can't fix it

OK, then we need to live with that. Maybe in the future the SDK allows such modifications too.

Thanks for the feedback @mrueedi

Edited by apollon01
  • Like 1

Coming across this thread brought a chill of excitement down my spine!  Why?  To this day Kai Tak is still my all time favorite airport.  Maybe because of its "character", or maybe because of its challenging approach, or maybe it was some of the best plane spotting of classic heavies in its day, or maybe because I used to fly to Hong Kong regularly in the 90's and remember "chasing the rabbit".  Then again, for you old-timers out there, you might remember my scenery version:  9Dragons Kai Tak for FS2004. 

So when I saw this post I had to grab it for one reason... the bridges.  Looks like they did a nice modeling job of the nulla and true bridges.  This was the one thing that FlyTampa did not model (and ours for that matter) but the scenery was cutting edge at its time and still holds up well.

Already ordered this version and looking forward to some challenging fun.

• Like 5

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

2 hours ago, Clutch Cargo said:

Then again, for you old-timers out there, you might remember my scenery version:  9Dragons Kai Tak for FS2004

Hey, great to hear from you you. Your Kai Tak scenery was my favorite back in those days, I must have flown the IGS approach on your scenery probably ten times more than any other approach. To this day I have it stored somewhere in my backups!

Great that the bridges stirred up your interest. I was quite excited too once I figured out, how useable bridges could created. Together with the 3D shorelines, that was tricky. I even had to create areas with own 3D grass along the bricked shorelines, that would blend over to the default grass as nicely as possible (because the default terrain allowed not creating a nicely shaped slope from the elevated runway platform down to the sea).

On 7/9/2021 at 4:22 PM, superspud said:

That... music. My word. 

Can users outline what's so special about the Flytampa version? That always seems to be referred to with great reverence. 

On 7/9/2021 at 4:36 PM, abrams_tank said:

Yeah, I would like to know about why all the love for FlyTampa version too. 

There is just something moody and magical about the FlyTampa version that's hard to capture.

It's really like a time capsule....the airport lighting, the parked 747s, the city felt alive with visual road traffic on the bridges.

The night dust/haze in the air as your descended into the busy little city!

I feel its the best FlyTampa scenery till this day!

• Like 2

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

I have just uploaded an update to simmarket.

Among other things, the carrier has night lighting now and a working OLS (optical landing system). 

• Like 2

Today I uploaded another video from Kai Tak, which shows many air-to-air sequences of the IGS13 approach. These are views, which could never be recorded in real live. From air-to-air perspective, the final approach is so spectacular, that the scenery becomes just a side show:

Besides that, the scenery is now also available on flightsim.to but still stuck in the marketplace onboarding process.

I just wanted to bump this thread because I picked it up after reading the thread. I'm extremely happy with the purchase. If anyone wants a compatible Kai Tak airport with SamScene City, this is the one to get.

BTW, does anyone know how to add statics?

• Like 3

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

One of my favourite airports. Many years ago in high school with a good friend of mine (both still aviation enthusiasts till this day) we fell in love with the airport after watching a video on YouTube of a Korean 747 performing a wild crosswind landing. How time flies! 

• Like 1

Oh yes, the pungent stink hitting you upon landing at Kai Tak... In a weird way I still miss the Kai Tak nullah to this day !

Cheers,

2Low2Slow

23 minutes ago, TooLowTooSlow said:

Oh yes, the pungent stink hitting you upon landing at Kai Tak... In a weird way I still miss the Kai Tak nullah to this day !

Cheers,

2Low2Slow

You are very lucky!

I traveled all over the world later but was too young (I was 14 in 1998) to catch Kai Tak in time.😥

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

I landed there once, in the early 1980s, and I'm grateful for having experienced it. I'll also add my appreciation of Fly Tampa's FSX / P3D Hong Kong - it was the first scenery where the buildings were illuminated from street level, rather than covered in luminous paint (or so it seemed to me). I think I'll get SamScenes HK, as their New York is superb, and this Kai Tak too. Then I can pretend the hand-over to China never happened.

Edited by Paul K
  • Like 1

Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting.

https://rationalwiki.org