Sign in to follow this  
Noooch

How do you choose your next flight?

57 minutes ago, Tomaz Drnovsek said:

Since I'm using Skypark I don't have this issue anymore. I also flew in parts of the world I never visited before in more then 20 years of simming.  

Yes, it’s very very nice, same as NeoFly, FSE just to name a few for GA. OnAir, Airhauler or the many Virtual Airlines for Jets.

However, those are all external, most come with additional cost and do not fully integrate with the Sim, it’s specific airplanes or sceneries. Such modes should be fully embedded into the Sim!!!

Well, it would be a long way to go for Microsoft if they intent to do something. Just look at the Logbook, how little attention they put into this, ridiculous…

For unknown reasons there does not seem to be a huge voice for such features in their forum.

Tree distance seems to be much more important than a purpose to fly…

Edited by urthgental

2 minutes ago, urthgental said:

Yes, it’s very very nice, same as NeoFly, FSE just to name a few for GA. OnAir, Airhauler or the many Virtual Airlines for Jets.

However, those are all external and Mist come with additional cost. Such modes should be fully embedded into the Sim.

But this would be a long way to go for Microsoft if they intent to do something.  Just look at the Logbook, how little attention they put into this, ridiculous…

For unknown reasons there does not seem to be a huge voice for such features in their forum. 

Tree distance seems to be much more important than a purpose to fly…

I'm not sure I agree. It's Flight Simulator after all and the main thing Asobo should focus on is the simulation part and providing a platform to develop on. 3rd party developers then add stuff that certain people want - like airline managing and things like that. This was always the case with FS.

Some of the airline managing addons are also free.

13 minutes ago, Tomaz Drnovsek said:

I'm not sure I agree. It's Flight Simulator after all and the main thing Asobo should focus on is the simulation part and providing a platform to develop on. 3rd party developers then add stuff that certain people want - like airline managing and things like that. This was always the case with FS.

Some of the airline managing addons are also free.

Well, this argument is very specific to Flight Simulators because of it’s  heritage as a Training Tool.

I never understood why, most likely because ‚hardcore simmers‘ know why, when, where and what to fly.

I have a PPL, and still my expectation would be to a have some guidance, purpose and reward to fly in the Sim… 

Edited by urthgental

I open Skyvector, usually start at the last airport I landed at, and look for an airport about 1-1 1/2 hours a way. I find longer flights than that, kind of boring, so in my DC6 that gives me a range of around 250-300 miles. I then load this in Simbrief, get a flight plan and load it into MSFS 2020. I log all my flights with my VA, so I have a record of 1,000s of flights. I try to always fly somewhere different, and now that I am flying MSFS,  I have the entire world to select airports from. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

+1 to the tools such as FSE, OnAir, etc.  I am using NeoFly and having a blast, just looking for jobs that become the next link in the chain for my general travel around the world.  The great thing is being able to add my payware aircraft to the database so I can acquire them when I find them at an airport along the way.  Then I have my salty crew of AI pilots fly 'em to fund my RTW trip doing the jobs I want.

Currently I'm relaxing on the beach with my toes in the sand between jobs at MMBT Huatulco, Oaxaca, on the southern coast of Mexico flying a DC-6A that I picked up at a good military surplus price at Camp Pendleton.   Just letting the jobs take me where the weather suits my clothes, as the song goes.  I should probably stop posting, shut this laptop off and head over to the airport to see what's up but maybe after one more Margarita...

• Like 1

"That's what" - She

For a good time, download my repaints for the RealAir Scout/Citabria/Decathlon in the AvSim library by clicking here!

3 hours ago, Tomaz Drnovsek said:

Since I'm using Skypark I don't have this issue anymore. I also flew in parts of the world I never visited before in more then 20 years of simming.  

Exactly this. Was a big FSE user before picking up the Skypark. Couldn’t recommend it more highly. 

I am still trying to find a detailed around the World flightplan which i can import into msfs or simbrief. Would very much appreciate your help and ideas.

Thanks

Bernd

16 minutes ago, bjablonka8120 said:

I am still trying to find a detailed around the World flightplan which i can import into msfs or simbrief. Would very much appreciate your help and ideas.

Why don't you make your own? That's part of the fun.

How does one download Random Flight Generator?  I followed the link in the post a few messages above above, see the highlighted zip file but when I click on it a folder opens up with more file.  If I right-click I get some HTML file to download? 

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

23 minutes ago, Clutch Cargo said:

How does one download Random Flight Generator?  I followed the link in the post a few messages above above, see the highlighted zip file but when I click on it a folder opens up with more file.  If I right-click I get some HTML file to download? 

Just create a folder with all the files within the.zip, then run the randomflightgen.exe

Edited by Noooch

I do not skip around with my departure airports.  If I fly into an airport, my next flight is out of that same airport.  I do the same with aircraft models except when I am starting from one of my three bases of operations where I can switch models.  So since I flew a Turbine Duke v2 to Baltimore, that is what I flew back out of Baltimore...  

I fly a sports team circuit.  So on Thursday, which was an off day, I flew from Minneapolis to Baltimore for a three game weekend set here.  Monday I will fly to Chicago, skipping the MLB All-Star Game in Denver.  The following two weeks are for a homestand for Chicago and three-game series in nearby Milwaukee, so I will likely complete some daytrip $100 hamburger runs.  Then its off to Kansas City, then back to Chicago.  

For the weekend of August 8, I will fly to Nashville, TN, for the Indycar race on the street course.

The day trip hamburger runs will be with MSFS.  Longer trips and particularly into IFR conditions I fly in FSX SE with a compliment of high quality 3rd party support!  I continue to accumulate a collection of improved MSFS airports, focusing most closely on those airports that are $100 destinations.

• Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

8 hours ago, Der Zeitgeist said:

If I don't have a particular goal in mind, I often check out the current community events that are mentioned on the official forums or the MSFS Discord.

There are all kinds of events there, from virtual airshows, formation flying, guided tours through a certain region from a flightsimmer who lives there, or even flights teaching you about historical events, like this flight from Malta to Sicily that is happening tonight and that will give a guided tour on the locations of Operation Husky, the Allied invasion of Sicily in World War 2.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/the-bush-divers-invitational-sicily/418880

yeah... I have looked into this and it is really interesting.  My problem is the times for my timezone are really bad.  I have never found an event in a reasonable slot for the PST time zone.

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

+1 for Skypark. Fly any plane anywhere. I’m really looking forward to the devs adding additional airplane costs so it is more of a career sim. 

Two extended trips that I have done recently.

First was based on the book The Cannibal Queen.  It is a areal trek around the US with great commentary (I have the entire route mapped out and in FLP form also).  I often read while actually flying the route in the sim and found the descriptions great as I looked out the window, I could see exactly what he was writing about.  Good fun (could not really do this in FSX as the ground detail simply was not there)

Second was the historic Lewis and Clark full round trip across the northern part of the US.  There is a great freeware package available with the flight plans, historic points, commentary, maps, scenery and other links.  

• Like 2

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K