Sign in to follow this  
Rene_Feijen

PMDG DC-6 with only 1 throttle

I am considering buying the PMDG DC-6 but does that make sense as I have only 1 throttle (X52 PRO), and not 4, and not Honeycomb set , because of the realism of the PMDG?

MS FS 2020 | I9-13900K@5.8 GHZ  | 64 GB DDR5 4800mhz |  ASUS TUF RTX 4090 O24G Gaming   | HP Reverb G2 | Navigraph | VATSIM | TPR Pedals | Virpil collective & stick | Honeycomb | 2023: Real life RPL MLA microlight trainee (Ikarus C42CS)

FSUIPC might come in handy here. With that app you can bind the 4 DC-6 throttles to your one joystick throttle.

• Like 1

Kind regards,
Hans van WIjhe

Acer Predator P03-640 2.10 Ghz Intel 12th Gen Core 17-12700F 64GB memory, 1.02 TB SSD HD, 1.02 TB HD,  NVidia Geforce RTX 3070 16GB Memory, Windows 11 (x64)

10 minutes ago, Rene_Feijen said:

I am considering buying the PMDG DC-6 but does that make sense as I have only 1 throttle (X52 PRO), and not 4, and not Honeycomb set , because of the realism of the PMDG?

Your throttle will be just fine; the plane is a pure joy with my lowly CH Products Pro... 🙂

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Rene_Feijen said:

Buy it.

A) You can fly it just fine with a single throttle axis.

B) It's a complex aircraft,   but the automatic flight engineer can configure all phases of operation for you including power settings.

Edited by Waldo Pepper
  • Like 1

Ok thanks, I will probably buy it then.

MS FS 2020 | I9-13900K@5.8 GHZ  | 64 GB DDR5 4800mhz |  ASUS TUF RTX 4090 O24G Gaming   | HP Reverb G2 | Navigraph | VATSIM | TPR Pedals | Virpil collective & stick | Honeycomb | 2023: Real life RPL MLA microlight trainee (Ikarus C42CS)

Just another question: I am willing to do most of the engineering tasks, as far as that is physically possible with my X52 HOTAS setup, because it is informative to learn. Can you selectively let the FE deal with the throttle settings and do the rest yourself?

Edited by Rene_Feijen

13 minutes ago, hvw said:

FSUIPC might come in handy here. With that app you can bind the 4 DC-6 throttles to your one joystick throttle.

+1

.. but as others have said, it should work with an X52 Pro anyway. The DC-6 is my favourite aircraft for MSFS - you'll love it!

• Like 1

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png

1 minute ago, Rene_Feijen said:

Just another question: I am willing to do most of the engineering tasks, as far as that is physically possible with my X52 HOTAS setup, because it is informative to learn. Can you selectively let the FE deal with the throttle settings and do the rest yourself?

Yes, although I  would recommend letting the AFE do everything in the beginning. Takes awhile to learn this aircraft. 

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

14 minutes ago, Rene_Feijen said:

If you've any experience flying WW2 sims the DC-6 won't feel too alien. You'll pick it up pretty easily and won't have much need of the AFE. The AFE is pretty nifty in what it can do and while it's probably more realistic to make use of it in practice I never use it as prefer to have the full experience. Things happen slow with the DC-6 so usually you have plenty of time to get things done without getting behind the plane even if you're taking on all tasks.

For standard operations you'll be totally fine with just one throttle axis as others have said.  

WW2 sims.. that was years ago, cant remember correctly anymore. B17 Flying Fortress ?  But I will try and see- there are more than enough tutorials on YT.

2 minutes ago, Tektolnes said:

If you've any experience flying WW2 sims the DC-6 won't feel too alien. You'll pick it up pretty easily and won't have much need of the AFE. The AFE is pretty nifty in what it can do and while it's probably more realistic to make use of it in practice I never use it as prefer to have the full experience. Things happen slow with the DC-6 so usually you have plenty of time to get things done without getting behind the plane even if you're taking on all tasks.

For standard operations you'll be totally fine with just one throttle axis as others have said.  

I have watched a couple of Youtube videos of people demonstrating that they could fly it without the AFE. Mistake after mistake was usually the result. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

DC-6 is a must buy. Period.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

Also a challenge to use SIDS and STARS and approaches with this bird I guess (trying without GPS).

Just now, Rene_Feijen said:

Also a challenge to use SIDS and STARS and approaches with this bird I guess (trying without GPS).

I fly sids and stars all the time but I use Avliasoft EFB to insert them into the GPS. 

With the GPS I will manage I think, as I am used to using the 430 530 G1000 and G3000. But the challenge is here to do it old school I guess. I hope/suppose that most airfields still have the possibility to depart and approach without GPS?