Sign in to follow this  
abrams_tank

Fenix A320, high fidelity airliner, is being released

Great video !

Looks like a mandatory candidate for my MFS fleet 🙂

Only problem is probably a fault from MFS and not the Fenix... One can notice how nervous the aircraft is on finals, down to touchdown,  with a slight wind ( around 5 knot but variable ). Every time there is a slight variation on wind direction, even if the speed stays put at those really low values, the aircraft reacts and shakes, veers....

Is the core flight model being used in this Fenix Airbus, or is it external ?

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

50 minutes ago, jcomm said:

Great video !

Looks like a mandatory candidate for my MFS fleet 🙂

Only problem is probably a fault from MFS and not the Fenix... One can notice how nervous the aircraft is on finals, down to touchdown,  with a slight wind ( around 5 knot but variable ). Every time there is a slight variation on wind direction, even if the speed stays put at those really low values, the aircraft reacts and shakes, veers....

Is the core flight model being used in this Fenix Airbus, or is it external ?

I'm not a real world pilot, but based on what I've seen on YouTube videos it's very realistic. Aircraft's at slow speeds during final can be sensitive to even the slightest wind variations.

All the bobbing and shaking is exactly what can be seen on cockpit videos as there is an element of struggle and the control inputs become larger as the aircraft approaches from short final to touchdown, but we're lead to believe that this is not realistic because we've been flying on rails for years.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Greazer said:

Why I have decided to buy the Fenix A320:

1. Developers communicate with the community.

2. Developers will support the product after release (I believe).

3. Price range sounds fair.

4. Cockpit model is super accurate (3d scanned).

5. Advanced systems / sound.

/// I hope their next surprise is a Boeing (737-MAX)

I prefer to base my buying decision on the actual  released product, reviewed by someone I trust, rather than falling for hype and a few promotional videos.

But that's just me.

• Like 4

@Ricardo41 How DARE you come here spouting logic and sense in a reasonable manner? This is NOT the place!

Edited by ckyliu
  • Upvote 1

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

1 hour ago, jcomm said:

Every time there is a slight variation on wind direction, even if the speed stays put at those really low values, the aircraft reacts and shakes, veers....

See this video:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Nyxx said:

It’s why the aircraft calls “Retard” in normal lands.

Does it do the same in Autoland? 

Also, but it's more a reminder since the plane will do it by it self, you can see it on the video above

1 hour ago, mrueedi said:

See this video:

Well, it's very difficult in that video to watch the wind vector, but it surely is 2 digit... not 5 knot :-).. which is actually between 3 and 4 knot in the Fenix video (btw, shouldn't be displayed at such values... )  <-- wrong 😕 my bad ...

And it's the "rate" at which the aircraft wobbles in MFS that makes me wonder if it's FM related...

The "only" factor that is common to this type of reaction when I watch MFS videos is the wind variability. Maybe it's effects are overdone, or actually the lack of proper damping in the FM causes this bouncing...

Edited by jcomm

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

11 minutes ago, jcomm said:

Well, it's very difficult in that video to watch the wind vector, but it surely is 2 digit... not 5 knot :-).. which is actually between 3 and 4 knot in the Fenix video (btw, shouldn't be displayed at such values... )

And it's the "rate" at which the aircraft wobbles in MFS that makes me wonder if it's FM related...

The "only" factor that is common to this type of reaction when I watch MFS videos is the wind variability. Maybe it's effects are overdone, or actually the lack of proper damping in the FM causes this bouncing...

If you get a nice warm day flying low over urban area in light wind, you can get some nice inconsistent heating across the surfaces. As such, this can cause plenty of bumps as you descend through it on approach. More often than not it doesn't need much pilot correction as the momentum and energy of the aircraft will just carry through on a stable approach.

I at least saw nothing out of the ordinary in the sim.

• Like 6

P3Dv4 + XP11

MFS

14 minutes ago, suncoastflyer said:

If you get a nice warm day flying low over urban area in light wind, you can get some nice inconsistent heating across the surfaces. As such, this can cause plenty of bumps as you descend through it on approach. More often than not it doesn't need much pilot correction as the momentum and energy of the aircraft will just carry through on a stable approach.

I at least saw nothing out of the ordinary in the sim.

Yes nothing shocking indeed, quite on the contrary - just subtle indications of some glitches with the core MFS FM...

Regarding your observation, yes, I know - been doing that for more than 40 years now :-)

• Like 1

Main Simulation Rig:

2 hours ago, jcomm said:

I was annoyed by that in the beginning as well. But to be honest, I think this is even more realistic and other sims are too static. MSFS really does a good job of simulating the interaction with air masses.

If you sit in a real plane your mind will "cancel out" those little movements and you don't notice them. If you put a camera on the dashboard and watch the approach in similar conditions, it'll look about the same. Maybe a tad overexaggerated.

I checked this out yesterday when taking a turn with the FBW A320. While in the cockpit it seemed a bit twitchy, from the cabin view it looked like what I am used to as a passenger.

• Like 1

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

34 minutes ago, jcomm said:

Well, it's very difficult in that video to watch the wind vector, but it surely is 2 digit... not 5 knot :-).. which is actually between 3 and 4 knot in the Fenix video (btw, shouldn't be displayed at such values... )

Any line pilot will correct me here, but don't the CA/FO ND's often show different wind speeds / directions? Also, I know I've seen videos with a wind vector of 3knots before, so are you sure the FENIX is wrong for having the speed display <5knots at points?

• Like 1

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

2 minutes ago, WestAir said:

Any line pilot will correct me here, but don't the CA/FO ND's often show different wind speeds / directions? Also, I know I've seen videos with a wind vector of 3knots before, so are you sure the FENIX is wrong for having the speed display <5knots at points?

You are correct - ref: 

and also:

Please note the update rate too. It bounces around just about as much as ours does 😉

• Like 5

Aamir Thacker

Aamir is right. Here's an even better shot: 2 knots on the Nav Display. Looks like the arrow disappears below 3 knots, but in the Autoland video the winds never dipped below 3.

OE-LEU - Airbus A320-214 - Niki

Edited by WestAir
  • Like 1

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

Oops, my bad - just came into this :

PFD DETAILED OPERATION ON APPROACH & LAND - YouTube

And... indeed for the bounce too !

Great !  🙂

Please show us a higher x-wind autoland and I'll be sold 🙂

Edited by jcomm

Main Simulation Rig:

27 minutes ago, jcomm said:

Oops, my bad - just came into this :

PFD DETAILED OPERATION ON APPROACH & LAND - YouTube

And... indeed for the bounce too !

Great !  🙂

Please show us a higher x-wind autoland and I'll be sold 🙂

These will come. We're still in an early Alpha, plenty of content to come. Tomorrow, for example, we are posting a deep dive on the MCDU and what it'll do (things like RTA, ETPs, Step Climbs, etc. which are pretty nifty - and as yet unavailable in most A320s across any sim platform..)!

• Like 9

Aamir Thacker