Sign in to follow this  
bobcat999

Dynamic Head Movement tweak...

Apologies if this has already been discovered.

I miss the old EZDok software with the better dynamic head movement settings.

Anyway, in the MSFS folder that contains the user config file, I also found a file called FlightSimulator.CFG

Inside there, towards the bottom, was this section...

[DynamicHeadMovement]
LonAccelOnHeadLon=-0.040000
LonAccelOnHeadPitch=-0.020000
RollAccelOnHeadLat=0.020000
YawAccelOnHeadLat=-0.200000
RollAccelOnHeadRoll=0.200000

MaxHeadAngle=5.000000
MaxHeadOffset=0.300000
HeadMoveTimeConstant=1.000000

I simply doubled the first 5 settings in the dynamic head movement section (in green) and I left the last three unchanged (in red) as they might not have a good effect if you read the labels.

Now it may be a placebo effect, but this indeed seems to have increased the head movement by about double, and makes the sim feel more alive, especially on touchdown or when encountering the bumps of turbulence over hills etc.

If anyone else is interested and would like to try it and confirm, please do.   Although take a backup of the file first!  :biggrin:

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

8 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

Apologies if this has already been discovered.   Although take a backup of the file first!  :biggrin:

Thanks Pal def check this out 🙂 

• Like 1

Rich Sennett

Thanks for the tip! I'm going to try this after work. 

Former Child, Current Adult

35 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

Apologies if this has already been discovered.

Not noticing any difference Bob - I'm in the A320 favorite Aircraft these days - what Aircraft did you test this with - prob need more have to play with it a bit 

Rich Sennett

5 minutes ago, Richard Sennett said:

Not noticing any difference Bob - I'm in the A320 favorite Aircraft these days - what Aircraft did you test this with - prob need more have to play with it a bit 

BN-2 Islander and the Cessna 152.  I am going to double the numbers again and test again - should be fun!  I will report back shortly...

• Like 2

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

14 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

BN-2 Islander and the Cessna 152.  I am going to double the numbers again and test again - should be fun!  I will report back shortly...

I doubled them and better maybe a little to much - this is what I tried but  I am gonig to change the 8 to a 6 should be about right and then just play with wind settings in weather - without wind it wont make difference

What I liked about ezdok it had head movement if there wasnt any wind 

I get it not realistic but nice to have choices and definitely had that like being on a roller coaster feel to it - not feeling that in sim right now - no biggie its a wonderful sim - 🙂 thanks for find Bob

LonAccelOnHeadLon=-0.080000
LonAccelOnHeadPitch=-0.040000
RollAccelOnHeadLat=0.040000
YawAccelOnHeadLat=-0.400000
RollAccelOnHeadRoll=0.400000

• Like 1

Rich Sennett

Hmmm...  Is it working, or was it a placebo after all?  I went back to default numbers, and it did seem a bit dead.  I will go mad with the numbers to see if it is actually doing anything or if it was my imagination.

The head movement may be hard coded in the sim if it isn't changing, but strange how they would have this file and these settings in there if it doesn't do anything.

It's 1am now where I am, and time for bed so that I can get up for work in the morning, but I will test again tomorrow evening.

3 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

Hmmm...  Is it working, or was it a placebo after all?  I went back to default numbers, and it did seem a bit dead.  I will go mad with the numbers to see if it is actually doing anything or if it was my imagination.

The way these things get coded there is often a max limit to what effect you can get. For example you may be able to enter any number from zero up to millions for a particular line but the game may regard any number entered greater than say10 as being just 10, or even in some cases just ignore numbers that are out of range and just use the default value instead if you enter something too big.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

Hmmm...  Is it working, or was it a placebo after all?  I went back to default numbers, and it did seem a bit dead.  I will go mad with the numbers to

Seems to be making a difference here Bob - dang its late in the UK 🙂 put a crazy number in there just the first one you will see if its working lol 

6 minutes ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

The way these things get coded there is often a max limit to what effect you can get. For example you may be able to enter any number from zero 

Glenn good point I was thinking that but it has made a difference - the main thing to do is play with wind settings in preset weather choices also - keep winds tame or will be ridiculous 🙂 

Edited by Richard Sennett
  • Like 1

Rich Sennett

1 minute ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

The way these things get coded there is often a max limit to what effect you can get. For example you may be able to enter any number from zero up to millions for a particular line but the game may regard any number entered greater than say10 as being just 10, or even in some cases just ignore numbers that are out of range and just use the default value instead if you enter something too big.

Yes, you are right Glenn.  This can be the case.  I remember some of the settings in the FSX config files used to be like this.

Make sure your entire Simulator folder has all rights so change keep - I use little reg hack - takeownership - works great

Right mouse click sim folder and click takeownership in pop put menu done - easy stuff

Rich Sennett

Also you prob dont want to mess with these settings to much could change Auto Pilot behavior maybe 

Rich Sennett

So i tried this change and I "think" it made a difference. It's hard to compare when not testing side by side.  I think I like it though it may be slightly overdone with doubled numbers.  The angle of the panel seems to move more up and down when compared to the bottom of the screen. Very easydok like as stated. It does make the planes more twitchy and fast planes even more twitchy. And for some reason, it seems to make me notice the stutters more,,,though I have no idea why that would be.

Great find!

9 minutes ago, mikegrr said:

So i tried this change and I "think" it made a difference

This is where I'm at for now but def does work just not very fluent as ezdok - prob another setting that needed to be tweaked

LonAccelOnHeadLon=-0.060000
LonAccelOnHeadPitch=-0.050000
RollAccelOnHeadLat=0.050000
YawAccelOnHeadLat=-0.500000
RollAccelOnHeadRoll=0.500000

Edited by Richard Sennett

Rich Sennett