Sign in to follow this  
bowingic

Offline Mode?

I read about the X box version and it mentions that MS2020 has an offline mode. Just wondering if anyone has tried running in this mode on pc, and if so what the experience is like regarding scenery, textures, weather etc ?

I realise that it is still necessary to be online to start the sim, and I could manage that, but having a very poor internet speed (less than 10mb sec) I have been reluctant to buy MS2020 for full use.

Also is it possible to download and store specific areas on disc to then run offline?

Thanks for any info

Ian Cameron

3 hours ago, bowingic said:

Also is it possible to download and store specific areas on disc to then run offline?

Yes, this is already possible. 

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

Offline mode is not very nice as you do not get the sat imagery but some kind of unappetizing ground textures. 

I had the same problem being at the end of an ADLS landline. No fiber in view before a couple of years.

A fellow simmer on this forum advised me to get a 4G connection with a telephone operator. I did and it works quite well. I have now a dedicated modem with a cap of 200 GB a month. 

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

34 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

Offline mode is not very nice as you do not get the sat imagery but some kind of unappetizing ground textures. 

Even if you precache a specific area? In that case what is the purpose of this setting?

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

Just now, MrFuzzy said:

Even if you precache a specific area? In that case what is the purpose of this setting?

Of course but to precache you have to download first. With the ADLS, my nominal was 4.5 Mbps but most of the downloading was at less than 1. With such speed, precaching would have taken hours for a smallish area.

• Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Many thanks for the info guys...with pre-cache is the data only held for the one session or is able to be permanently stored on a drive?

Ian Cameron

It stays permanently but it is advised to clear the cache after any update

Dominique