Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ozzie

FSX Won't Reinstall

Guest oldjc

I was having problems with the lesson on climbs/decents so I decided to reinstall FSX. I did a standard uninstall from add/remove programs and then I went through the registry and removed anything I found containing flight or sim or both. Now when I start the DVD to do an install, it won't come up to the install screen, it brings up the screen that wants me to pick between repair or remove. When you pick either one of those, I get the error: - 1612 The installation source for this product is not available. What do I need to do to make FSX install for me again?JC

Guest oldjc

I thought it was a good idea, but FSX wasn't on the list. Thanks anyway.JC

Guest firehawk44

Sorry the KB did not work. You stated "I went through the registry and removed anything I found containing flight or sim or both". Have you tried deleting anything stating FSX? Also make sure the FSX directory was removed during the uninstall process. Most of the time it leaves residue. Check the C:/Documents and Settings/All Users/Application Data/Microsoft/FSX folder does not exist. Also make sure C:/Documents and Settings/Your User Name/Application Data/Microsoft/FSX folder does not exist. Retry installing. Hope this helps.Best regards,Jim

Guest SkyDrift

Sounds like your uninstall of FSX did not fully complete, and you still have FSX entries in the registry. FSX is reading these & thinks FSX is installed, so tries to reinstall/repair, but cannot find the install .msi file on your hard-drive because it is no longer there. I'd suggest checking a few areas of the registry for FSX-related install & uninstall keys. Look for any entries under (repeat, under) these levels I list below that clearly show that they are FSX related. I.E. the entries should all have within them a DWord value (shown in the right-hand-pane) that is named either "ProductName" or "PackageName", with a data value of "Microsoft Flight Simulator X"Don't delete the following keys themselves, or you'll mess up much more than FSX!:HKCRInstallerProductsHKCUInstallerProducts (if you installed the Photo Scenery Update)HKLMSoftwareClassesInstallerProductsHKLMSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrent VersionInstallerUserdataS-1-5-18Products(if you see more than one S-1-5-...number - likely - look under the product keys of these S-1-5-... numbers to)HKLMSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrent VersionUninstallHKey_UsersS-1-5-...(note: S-number can vary, so I can't list the actual number that you will see)SoftwareMicrosoftInstallerproductsHope this helps- SkyDrift

This is just another example of the pathetic nature of this release. I'm glad mine is still collecting dust on the shelf. I'm beginning to think MSFS may have seen it's best days. Who in the hexx wants to now start messing with scads of registry keys just to get the daxxed thing running, and there is basically no support except this forum. Tom ought to start back-charging Microsoft for performing this valuable service for their flawed product.Bob (Las Cruces, NM)

>I was having problems with the lesson on climbs/decents so I>decided to reinstall FSX. I did a standard uninstall from>add/remove programs and then I went through the registry and>removed anything I found containing flight or sim or both. >Now when I start the DVD to do an install, it won't come up to>the install screen, it brings up the screen that wants me to>pick between repair or remove. When you pick either one of>those, I get the error: - 1612 The installation source for>this product is not available. What do I need to do to make>FSX install for me again?>>JCHad the exact same problem yesterday. After shutting everything I didn't need down and cleaning the discs ( maybe it was luck ) I finally got a clean install on the third attempt.Actually when uninstalling you should you disc one to do it instead ofAdd/Remove programs. After each attempt at installation I also formatted the hard drive prior to a new attempt.By the way it was my 5th reinstall and I was able to activate with no problem. Craig

Guest Ozzie

>This is just another example of the pathetic nature of this>release. I'm glad mine is still collecting dust on the shelf. >I'm beginning to think MSFS may have seen it's best days. Who>in the hexx wants to now start messing with scads of registry>keys just to get the daxxed thing running, and there is>basically no support except this forum. Tom ought to start>back-charging Microsoft for performing this valuable service>for their flawed product.>>Bob (Las Cruces, NM)Now theres one of the better comments I have seen in ages:-jumpy

Guest oldjc

I've searched thru the registry a couple of times. Thanks anyway.JC

Guest oldjc

Sorry it took so long to get back.I suspicion there is a Windows re-install in my future also. I hate that. Maybe I'll go to Vista.JC

Guest Ozzie

>Sorry it took so long to get back.>>I suspicion there is a Windows re-install in my future also. >I hate that. Maybe I'll go to Vista.>>JCI suggest that you read VERY carefully the following before making that decisionhttp://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.htmlOtherwise you may or may not have even further problems

This solution worked for some:charliebrown wrote:> Hey Dude> > You have cracked it. The "InstallShield Installation Information" file is > hidden.> > I found a hidden files in C: Program Files > InstallShield Installation > Information > {9527A496-5DF9-412A-ADC7-168BA5379CA6}> > There are a whole load of hex character named files as you said and I > removed the one that was dated from the day I installed FSX as you suggested.> > Hey presto FSX now installing.Look for the Hidden file, compare dates and delete it.Visit the Virtual Pilot's Centerwww.flightadventures.comhttp://www.hifisim.com/Active Sky V6 Proud SupporterRadar Contact Supporter: http://www.jdtllc.com/

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Guest iwantmydc3

>I was having problems with the lesson on climbs/decents so I>decided to reinstall FSX. I did a standard uninstall from>add/remove programs and then I went through the registry and>removed anything I found containing flight or sim or both. >Now when I start the DVD to do an install, it won't come up to>the install screen, it brings up the screen that wants me to>pick between repair or remove. When you pick either one of>those, I get the error: - 1612 The installation source for>this product is not available. What do I need to do to make>FSX install for me again?>>JCAre you running packet writing software? (The little program with Roxio or Nero that lets you treat a CD like a big floppy). I have heard of conflicts with them; especially Nero's (I think it's called UDP; Roxio's is Drag-to-Disc). YOu might want to try shutting any packet writing stuff down (you don't need it on all the time) and then try installingEdit: You will have to shut the service down, and reboot-just "Exiting" your packet writer probably wont help you need to insure it's not in memory. Run the "Msconfig" program, go the the "startup" tab, and take a look in the paths-uncheck Nero or Roxio's program, then reboot. You can turn it back on afterwards if you want. Good luck :)

Guest firehawk44

"Are you running packet writing software? (The little program with Roxio or Nero that lets you treat a CD like a big floppy). I have heard of conflicts with them; especially Nero's (I think it's called UDP; Roxio's is Drag-to-Disc). YOu might want to try shutting any packet writing stuff down (you don't need it on all the time) and then try installing"I have Nero's InCD packet writing software and there is absolutely no conflicts whatsoever installing/uninstalling FSX or any other software. It works great for me (and I have uninstalled, reinstalled, and done a repair several times). There were problems several years ago but no longer. If he doesn't have the latest version of Nero's or Roxio's packet writing program, then you may be right but then, how did he get it installed originally? JC's problem is the fact he still has FSX items left in his registry making the installer think it's still installed. I'm surprised he still hasn't fixed it (or maybe he has...).Best regards,Jim