Sign in to follow this  
Gulfstream

Microsoft Flight Simulator: The Future of Game Development

The Cloud concept is troubling especially when it can all change on the whim of Big Tech. When the plug is pulled it won't be like it was with FS9/FSX where we had our own working copy to keep enjoying the sim.

Edited by Dillon
  • Like 3

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

I said on another thread.

Xbox X costs less than any of those over priced Series 30 Nvidia GPU`s that have gone to market againts the most basic anti-trust laws and regulations by the act of corrupt criminals. We need to call things by their name.

And per Microsoft, Xbox-X will run MSFS EXACTLY as the PC with the same yoke, pedals, controlls, etc etc at max frame rate smoothly..... So why do we worry so much about the past?

Maybe (and there is a big assumption here) it is time to use the PC for productive work and shift the sumulation hobby to something good that is not manipulated wrongfully. The X-Box-X.

Regards

AHS712D Alvaro Escorcia KSGR

AirHispania Virtual Airlines.

AHS712D Alvaro Escorcia KSGR/OMAA
AirHispania Virtual Airline
MSFS / ASUS TUF Gaming F15-Refresh-144Hz / 11GenIntel (R)Core (TM) i7-11800H
NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX3060GPU / 1TB-Samsung SSD / 32GB-RAM
SAMSUNG-SmartMonitor-M7-32"4K

16 minutes ago, ThrottleUp said:

All the while talking to each other. Truly it would be a Second Life. 

The ultimate virtual vacation 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Dillon said:

The Cloud concept is troubling especially when it can all change on the whim of Big Tech. When the plug is pulled it won't be like it was with FS9/FSX where we had our own working copy to keep enjoying the sim.

Yeah I felt the same way for a long time ever since Steam started up.  My teenage Son in the late 90's, said "Dad, you've got nothing to fear," and then went on to tell how much cheaper the games on Steam were compared to the boxed versions, the ease at which multiple devices can be used, the multiplayer opportunities and of course the fact you own your copy of the software and it's always there whenever and wherever you are in the world, (I used to fly a lot)  to be played or downloaded again on your device if needed.  Still I was skeptical. But my Son was right. I have a couple small programs that I trialled way back then and and I still have them on Steam!!    Since then, in business, I have now seen the possibilities, the creative opportunities and the depth of realism and reach, not to mention the hardware improvements and processing speed improvements that cloud based products bring, I'm now prepared to take the risk with cloud based anything. Although I do note that  MSFS can be played offline, I think it loses some of its data rich environment!.

So yes, MS could just one day say,  "MSFS? Yea, Nah. We're bringing the curtain down on that!!".  But I figure I'll have a pretty good ride for money before that day happens and if does, what amazing things will then be available to replace it!!  Nothing lasts for ever and why would we want it to if meant we had no opportunity to advance. So Dillion, as my Son said to me and he has been proved so right...you have nothing to fear. 

Cheers

Terry  

• Like 1

No. No, Mav, this is not a good idea.

Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower!

Intel (R) Core (TM) i7-10700 CPU @2.90Ghz, 32GB RAM,  NVIDEA GeForce RTX 3060, 12GB VRAM, Samsung QN70A 4k 65inch TV with VRR 120Hz Free Sync (G-Sync Compatible). 

Boeing Thrustmaster TCA Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant, Turtle Beach Velocity One Rudder Pedals.   

48 minutes ago, Dillon said:

Almost everything now run in the cloud, I really dont have much installed stuff and I just use chrome for Google docs, Microsoft 365, even I am coding directly on the cloud ide .. etc. This is the future, we gotta embrace that and adopt to it. 

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5 6000MHZ RAM, RTX 2080Super 

17 minutes ago, omarsmak30 said:

Almost everything now run in the cloud, I really dont have much installed stuff and I just use chrome for Google docs, Microsoft 365, even I am coding directly on the cloud ide .. etc. This is the future, we gotta embrace that and adopt to it. 

Think for a second a world controlled by three companies (Microsoft, Amazon, and Google).  Governments and all willingly putting all their data on these three private company's servers.  Who's ruling the world at that point?  The whole concept is dangerous yet people are steadily driving into that train wreak with the belief honesty and no manipulation will be at play.  Back to gaming, Fortnight was ruined by the online platform changing to a point people are abandoning it in droves because of the stupidity of things thrown into an otherwise great game by the new controllers of the content.

Edited by Dillon
  • Upvote 1

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

3 hours ago, Todd2 said:

The futures so bright I gotta wear shades

Turn off the Bloom, that will help... 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 2

Regards,

Pivot

i9-10900k * 64Gb Ram * MSI RTX 4070 Ti Gaming X Trio * Steel Series Arctis Pro Wireless Headset * Win11 Home x64 * Oculus Rift-S * Tobii ET 5 * TM Warthog Combo, Honeycomb Alpha & Saitek Pro-Rudders

Just now, Pivot said:

Turn off the Bloom, that will help... 🤣🤣🤣

Haha 😄

Sorry, not sure what happened with the multiple posts.

Regards,

Pivot

i9-10900k * 64Gb Ram * MSI RTX 4070 Ti Gaming X Trio * Steel Series Arctis Pro Wireless Headset * Win11 Home x64 * Oculus Rift-S * Tobii ET 5 * TM Warthog Combo, Honeycomb Alpha & Saitek Pro-Rudders

1 hour ago, Dillon said:

FSX had some online features when it was released. Its Multiplayer and weather, IIRC. IF, and a big IF here, MSFS gets canceled or run its course and MS decides not release a new version, the users can always use 3rd party weather add-on, 3rd party traffic and enhance the scenery with 3rd party scenery add-ons.

After all, the add-on market for FSX only got big after some time it was cancelled. The MSFS market is already thriving, so, if/when canceled, we would find a way.

Edited by ca_metal

2 hours ago, ThrottleUp said:

I was thinking about something while on American Truck Sim the other night - how cool would it be if MS one day released a train sim, ship sim & truck sim...into the same virtual earth as MSFS. 

If the AI can evolve to a point where it can extrapolate and draw / place detail like rocks, or use phone data to place people etc. they could make a truly virtual Earth.

Kind of like the simulation we all exist in now😳

• Upvote 1

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

20 minutes ago, scotchegg said:

If the AI can evolve to a point where it can extrapolate and draw / place detail like rocks, or use phone data to place people etc. they could make a truly virtual Earth.

Kind of like the simulation we all exist in now😳

It can, but of course it will never replace hanmade scenery and for a truck simulator, the difference will be noticeable. But, let's put like this: today they do everything by hand, what if they use the base scenery from MSFS and work over that?

For trucks or trains, you don't need make every inch of the earth acessible (for trains you just have to work the railroads surroundings). Today they already have to work on the whole scenery by hand/or procedurally. Having a good base scenery, that looks good in general, they just would have to improve the closer scenery (closer to the roads and railroads). It would actually free the development time to make the sceneries bigger or improve them.

43 minutes ago, ca_metal said:

It can, but of course it will never replace hanmade scenery and for a truck simulator, the difference will be noticeable.

I'm not so sure.

MS has tons of 'street view' imagery just as they have aerial and satelite imagery.  The AI could probably be taught to recreate ATS with highly realistic scenery...and more of it and faster than SCS can.  it be interesting to see the results over time.

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

3 hours ago, ThrottleUp said:

I was thinking about something while on American Truck Sim the other night - how cool would it be if MS one day released a train sim, ship sim & truck sim...into the same virtual earth as MSFS. 

Fly in a Cub and buzz your friend trucking down below, land a helicopter on a friends yacht while they are in ship sim or follow a friend in an ultralight while they are driving a long BNSF freight train. 

All the while talking to each other. Truly it would be a Second Life. 

It's guaranteed to happen.  I hope to be here when I can captain a 787 into KSFO, hop into my Tesla Roadster, and race on down to Pebble Beach to play 18h w/ Paige Spirinac ;o)

• Like 3

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Buuutttt I was outside in the back yard and only half dressed when the Bing camera satellite flew over my house 🥵

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.