Sign in to follow this  
Krakin

Fenix A320 MCDU/FMGS Feature Review

If it is a ProSim 320 based airplane, then we probably will also get an 737 ProSim airplane later on. That will sure be interesting to see it and compare it with the upcoming PMDG 737 airplane 

30 minutes ago, Aamir said:

I will caveat that I've not mentioned anything about where or what the architecture comes from.. 🤓

Very intriguing!  I love all the speculation, but I’m guessing you want to keep this under wraps for now.  Holding on to a competitive advantage for as long as possible is a smart move.

Gary

i9-13900K, Asus RTX 4080, Asus Z790 Plus Wi-Fi, 32 GB Ram, Seasonic GX-1000W, LG C1 48” OLED 4K monitor, Quest 3 VR

looks amazing so far everything they have shown is top of the line,  wishing them all the luck 

1 hour ago, MattNischan said:

My understanding is that the simulation is running on the ProSim A320 platform, and that data is just coming out of it and being drawn to the sim displays. So that represents a very significant time advantage, when the plane is already completely simulated and it's a modeling and interfacing exercise.

Still an interesting product, but some of the claims make more sense in this light (like the nav synthesis, since all that isn't running in MSFS, so needs to be piped to the external sim).

-Matt

Thank you kindly, that makes a lot more sense too me. Anyways, I’m extremely excited about this product and wish Amir and the team all the best! Day 1 purchase for me for sure !

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

38 minutes ago, polosim said:

Exactly, and that's why some people must understand about price doesn't could be " as low as they want" ( below $100 ) . For example a licensed of Prosim A320  cost @ over $1700 US, for the suite and annually renewed update subscription, for a home built cockpit user not commercial use.

In this case the statement 'consumer friendly price' take a new dimension.

That's a lot of speculation. 

It would be a pointless endeavour to attempt doing all this work for only 400 people to buy it because we've priced this airplane into the stratosphere. 

• Like 15

Aamir Thacker

Without talking about euros, the decision to launch a product at a certain price is a difficult one.

As a potential customer it's easy. If it;s priced right I will buy it. If it's over the top I will not.

• Like 1

I9-14900K,  Gigabyte B760 Aorus Elite AX, RTX 4080, 32 ram.1 tb nvme  M.2 SSD, MSFS 2020 on 2 tb nvme m.2 SSD

1 hour ago, Aamir said:

It is much, much more than simply a modelling or interfacing exercise. Were it, we would have released several months ago - as interfacing with the sim like this has been possible as early as I can remember.

As for the speculation elsewhere - creating something like this requires not simply code. There is a year or more of documenting behaviours, finding source material, forget about attempting to organise access to 5 (real) A320-family airframes in the middle of a pandemic. Things you do not need an SDK to do, just lots of persistence and patience. 

Yup. As I'm sure you are found out, even people who work on the A320 on a daily basis (me included) are really only going to know about the specific bits they work with in the kind of level of familiarity which is of use to someone making a faithful model of the thing and its operation. Thus it comes as no surprise to me that one could easily spend a year or more finding out stuff from, pilots, crew, engineers, plus scouring technical documentation, before you even looked at coding or modeling.

You can find plenty of pilots of aeroplanes who don't know much about their aeroplane's systems 'under the hood', which in no way affects their ability to drive the thing but, for example, I bet if you asked the average Airbus pilot what the difference was on the switch locks between the A319 and all the others in the A320 family for the rear cargo door, or how you attach the towing pins for the main gear, or how you unlatch the engine cowlings and where you refill the engine oil, most probably would not know, because they don't actually need to know in order to fly the thing, but anyone who works on ground ops for them would know all that stuff. So as you say, it's not just a case of finding a friendly A320 pilot if you want to know about all the systems on an A320 to a level of detail where you are going to replicate one realistically. Looks like you're doing a good job of it though. 

Incidentally, I was in the rear hold of a British Airways A319 this morning at EGCC, where it is currently about 35 degrees out on the ramp, and blisteringly sunny with hardly a cloud in the sky, so it was like the Black Hole of Calcutta in that hold. 🤣

• Like 3

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

1 hour ago, Aamir said:

To discuss a couple of other points you mentioned - this is not two simulators integrated with one another. That would be a very messy, convoluted, solution. We use MSFS's weather, and flight modelling - and use the SDK as intended for compliance.

That's what I wanted to hear. 😄

• Like 1

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

The reason Prosim and other solutions like that are so expensive, is that almost nobody uses a fully modeled home cockpit simulator like that. I would guess far less than 1 in 1000 flight sim enthusiasts.

Now, if you could make it work with a desktop sim and a few peripherals, like most people, the licensing price would be totally different. I think that's the key here. There's money to be made for all involved parties at the right price. 

Edited by Republic3D

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

2 hours ago, Aamir said:

There is a year or more of documenting behaviours, finding source material, forget about attempting to organise access to 5 (real) A320-family airframes in the middle of a pandemic. Things you do not need an SDK to do, just lots of persistence and patience. 

Hmm, Aamir is giving us crumbs of when Fenix possibly decided to do an A320.  If they decided on this more than a year ago, then their decision to make an A320 was before the announcement of a FBW A320.

FBW A320 was announced I think late August or early September of 2020, which was about 10 months ago.

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

Very interesting discussion happening here!

From what I understand, all ProSim costumers are oriented to stay in the Legacy FlightModel, because the new MSFS2020 still hasn't matured enough to the point of being able to generate a Realistic simulation of a 737 or A320, including Engine Performance, etc. I take the team behind Fenix is doing this area of the Addon all by themselves? Not relying on any existing code for the A320 in regards to the FlightModel.

Curious to see how this will play out. FSLabs has had to externalize  everal areas of the FlightModel to Custom Code to achieve a realistic Flight Characteristic of the Airbus. The Slat is one that instantly comes to mind, since MSFS2020 still doesn't simulate Slat correctly, it just increase the Lift Coefficient of the Wing, leaving untouched the Stall AoA, which is the most important effect of a Slat on an airliner.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Alexis Mefano

If it is really based on ProSim platform, then really all what I have for Fenix, is respect. How smart they thought of getting ProSim platform, build at the top of it (this platform is solid) to have more consumer friendly. Really I am really amazed how they got this brilliant idea :D. 

Then confirm, I am buying this airplane from day one 😄

However, I hope the external program that we have to lunch won't be too much of headache.

Edited by omarsmak30
  • Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5 6000MHZ RAM, RTX 2080Super 

4 hours ago, Aamir said:

It is much, much more than simply a modelling or interfacing exercise. Were it, we would have released several months ago - as interfacing with the sim like this has been possible as early as I can remember.

As for the speculation elsewhere - creating something like this requires not simply code. There is a year or more of documenting behaviours, finding source material, forget about attempting to organise access to 5 (real) A320-family airframes in the middle of a pandemic. Things you do not need an SDK to do, just lots of persistence and patience. 

Just tell me that you plan on branching out to other types of airplanes in the future! I can’t wait to see what you guys do with other types after what you’re doing with an Airbus! Keep up the great work. A day one buy for me….unless I’m at work then it’s a day two…or four haha

• Like 2

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda