Sign in to follow this  
PilotPete99

MSFS Addon Prices

12 minutes ago, Nurmblitz said:

Are these addons available in MS store like the game itself.

Which store? Do you mean the ingame Marketplace or the Xbox game pass store? If you mean the ingame Marketplace not all addons are available but most are. Generally they are released first on the developers own website or an affiliated publisher's website (Orbx for example) or stores like Sim market's website or Aerosoft. Also you can find them on Steam but thats only if you bought the sim through Steam. Addons are not availble on the Xbox game pass store, that only sells tge actual sim itself in the various versions.

Not sure if that's what you were asking but there you go:) The sim is definitely available in the Windows Store. Be careful which version you buy.

Edited by steve310002

I've bought lots of addons for MSFS and on the whole they have been excellent value. I've also wasted money on some duds. Entirely my fault as I didn't use due diligence. The worst offenders are - airports by Justsim, the Bredock 737, the truly awful Virtualcol E170 and Rex Weather. Lessons have been learnt.

On 7/17/2021 at 5:58 PM, 1st fltsimguy said:

I concur.  As I have all these sims, this is exactly the situation.

I started XP three years ago prior to MSFS2020, and then set about making it a great sim, this required a fair number of "must have" purchases.  I then found ortho which is MS in disguise for XP, basically the same think without the lidar.  With those necessary addons the sim is a wonderful flying experience.

And then there are the planes, I slowly built a great hanger full of a range of planes in all sims up until MSFS.

So now here is sit, sort of waiting, wondering, about quality planes for MS, but when they do I will likely start buying, a DH Beaver, a Dash7 or 8, an Islander, a Catalina, and more...bring it on! Scenery I'm only looking at freeware at the moment.  Except I have my eye on Orbx as always.

XPlane only needs $20 spent on it for worldwide land class and autogen much further out than MSFS.  Saying that though. MSFS in its current state is so good in every respect - I only load up XPlane if I want to fly an aircraft not available in MSFS.

I just did a flight with Robert Youngs new G36 V4 mod - absolutely the best handling aircraft in MSFS.  

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

7 hours ago, jarmstro said:

I've bought lots of addons for MSFS and on the whole they have been excellent value. I've also wasted money on some duds. Entirely my fault as I didn't use due diligence. The worst offenders are - airports by Justsim, the Bredock 737, the truly awful Virtualcol E170 and Rex Weather. Lessons have been learnt.

Rex Weather is possibly the biggest waste of money I have ever spent in a flight sim.

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

9 hours ago, Nurmblitz said:

Yes the Microsoft store, same place I bought the game itself

Having attempted to answer your question, and, in the hope that others on here can help, I'm not really clear what your question is?

10 hours ago, Nurmblitz said:

Yes the Microsoft store, same place I bought the game itself.

15 minutes ago, steve310002 said:

Having attempted to answer your question, and, in the hope that others on here can help, I'm not really clear what your question is?

I interpret the question as "Can I buy add-ons for MSFS in the MS Store?" In which case, the answer is no. You buy them either from the Marketplace within the sim itself or from the developers' own websites, just as Steve has said.

Add-ons for MSFS are not sold through either the MS Store or Xbox Gamepass.

• Like 1

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

My main concern is that from many new players on the add-on market we don't know if they provide reasonable support so I'm very reluctant to buy from them. Even some of the well-known developers like ORBX seem to be less supportive compared to earlier times. We should have something like a 'five star system' about add-on/developers and quality/support. That would it make much easier to decide if a higher add-on prize is justified.

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

1 hour ago, Nemo said:

My main concern is that from many new players on the add-on market we don't know if they provide reasonable support so I'm very reluctant to buy from them.

I agree with that.  I bought a tiny add on from a developer with a monthly subscription fee for a price that I thought was ok for that add on.

After 2 month (so paying 2 times subscription fee) I cancelled.

After a sim update that add on didn't work anymore and after contact with developer I had to renew my subscription to get an update.

I declined because that would make that add on rather expensive in the long run.  (after sim update 6 it worked again,. my luck)

I understand that every developer is trying to find a reasonable marketing model but sometimes I really feel screwed

.I bought a PDF sim guide with the promise that I would get life time free updates. After several updates they just stopped updating and released a new guide.  I will never ever buy from that developer again.

I9-14900K,  Gigabyte B760 Aorus Elite AX, RTX 4080, 32 ram.1 tb nvme  M.2 SSD, MSFS 2020 on 2 tb nvme m.2 SSD

45 minutes ago, hansb57 said:

I bought a PDF sim guide with the promise that I would get life time free updates. After several updates they just stopped updating and released a new guide.  I will never ever buy from that developer again.

I've seen that happen in the past with airplane addons a lot. Plane is released in an unfinished state with the promise to receive regular updates. When the plane is actually getting close to a usable state (years after release usually), that version is marketed as 2.0 and you have to buy again.

Laminar Research customer -- Asobo/MS customer -- not an X-Aviation customer - or am I? 😉

1 hour ago, hansb57 said:

After a sim update that add on didn't work anymore and after contact with developer I had to renew my subscription to get an update.

I declined because that would make that add on rather expensive in the long run.  (after sim update 6 it worked again,. my luck)

I understand that every developer is trying to find a reasonable marketing model but sometimes I really feel screwed

.I bought a PDF sim guide with the promise that I would get life time free updates. After several updates they just stopped updating and released a new guide.  I will never ever buy from that developer again.

I wonder how many developers realised how destructive MSFS updates were going to be. Not many is my guess. 

By the time the sim is 4-5 years old a developer could have spent a lot of time and therefore money keeping a mod alive that is barely bought any more. I expect many of them to be broken and abandoned long before the sim dies. 

It's many times more so for aircraft. 

The Sim Skunk Works G91 is a case in point. A lot of users have reported major flight model changes since it was launched. The developer seems to think that isn't a problem. 

Knowing what we know about plane-breaking updates this means I will never buy from them unless they start to pay attention. My purchase might only work properly for a few weeks. 

I dont think you can blame asobo or MS. If you buy (f.i.) and ATC app and the community "demands" upgrades to the built in ATC and an outside add on might no longer work, is Asobo to blame?   Should they consult with every developer if it's ok to make changes?? 

I9-14900K,  Gigabyte B760 Aorus Elite AX, RTX 4080, 32 ram.1 tb nvme  M.2 SSD, MSFS 2020 on 2 tb nvme m.2 SSD

On 7/16/2021 at 6:33 PM, steve310002 said:

In my opinion developers need to innovate more just like Orbx did in years gone by in FSX. Where is the modern version of PeopleFlow and NatureFlow or custom sounds for the airport and surrounding environment? Where's the innovation that brings airports and environments alive?

I think all of that is built into the sim already, but the tools to work with them aren't available in the SDK yet (or I just haven't found the documentation for them yet).

On 7/17/2021 at 12:58 PM, 1st fltsimguy said:

So now here is sit, sort of waiting, wondering, about quality planes for MS, but when they do I will likely start buying, a DH Beaver, a Dash7 or 8, an Islander, a Catalina, and more...bring it on! Scenery I'm only looking at freeware at the moment.  Except I have my eye on Orbx as always.

I think PMDG said that they are close with the NGx within the past few weeks, and if Fenix comes through... I'll be extremely pleased.

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

3 hours ago, Nemo said:

My main concern is that from many new players on the add-on market we don't know if they provide reasonable support so I'm very reluctant to buy from them. Even some of the well-known developers like ORBX seem to be less supportive compared to earlier times. We should have something like a 'five star system' about add-on/developers and quality/support. That would it make much easier to decide if a higher add-on prize is justified.

Perhaps we need a way to add a short written review to items in the marketplace, comparable to webshops like Amazon.

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5