Sign in to follow this  
Alistair Logie

A Pilot’s Life

I’ve had the last week off and decided to give A Pilot’s Life a try. I figured it would be interesting because it’s sim-agnostic, in that I can complete flights in P3D or MSFS. I got a job with Alitalia Cityliner and have racked up flights around Italy as well as Switzerland and Germany. It’s been good fun, and has given me a chance to brush up on a few aircraft that have been languishing in my hangar for a while. 
One thing I’ve noticed is that for airline flying, I’ve been enjoying flying in P3D more than MSFS. I really don’t miss the MSFS scenery much above 10,000 ft, and I’m usually fairly busy after takeoff and preparing for landing when I’m at lower altitudes anyway. 
I’m also able to use my preferred ATC program (PRO-ATC/X) and Chaseplane works better for my interior views than MSFS (I use TrackIR but disable it for certain views to make it easier to adjust knobs and buttons. As far as I can tell, you can’t disable head-tracking for individual views in MSFS).

I started the week thinking I’d end up flying more in MSFS, but for now, P3D is still the sim that works best for me. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Alistair Logie said:

(...)
One thing I’ve noticed is that for airline flying, I’ve been enjoying flying in P3D more than MSFS.

(...)

P3D is still the sim that works best for me. 

Oh no... don't say that!

"They" will already come here to explain to you why you are wrong. I'll get the popcorn ready...

No matter how many addons you have and how much money you have invested and... your personal taste: you, me, everyone who uses P3D is (or are? sorry for my english...) wrong and should switch to the new wonder of the virtual skies!!!!!!!!!

.... even if you don't like it.

PS: I also use A Pilot's Life. The only problem I found was that it "forced" me to fly in the same places... and I got fed up. But it's good...

Edited by Juliett Alfa
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12400F - 32GB DDR4 - GTX1070 - 1440p G-Sync UltraWide - Windows 11 Pro - Prepar3D 5.3

😆😁 the new wonder 🙂 

I have both and i also prefer flying P3D 5.2, but i enjoy the PMDG plane in MSFS but thats more "fun" flying. 

Airliner still P3D is the way to go for me 🙂

• Like 1

sfo_a320.png

C. W. ,Ryzen 9 5950X @H2O , 32 GB RAM DDR4 3600 Mhz CL15 , Corsair MP600 Pro Watercooled 2 TB for P3D, Samsung SSD980 1 TB for Addons and Crucial MMX500,  Red Devil Ultimate 6900 XT

do you get to complain about your roster and annual leave,  after being woken up by someone to tell you what to do, where to go, and how to get there,   then given a free meal, (which is never up to standard).   and all of this whilst  being paid to do one of the worlds most interesting jobs (when theres 2.5 million looking for jobs) and genreally being treated like a princess, with someone holding your hand each step of the way ??  

if so, then its definatley a "pilots life"  🙂    (12 years in occ can make you quite cyinical im afriad) 

I had one the other day call in because he was too tired to work because "his new kitten had been scratching at the bedroom door all night"   try telling that to 2.5 million people on the dole, including a load of his old work mates. 

Edited by fluffyflops

v63vq9-5.png  913456

52 minutes ago, fluffyflops said:

do you get to complain about your roster and annual leave,  after being woken up by someone to tell you what to do, where to go, and how to get there,   then given a free meal, (which is never up to standard). 

Sounds like the Army to me...........

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

3 hours ago, fluffyflops said:

I had one the other day call in because he was too tired to work because "his new kitten had been scratching at the bedroom door all night"   try telling that to 2.5 million people on the dole, including a load of his old work mates. 

I'd rather be paxing with the pilot who slept than the pilot who didn't, no matter the reason. Tired pilots scare me a lot!

Edited by Bryn
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Streaming at twitch.tv/brynmwr

14 hours ago, W2DR said:

Sounds like the Army to me...........

11 hours ago, Bryn said:

I'd rather be paxing with the pilot who slept than the pilot who didn't, no matter the reason. Tired pilots scare me a lot!

how about this...

a. put the cat in the kitchen before you go to bed

or....

b. get out of bed and go and put the cat in the kitchen

not rocket science is it.  but too much for these princesses.

as ive said 100s of times before... come spend a couple of hours in my office.  youll change your mind I promise you.    

They have zero common sense, the other issue is once they tell their buddies  "eh John get a load of  this,  i got off my duty on sunday morning,  told them suckers in crewing I  had a kitten, and they had to take me off it"   

this is what your up against in my job,  theyve got worse since the pandemic I promise you.

right back to "pilots life" 

Edited by fluffyflops
  • Like 3

v63vq9-5.png  913456

21 hours ago, fluffyflops said:

do you get to complain about your roster and annual leave,  after being woken up by someone to tell you what to do, where to go, and how to get there,   then given a free meal, (which is never up to standard).   and all of this whilst  being paid to do one of the worlds most interesting jobs (when theres 2.5 million looking for jobs) and genreally being treated like a princess, with someone holding your hand each step of the way ??  

if so, then its definatley a "pilots life"  🙂    (12 years in occ can make you quite cyinical im afriad) 

No complaints functionality, free food or kittens. I’m sure that’s all coming in the next version. 🙂

On 7/17/2021 at 1:54 PM, fluffyflops said:

Not a pilot job but I had a trainee late because he said he ate too much BBQ the night before and couldn’t get off the toilet. Good first impressions.

By the way, was that an emotional support kitten?

Vic green