Sign in to follow this  
Urmel81

P3dv5 with EA, Volumetric Clouds and Active Sky

I'm playing around with P3Dv5 at the moment and the Volumetric Clouds. I'd like them, better than the REX 2D Models. But I'm struggling with the AS settings. They have introduced an option for PREVENT ASP3D EA VOLUMETRIC CLOUD CONTROL and an option for ENABLE DETAILED EA CLOUDS.

The only thing I'll read here is that it seems everybody is using Active Sky or Rex Clouds and not the volumetric ones. Maybe anyone has the perfect idea or setting?

Regards Urmel

I´am using EA on with legacy 2d clouds (volmetric clouds off). Together with AS+ASCA+ENVTEX it makes a quite good realweather wich looks like the weather outside my window. Especially the transition between different weather areas works much much better and realistic with legacy clouds.

i hope you can see my screenshots in the following topic

https://jeehell.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=255

Edited by BerndB

Bernd

P3D V6 -  PC spec: Intel i9-9900 overclocked 5 GHz HT off, 32 GB RAM, GPU Nvidia RTX3090 24GB, 2xM2 SSD, Skalarki HomeCockpit and Jeehell FMGS on a dedicated Server, PF3 for ATC, MCE, GSX, EFB, AS+ASCA+ENV and OrbXpf3-supporter.gif

I am using the default ASP3D setting but dont see any precipitation on the wxr radar.

Whats the benefits ticking the options mentioned here? (One to off i guess frome ASP3D description)

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

I am only using EA and the default LM Volumetric Clouds, default or standard Shaders (ENVSHADE installed but not being used) and AS. With AS in the cloud options I have gone for 5 layers, min cloud draw distance of 80 nm max set at 110 nm, multi layered TS enabled. I am allowing P3D to control the volumetric cloud not ASPD and I have EA  detailed clouds enabled, 

On as NVIDIA RTX 2070 Super I have everything at ultra in P3D high rate of change for weather and have no issues with fps or stuttering - smooth all the way!

Here is the outcome on my system using these setting, real time weather today via Bogota and Cartagena F240 TS's Buildups and cloud density mix evident. 

My only comment is that for some reason given the level of cloud and its type I was not experiencing any cloud turbulence or general turbulence at all despite these settings being on I had these wound back to about 30% so now have taken them back up to the default settings!

zRNbUhh.jpg

1NazgVp.jpg

And from the VC the WX Radar was painting this reasonably accurately as well. 

ONjDmQj.jpg

Edited by coastaldriver

My only criticism is that the cloud tops are not nicely rounded cauliflower type clouds as you would get in real life, they have the bulk and roundness and vertical development ok but not that fine edging or depiction. I think they have it close but not quite sure how to affect some changes in the Volumetric Cloud config yet to see if it will round the clouds more! I am not unhappy with the result I think it is pretty good but one still needs to see if that cloud definition is possible to be tweaked a bit more ( the True Sky web site indicates it should be possible given their screenshots). Certainly prefer it to 2D clouds overall. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, coastaldriver said:

My only criticism is that the cloud tops are not nicely rounded cauliflower type clouds as you would get in real life, they have the bulk and roundness and vertical development ok but not that fine edging or depiction. I think they have it close but not quite sure how to affect some changes in the Volumetric Cloud config yet to see if it will round the clouds more! I am not unhappy with the result I think it is pretty good but one still needs to see if that cloud definition is possible to be tweaked a bit more ( the True Sky web site indicates it should be possible given their screenshots). Certainly prefer it to 2D clouds overall. 

That´s the reason why i use vol. clouds=off. The combination of the EA athmosphere lighting and especially the night sky, together with the clouds by ASCA and ENVTEX comes closest to reallife at present status in my eyes.

Bernd

P3D V6 -  PC spec: Intel i9-9900 overclocked 5 GHz HT off, 32 GB RAM, GPU Nvidia RTX3090 24GB, 2xM2 SSD, Skalarki HomeCockpit and Jeehell FMGS on a dedicated Server, PF3 for ATC, MCE, GSX, EFB, AS+ASCA+ENV and OrbXpf3-supporter.gif

55 minutes ago, mikeymike said:

What’s the consensus wth envshade?

is it needed? 

thanks 

mike

I uninstalled it myself. Just saw no advantage with EA on. 

Vic green

37 minutes ago, PATCO LCH said:

I uninstalled it myself. Just saw no advantage with EA on. 

Have you tried with EA off?

look any better?

thanks 

mike

23 minutes ago, mikeymike said:

Have you tried with EA off?

look any better?

thanks 

mike

Actually I prefer EA off. Things IMO don’t look so dark, especially the PMDG virtual cockpits so more realistic to me. I’m sure others will differ.

Vic green

1 hour ago, PATCO LCH said:

Actually I prefer EA off. Things IMO don’t look so dark, especially the PMDG virtual cockpits so more realistic to me. I’m sure others will differ.

I agree, I fly both msfs and p3d

if only they could get p3d to get the lighting the same with EA it’ll be great.

ATM EA looks too dark and yellowish.

cheers 

mike

I read somewhere that the way to brighten up the cockpit is to uncheck the boxes dealing with cockpit shadows casting and reflecting. that works for me.

Sherm

1 hour ago, shermank said:

I read somewhere that the way to brighten up the cockpit is to uncheck the boxes dealing with cockpit shadows casting and reflecting. that works for me.

Sherm

Thanks. I'll give it a try.

Vic green

Same problem here. Active Sky - most current version. v5.2 w/ HF.

The METAR out of VHHX today was showing multiple layers of clouds but the sky were clear. After I opened up the sim "option" tab and closed it, the clouds loaded.

This has been happening on many occasions. For me, it does not matter if EA is on/off.

Thanks.

Aaron Ortega

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor, Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard, Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive, SAMSUNG 870 QVO SATA III SSD 4TB, Asus TUF GAMING GeForce RTX 3090 24 GB Video Card, ASUS ROG STRIX 850G 850W Gold Power Supply, Windows 10 x64 Home

20 hours ago, BerndB said:

That´s the reason why i use vol. clouds=off. The combination of the EA athmosphere lighting and especially the night sky, together with the clouds by ASCA and ENVTEX comes closest to reallife at present status in my eyes.

Bernd why ENVTEX? Because EA defines the lighting if i am correct (sky etc.).

So what do you need ENVTEX for? Clouds? Pictures of your settings would be great.

Just curious because i am also pending between VOL CLOUDS ON or OFF 🙂

Greets,

Markus

Win11Pro - i713700KF - RTX3080Ti