Sign in to follow this  
N400QW

Sport Pilot -- What a bunch of baloney

Thanks Ron--I know Silver Sky well--these are the folks I flew the XL with a few weeks back out of Stellar Airpark--a nice group of people and nice facility, although a family emergency has kept me out of the air since. I hope to pay them a return visit after I return from the East Coast at the end of the month. I told them I was evaluating a Zenith homebuilt, and they let me evaluate the XL not with the purpose of my buying one, but with the purpose of educating me about the aircraft and giving me a feel for its flight quality so when I look at the homebuilt HD next Saturday, I am prepared. A new XL is out of the question--$75K (and that's the price w/o a transponder and radio) is beyond what I can afford, which is why I am looking at a homebuilt HD. I was originally going to go after a Luscombe--there's many out there, until I learned insurance companies won't touch me in a taildragger. I looked at the Allegro which is the aircraft I've done most of my training in, but it still approaches 70K delivered.I will have a pretty good idea at the end of the week whether I can see this through the end. I am not interested in soloing or having a license just for the sake of having it. Having access to a good, safe aircraft was always part of my goal. Even if the HD I see next week isn't right, I should get a good understanding of whether I'd even feel comfortable in a homebuilt. I'll keep the group posted.-John

Guest ron_b

Good luck with your search. I know someone who has been involved with amature build Zodiac's for a long time if you need someone to ask questions about this particular Zodiac HD. Ron

"Good luck with your search. I know someone who has been involved with amature build Zodiac's for a long time if you need someone to ask questions about this particular Zodiac HD."That would be very helpful! Please PM me with the info.Regards,John

John, take heart...1. Drop by your local flight physician and take a flight medical, he'll let you know what to do to correct the vision deal. Mine says wear the glasses while in flight!2. Join the local flying club which uses C150/152, mine is $40.00 per hr. wet, $35.00 a month cover ALL other costs!3. It's a fine way to train and fly:-)

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

Guest iflyc77

That requirement is not the FAA it is the FBO.For instance, my insurance on a 2003 C172SP (a 16 year old btw) is I sign a paper saying that i will pay for the first $2000 of the deductable.That is my insurace :D

Hi John. Out of curiosity, which FBO are you going to at Falcon? Falcon Executive Aviation?

"Out of curiosity, which FBO are you going to at Falcon? Falcon Executive Aviation?"Funny, I noticed this thread had been updated even though discussion had pretty much shut down a year and a half ago, Why are you interested, I am curious? Most of my lessons were taken at Falcon, but the drive got to be too much and I asked Jim Blumer in Glendale to instruct me instead. But I put instruction on the back burner over the summer. I bought a new house and sold the other, so that's been my priority over the past several months. I just met up with Jim at CopperState a week ago though and he's looking forward to spending time with me and finishing off my training as time permits. Jason Bullard was my instructor at Falcon and I liked him immensely. What I liked most about Jason was his willingness to let me do everything immediately, despite my only other experience being twenty years' prior and in heavier GA aircraft. But the three hour roundtrip by ground was way too much. Every dang weekend, either I-10, US-60 or the loop 202 was closed. Regards,John

Hi John! Thanks for the response. I sent you a PM as well.Phoenix is #### to commute in! Even though I'm only about 15 miles away, it never fails to take ~30-40 minutes to get to Falcon. Awful. Glendale's even worse! 60 sucks! And don't get me started on the 202...or 101 for that matter. x( Congrats on the new house, and resuming training! :D