Sign in to follow this  
bobcat999

Just Flight Arrow updates out 19/07/2021...

I kept looking for large signal fire pyres (ala Lord of the Rings) in that great video Glen....!

1 hour ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

I fly in New Zealand a lot where there are something like 18 peaks higher than 10,000' .

The regular Arrow climbs at about the same pace as a bullock dray going up Everest the long way around, once you get it over 8000' or so.

Also, at altitude (say 15,000') the Turbo is a lot faster.

This sort of flying below (getting into the altitudes IRL you would be needing to use oxygen)  the standard arrow would be struggling ...

Nice video.
I notice near the end it still has the general unrealistic jerkiness in external view.
What is the flashing orange indicator light beneath the gear handle?
Thanks.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

39 minutes ago, gboz said:

Nice video.
I notice near the end it still has the general unrealistic jerkiness in external view.
Thanks.

Yes.  I really like this plane, but the twitching up and down drives me mad. 
Other aircraft in MSFS don't do it, so I don't know if it is a peculiarity of the flight model on this, but I wish it would stop!  😕

It seems to have no momentum and moves instantly.

I want to buy the Warrior when it comes out, but I will watch the reviews, and if it shows the same behaviour, I will hold off.

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

30 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

Yes.  I really like this plane, but the twitching up and down drives me mad. 
Other aircraft in MSFS don't do it, so I don't know if it is a peculiarity of the flight model on this, but I wish it would stop!  😕

It seems to have no momentum and moves instantly.

I want to buy the Warrior when it comes out, but I will watch the reviews, and if it shows the same behaviour, I will hold off.

I haven't noticed that jerkiness it in the non-turbo version, pretty smooth sailing, but I haven't flown much above mountains yet. It's almost like the last bit of the video is accelerated, at least that's what that fast up/down movement of the tail looks like.

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

31 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

It means the automatic gear extension system is switched off. The emergency gear extension + autoextension overriding switch is between the seats.

The aircraft is fitted with an automatic gear extension system. The system automatically extends the landing gear when engine power is reduced with the airspeed at or below approximately 87 KIAS. The system is triggered by differential air pressure sensed by a static source mast on the left side of the fuselage.

The emergency gear lever can also be used to override the automatic gear extension system. The lever has three positions:

• UP – automatic extension system overridden. Used for situations such as take-off, practising stalls and low speed handling, and for maximising glide ratio. AUTO EXT OFF light flashes.

• MID – automatic extension system enabled. Landing gear will automatically extend when power is reduced below 14 inches of manifold pressure and airspeed drops below 87 KIAS.

• DOWN – push down for manual emergency gear extension when below 87 KIAS.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Haddock31 said:

It means the automatic gear extension system is switched off. The emergency gear extension + autoextension overriding switch is between the seats.

Strange!  Looks like the quotes got mixed up.  I never asked that question about the flashing gear light.  I never knew where the switch was to turn it off though, so thanks for that!  😀

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

18 minutes ago, orchestra_nl said:

... It's almost like the last bit of the video is accelerated, at least that's what that fast up/down movement of the tail looks like.

It is at normal speed.  That is exactly what it looks like with mine and it does look unrealistic as there is no momentum / inertia effect.  It tends to be in turbulence over mountains etc. as with Glenn's.  In calm air it doesn't do it.

You can see it twitching about a bit in the virtual cockpit, but obviously not as bad; it seems really exaggerated in the outside view. 

I mentioned this from day one, but apparently I am making a fuss.  It ruins the videos though because people spot it - like in this thread.  Rather than people being put down for mentioning it, Just Flight just need to fix it.

Edited by bobcat999

23 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

Strange!  Looks like the quotes got mixed up. 

They did ... 😵 

Oh, I get it, I can reproduce it : I have selected gboz's text from your answer to him and hit the quote button, and the forum software picked your name. Oh well.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Haddock31 said:

They did ... 😵 

Oh, I get it, I can reproduce it : I have selected gboz's text from your answer to him and hit the quote button, and the forum software picked your name. Oh well.

😆  Not a problem anyway Haddock.  I get some quirks with multiple posts sometimes. 

Thanks for the tip about the override switch to stop that infernal blinking light.  I was going to look it up and you saved me the trouble!

I have no ability to select 50KHz increments on the  Bendix DME.

For instance Manchester VOR 113.55MHz, I can only tune either 113.50 or 113.60.

On the garmin, 50KHz increments work but you don't get DME in VOR mode.

This is the Arrow non turbo, I'm talking about.

Stu

i7 12700K , 32GB RAM @3600MHz, Asus Z690-Plus D4 MB, Gainward 4090 RTX Graphics, 850W Corsair PSU, Kraken AIO watercooler, Nvme 1TB ssd, 1TB ssd, 500GB ssd.

1 hour ago, bobcat999 said:

It is at normal speed.  That is exactly what it looks like with mine and it does look unrealistic as there is no momentum / inertia effect.  It tends to be in turbulence over mountains etc. as with Glenn's.  In calm air it doesn't do it.

You can see it twitching about a bit in the virtual cockpit, but obviously not as bad; it seems really exaggerated in the outside view. 

I mentioned this from day one, but apparently I am making a fuss.  It ruins the videos though because people spot it - like in this thread.  Rather than people being put down for mentioning it, Just Flight just need to fix it.

I think it is partly because the drone camera is locked to the aircraft.

The main effect of turbulence is generally the sudden increase and decrease in altitude of the entire airframe that cause the bumpiness (which tends to be toned down in sims, but even toned down,  people that do not fly in light aircraft think is excessive).  Secondary to that vertical movement you might get some movement in the lateral plane with the tail going up and down but it is secondary. I suspect what might be happening in these videos is you only really see the lateral movement and tail oscillating (as the drone camera is moving up and down with the aircraft) making the effect look unnatural.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick

1 hour ago, bobcat999 said:

Thanks for the tip about the override switch to stop that infernal blinking light.  I was going to look it up and you saved me the trouble!

Note that if you switch the console switch to kill the light you will be enabling the auto gear mechanism that will drop the gear automatically if you cut the throttle at low air speed.

The alternative is to pop out the circuit breaker marked Landing Gear -  CONT/LIGHTS .  This lets you have manual gear control without the annoying flashing light however the downside is it also kills your three green gear down lights.

I suppose you could cruise at altitude with the circuit breaker out and pop it back in as you approach an airfield. Not recommended in a real Arrow.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

Note that if you switch the console switch to kill the light you will be enabling the auto gear mechanism that will drop the gear automatically if you cut the throttle at low air speed.

The alternative is to pop out the circuit breaker marked Landing Gear -  CONT/LIGHTS .  This lets you have manual gear control without the annoying flashing light however the downside is it also kills your three green gear down lights.

I suppose you could cruise at altitude with the circuit breaker out and pop it back in as you approach an airfield. Not recommended in a real Arrow.

Thanks Glenn.  I take it this light (and system) should only be deactivated for things such as stall practice then.

I was thinking a better system would be to only blink the light below a certain altitude, but of course, airfields can be up at thousands of feet, and I can't see an Arrow ever having a radar alt fitted! 

1 minute ago, bobcat999 said:

Thanks Glenn.  I take it this light (and system) should only be deactivated for things such as stall practice then.

I was thinking a better system would be to only blink the light below a certain altitude, but of course, airfields can be up at thousands of feet, and I can't see an Arrow ever having a radar alt fitted! 

I believe in reality most people disabled the system altogether.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RobJC said:

I don’t have the regular Arrow as i figured i would not fly it once i bought the Turbo version.

Well, what are you waiting for? I had the exact same thought which is why I waited. Now there’s no excuse.