Sign in to follow this  
harpsi

Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback Pro Joystick

Two questions:

1. This is an old joystick that I used with FS2002 and FS2004, more suitable for flying an airbus. Can I use this with MSFS?

2. The connection from the joystick is not available on my motherboard. Is there a cable with an USB adapter so that I can plug and use it?

Joystick.jpg

Edited by harpsi

Yes there are adapters to use it on USB. When USB first appeared the adapters were sold everywhere. But I don't know if the adapters still work on Windows 10, like they did on older versions of Windows.

Edited by Fielder

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

9 minutes ago, Fielder said:

Yes there are adapters to use it on USB. When USB first appeared the adapters were sold everywhere. But I don't know if the adapters still work on Windows 10, like they did on older versions of Windows.

I was looking but I cannot find them... Do you know which is the correct one so that I can try to find and buy it? Thanks.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Sounds like you have the serial port version of the stick, which might work with something like a serial/usb adapter like the following. 

https://www.amazon.com/GearMo-Adapter-Indicators-Windows-Support/dp/B00AHYJWWG?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1

I have this adapter and it works well,  but I'm not using it on a joystick, or with Win10, and it is not easy to configure.  It might be better to take your money and purchase a modern joystick.

Yeah, what Noncon said. I was thinking you had a gameport joystick. But you have a serial port joystick, apparently. So I have no clue. Also, Microsoft maybe had a software driver disc with that joystick.

Edited by Fielder

Outside of the adapter issue, for a number of us who attempted to use this joystick (I had a USB version) in FS2020, it was basically unusable (loose as a goose and the slightest touch would send the aircraft careening).

Sadly, I gave up and ordered a new Thrustmaster T.16000M - now all is well,

Randall Rocke

1 hour ago, RandallR said:

Outside of the adapter issue, for a number of us who attempted to use this joystick (I had a USB version) in FS2020, it was basically unusable (loose as a goose and the slightest touch would send the aircraft careening).

You can get the USB version working properly with XPForce.

If you want FFB supported natively in game without have to subscribe to an addon like XPForce, click on the VOTE button here (ignore the trolls saying FFB is only for old f#rts and that is a waste of Asobo time working on proper FFB support).

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/force-feedback-support/248760

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick

2 hours ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

You can get the USB version working properly with XPForce.

If you want FFB supported natively in game without have to subscribe to an addon like XPForce, click on the VOTE button here (ignore the trolls saying FFB is only for old f#rts and that is a waste of Asobo time working on proper FFB support).

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/force-feedback-support/248760

The problem is the adapter. None of those mentioned above seem to work because the end is different 😐

25 minutes ago, harpsi said:

The problem is the adapter. None of those mentioned above seem to work because the end is different 😐

If it is 9 pin you likely have a serial port device. They are tricky to set up as you need to match baud rate and parity and stop bits and stuff at both ends and even then may need a custom cable that does weird stuff like short DTR and CTS .  Serial cables were so esoteric they had entire books devoted to making them up .

Then after that you also may need specific device drivers to get it to connect at all.

The 15 pin game ports were a bit simpler (though dodgy as heck, they connected a potentiometer in the device to a 555 timer in the PC) but yours is clearly not a game port device.

Not sure what would be around to provide a viable solution to this one.

5 hours ago, RandallR said:

I have a MS FFB 2 USB and it works great - for what it is. The mechanical tolerance was never very good, but mine acts virtually the same as it did in P3D. As far as I can tell the only difference is I was using FS Force2 to manage forces and trim behavior in P3D, which is certainly superior to not having it in MSFS. All in all I've been quite happy with the MSFFB2.

• Like 1

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

6 hours ago, RandallR said:

The other possibility is the little infrared sensor detecting whether your hand is on the stick has failed. 

Of course if the stick works fine in other sims,  that would immediately eliminate this as a potential cause.

4 hours ago, harpsi said:

The adapters @Fielder linked are the correct adapters. That is a gameport connector, but only 9 of the 15 pins are needed so the other pins don't exist. If you look closely at the connector and count, you can probably see where the other 6 pins would be placed.