Sign in to follow this  
clayton4115

Human eye resolution VR Headset

Folks, this is what we can look forward to in 5 years time. When these headsets will become affordable by then.

The new headsets provide pilots and flight crews with an unmatched level of realism that replicates the exact feeling and conditions needed for rigorous training and simulation, Mäkinen said.

https://venturebeat.com/2020/12/01/varjo-launches-new-generation-of-human-eye-resolution-vr-headsets/

Edited by clayton4115

I7-10700F RTX 3070 32 Gig Ram

Don’t watch MRTVs review of this headset unless you’ve got money to burn.

Varjo Aero, Zotac 3090, i9-12900K, 32GB Ram, RX Viper Rudder Pedals, AuthentiKit Controls + Fulcrum Yoke

atk-logo-354.jpg

should be around $1000 in 5 years time.

The GPU driver will be the real limiter. Human resolution is about 60 pixels per degree, with some people being able to get about twice as fine. It ends up being very GPU expensive to drive those kinds of numbers.

I'm thinking it will be at least 2-3 GPU generations before we're there. 

should have those GPUs in 5 years time

Varjo VR headset have inbuilt pupil tracking system. With the optimized rendering engine, the GPU requirements are not a so hard to achieve. The human eye rendering resolution is needed in quite small area.

Quest 17  and   Reverb G6   will be out by then for 1/6th of the price 

hahaha yep that is what I am thinking!

Kassu62 makes the point that only about 20 to 30 degrees (foveal area) of a VR Field of View of maybe 120 degrees needs 60 pixels per degree if you pupil track. So that would be 1800 x 1800 pixels inside that 30x30 degrees which is about 2K resolution superimposed over a full FOV background area of maybe 2160x2160 (Reverb G2 resolution) that has 20 pixels per degree. Those requirements seem like an approximate doubling of performance of today's video cards. I just wonder how fast you can pupil track. 

https://neurologism.com/2020/01/24/is-the-resolution-of-the-human-eye-infinite/

PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070  VR=HP Reverb|   Software = Windows 10 | Flight SIms = P3D, CAP2, DCS World, IL-2,  Aerofly FS2

Varjo Aero, Zotac 3090, i9-12900K, 32GB Ram, RX Viper Rudder Pedals, AuthentiKit Controls + Fulcrum Yoke

atk-logo-354.jpg

@Spit40,

Thanks for the through-the-lens footage. From my testing with Reverb G1 and G2, one of the the best tests for image clarity is the crispness of the First Officer's Nav and PFD displays when I am sitting in the Captain's seat at his normal Eye Reference Point. I should be able to read the FO Nav display fairly clearly and probably will have some difficulty with the FO PFD except for the FO's large font Speed and maybe Altitude. If you get a chance to do another through-the-lens video (unless you already had to return it) that maybe with some sort of setup to hold the position fairly still - would be great. Also, in the same fixed direction at the First Officer's displays if you can show the edges of the FOV, we can get an idea of the size of sweet spot for off center of FOV viewing. When you show a closeup of a given display ( maybe a little leaning in ), it's not too helpful in that we already have that close of a view being clear with today's VR headsets. One question: if you use a camera instead of an eyeball, how does the pupil tracking work? I don't have a good idea how to do a through-the-lens clarity test for the outside scene - maybe the runway at a given weather/lighting setup of 5 miles or so - something that is just barely beginning to be clear in a Reverb G2 or equivalent. Another question, what is the resolution of your video camera - and what resolution does Microsoft flight simulator say for the VR render scaling.

Looks great! Thanks again.

P.S. It would seem that you would need to have a 6 or 8K display screen per eye in the headset where you would blend the focus area/foveal view (at 1X) with the lower resolution surrounds which would do hardware 2x or 3X upscaling?? Not sure how this works really

Edited by whitav8

PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070  VR=HP Reverb|   Software = Windows 10 | Flight SIms = P3D, CAP2, DCS World, IL-2,  Aerofly FS2

This is from the Varjo evaluation above by OPwebpage:

Varjo said its full-frame “bionic display” features human-eye resolution. In the focus area, the resolution is 1,920 pixels x 1,920 pixels per eye, while the peripheral area has a resolution of 2,880 x 2,720. The images refresh at a rate of 90 times per second, or 90 hertz, and the field of view is 115 degrees.

As above by OP: https://venturebeat.com/2020/12/01/varjo-launches-new-generation-of-human-eye-resolution-vr-headsets/

Maybe there is some sort of way to optically blend the highres area into the lowres area - because otherwise you would need a pair of display screens inside the headset that have the 1920x1920 res for the whole FOV -  highres area = 30 degrees  times 4 to get full FOV = 8K??

Edited by whitav8

I'm wondering whether these through the lens videos wouldn't deserve to be in 4K to really show the difference with the Varjo.

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)