Sign in to follow this  
tf51d

Running out of Memory under Vista Ultimate

I have FSX Deluxe and had it running under Windows XP fine.I installed Vista Ultimate onto my machine and reinstalled FSX and redid the tweaks. Now while it is running it runs better under Vista than it did in XP but it does not run for long. I have exactly the same settings I used in XP and am going through all the missions again.After a while FSX will stop and I usually find a message on the desktop saying that FSX has run out of memory and to close it down and reduce the scenery settings.My machine is a Core 2 6700 with 2GB DDR2 ram and a 8800GTX video card with 768MB onboard. I have increased the swap file from system managed to 3500-5000MB but still get the issue.Anyone else had this problem and know how to fix it and please don't say go back to XP. I want help not stupid comments.

Guest FxF3

I think with Vista you may need 4gb of memory as the sweet spot. Don't have it just heard that it has tons more services running in it thne XP had so you need more memory.

>I think with Vista you may need 4gb of memory as the sweet>spot. Don't have it just heard that it has tons more services>running in it thne XP had so you need more memory.Thanks but don't think that is it. With XP I had 22% in use of 2GB. Also I was running FSX under XP with 1GB with no issue except the laggies. With Vista I have 30% in use.It almost looks like a memory loss issue as it is okay for for a time but on longer flights it does it.

Well doesn't look like a memory issue as when it stopped it was only using 75% of available memory.

Guest JackDanielsDrinker

I get the same thing with Vista x64. Try slimming down the memory Vista uses. 1. Go to the Windows 2000 DWM (desktop window manager). System - Advanced - Performance - Adjust for best performance.2. Shut down anything in the system tray you don't need (I even turn off my anti-virus).3. Shut down the sidebar.4. Shut down non-essential services. I have a batch file that does this for when I run FSX. It shuts down 10-20 services. I will have to post it when I get home. I also have another one that turns the services back on.

Guest allcott

I wuold check the case for overheating - clean all fans and airflow ports. Then check the RAM is not faulty - use Memtest.FS remains the single biggest drain on system resources, no matter the OS. If any part of the system shows weakness, that could be it. Alternatively, try some different video drivers.Allcott

Guest abulaafia

Delete the swap file, reboot, make a new one. You most likely have the old XP swap file with stuff in it. It's always safer to tweak the registry to clear the pagefile.sys upon shutdown, even though shutdown will take longer.

>Delete the swap file, reboot, make a new one. You most likely>have the old XP swap file with stuff in it. It's always safer>to tweak the registry to clear the pagefile.sys upon shutdown,>even though shutdown will take longer. Nup, Its a fresh install not an upgrade. Fans work fine as does memory as the going back to XP works fine with no hassle (Dual bootable) It is just Vista that is the issue.

Guest FxF3

I have seen FSX use tons of Video memory as high as 360mb of video memory and over 2gb of main memory thats in XP so Vista may be a lot worse.Vista can't access 4gb ram sounds off to me but who knows I have no ideal about what Vista will do or not do.

Vista can, indeed, use the entire 4GB. The problem is that not all that memory is available for application use. On most systems there will be something between 500MB and 1GB of memory allocated for "system stuff". There's a pretty good explaination here: http://www.vistaclues.com/reader-question-...-windows-vista/ .Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

"Now while it is running it runs betterunder Vista than it did in XP but it does not run for long." If it doesn't run for long then it cannot run better under Vista.How is that possible?Craig

>>"Now while it is running it runs better>under Vista than it did in XP but it does not run for long." >>If it doesn't run for long then it cannot run better under>Vista.>How is that possible?Notice that I said "while it is running it runs better under Vista". Explains itself. Also note I asked for help not stupid comments.

I repeat...if it doesn't run for long then it's quite simple...it cannot run better than in XP where presumably it runs till you decideto stop it.