Sign in to follow this  
tf51d

Running out of Memory under Vista Ultimate

Guest JackDanielsDrinker

Good grief. Just ignore the troll.Do what I said above. Here are my batch files. The "on" file puts the machine in game mode (turns off services). The "off" file puts the machine back to normal (turns on services).Run the "on" batch file right before running FSX. Run the "off" batch file after you're done flying.You may want to go through them and make sure there aren't any services getting turned off that you need...like the IR service, etc. I left the print spooler on so you can print flight plans.This is my first pass. There are probably another 5-10 services I could whack..."on" file:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/166293.txt"off" file:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/166294.txtThe "off" file will sometimes hang while it is turning the Sidebar back on. Just close it and run it again. That clears it up.Also, Vista 32 bit can access 4 gigs of RAM. But it will chew some of that up, and I think it will only allocate 2 gigs per process. Vista x64 will access terabytes (and more) of RAM.Also, don't worry about your swap file...FSX does not like using the swap file. I have a 1 gig Turbocache flash drive that Vista is using to cache the swap file (Readyboost)...this isn't helping my FSX memory problem. I'm pretty sure that FSX knows it would slow to a CRAWL if it started swapping, so it just shuts down when it runs out of physical memory.

Thanks. Did not help. I have about 75% memory free when the message comes up, I am suspecting the missions because it is always exactly in the same spot in the mission that I am flying (Hawian). Some other longer missions have worked fine but this one barely lasts 4 minutes. Have yet to have it happen in free flight but have not done many long flights.

Is this perhaps related to other Core 2 Duo users reporting running out of memory using FSX under Vista? If that is the case, and it is an actual fault/bug, then there's not too much to do apparently. I don't use either Vista or a Core 2, just mentioning other rumours that I've seen elsewhere.

Guest in_04

Hi,the BUG is not related to Windows Vista only, I got the same error message under Winows XP SP2 before Vista was released.Problem is more related to your graphics settings. I got the bug if I set all slider to the right.Try newest nvidia driver 100.59 and try to reduce Mesh and or Water details. Should help.Have a simmilar system than yours, now with dual boot (Vista and XP).

Hello, I'm running into the same problem... I have Vista Ultimate 64bit. the Evga 680i, EVGA 8800gsx with 100.59 drivers, E6600, and 2gigs of ram... I was able to fly from PHX to TUS and on decent FSX gave me this error... I tried a flight from MRY to SJC with the same result on decent with the same error. I was flying the EMB120. For my setting pretty much everything is to the right except traffic. I'm able to obtain smooth fps around 15 locked and look really good... Windows XP was a bit better in the loading for texture around my A/C. I'm assuming the memory dump or whatever is happening has something to do with it... Hope to hear more, or a fix soon... Take Care

5Take Care, Will Clark

My computer: Intel 14900K, Motherboard ROR Maximus Z790 Formula, PSU Dark Power 1600, Ram DDR5 (7200) Vengeance 32GB CL38, ASUS 4090, Keyboard Logitech ASUS, Mouse ROCCAT LEADR Wireless, Corsair M.2 SSD 4TB x2, Headset Astro A50 Wireless, Microphone Elgato Wave 3, Stream Deck Elgato XL, GoXLR, Loopdeck Live, Chair Steelcase Gesture with Headrest, Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL ROG White, Custom Built water cooling, Ek Lian li xl distro plate, Fittings EK & Bitspower, Monitor LG C1 48 OLED, Desk Speakers Audio Engine A5+ White.

Guest enigmamcmxc3

hmmm interesting, 2gig of memory should be fine, what is your virtual memory set at? Its a horrible way to run things but could be a quick fix for you, i recommend at least 2 gig's of virtual memory on your fastest drive. Turn of indexing on all your drives. Install diskeeper with the autodefrag and ifaast on, so that it will move your most used files to the head of the drive. I believe it will run on windows vista. but i would check isohunt.com. Actually i looked and there is a build for vista. Let me know if that helps

Hello, thanks for everyone that has read this and offered help... Still having the same issue... Just to update... I have a clean install, and only one hard drive 375 gig 7200.10 western digital, I think... brand new... I installed the new MD-11 which looks pretty good for quick boot up and fly aircraft... No PMDG, but it will do for now... Wish I could fly it... can't even get to the end of the runway... I tried the 100.54 drivers and same result.... Thanks, hope most of you are able to enjoy FSX.. I'm hoping the upcoming patch will help, or someone will have a key to this issue...

5Take Care, Will Clark

My computer: Intel 14900K, Motherboard ROR Maximus Z790 Formula, PSU Dark Power 1600, Ram DDR5 (7200) Vengeance 32GB CL38, ASUS 4090, Keyboard Logitech ASUS, Mouse ROCCAT LEADR Wireless, Corsair M.2 SSD 4TB x2, Headset Astro A50 Wireless, Microphone Elgato Wave 3, Stream Deck Elgato XL, GoXLR, Loopdeck Live, Chair Steelcase Gesture with Headrest, Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL ROG White, Custom Built water cooling, Ek Lian li xl distro plate, Fittings EK & Bitspower, Monitor LG C1 48 OLED, Desk Speakers Audio Engine A5+ White.

Guest JackDanielsDrinker

You might try running Windows Defender...make sure you don't have any processes hanging around that shouldn't be there.You could also try running FSX in a window while Task Manager is running. You could then verify if FSX is really using all available physical RAM, and the out of memory message is correct, or if FSX is crashing and the message is misleading.If it is the former, then you may need to turn some settings down...though I run with stuff up pretty high on 2 gigs in Vista...If it is the latter, then it may not be memory.One last thing...burn yourself a MemTest CD...boot off it, and let it run overnight. You just want to make sure the 2 gigs you have is working correctly.

Guest rburgess1

Okay I've witnessed this 'problem' now on both of my machines. Its not a pagefile issue and its not what family photo you have on your desktop, and its definately not a grammar issue. The common item seems to be Vista Ultimate x64 and GeForce 8800. I have used all available driver sets, and have not messed with any of the FSX settings or added any third-party addons. Machine 1:HP XW8200Dual - Singlecore Nacona 3.6GHz8GB DDR2 PC 3200146GB 15K U320 diskEVGA 8800 GTX 100.59Vista x64 Ultimate - 16GB pagePerfmon shows the fsx*32.exe at 1,042,399 at the well documented out of system memory error.Machine 2:HP XW8400Dual - Dualcore X5150 2.66GHz4GB FBDIMM DDR2 PC320072GB 15K SASEVGA 8800 GTX 100.59Vista x64 Ultimate - 8GB pageAgain as soon as fsx*32.exe crossed the 1GB memory line, BOOM! She goes down.I realize that the x64ness of the OS is buying us ABSOLUTELY nothing when it comes to FSX cause it has to run in WOW64, but I am postulating that WOW64 is actually causing the issue rather than helping. Can anyone speak to running a <4GB box with VISTA 32bit ulitmate and similar video but NOT experience this crash?? I don't want to downgrade my workstations until this is proven to be the case.

Hey, Good find, hmmmm interesting... I actually had to RMA a memory module due to incorrect info on manufactures website... I'll have a 4gig machine next week sometime I hope... New Egg is pretty good about turn time... I will check out and re post when I'm back up and running... Hope by that time there is a solution... Take Care, and happy flying...

5Take Care, Will Clark

I am almost certain now it is a mission thing for me at least. It is one mission so far. It is very soon into the mission and it runs out at exactly the same spot every time. The gauges go blank and then alt-tabbing finds the error message on the desktop.Just now I went out wide around this spot in the flight path and it gave a stutter but carried on much further into the flight and nearly to the end. Tried the original planned path again and boom.

Guest angels355

Believe it or not, you need more ram! With Vista it takes 4 gb's of ram to be a power user. 2 gb's is only good for household use, not for running a heavy game. If you want a long read, I have an article that explains this. Vista manages ram differently than XP.

>Believe it or not, you need more ram! With Vista it takes 4>gb's of ram to be a power user. 2 gb's is only good for>household use, not for running a heavy game. If you want a>long read, I have an article that explains this. Vista>manages ram differently than XP.Rubbish. My system is showing 73% usage when it gives this message. That means there is 27% memory still free and this is using the tools from Vista itself.It does not explain why it works fine when I go round the spot that causes the memory error but if I go through it then boom.It is just plain and simple a bug in FSX that needs to be fixed.I turned everything right down with sliders all to the left and it still crashes in exactly the same spot.Yet I can fly free flight for hours with everything turned full to the right with no issues.

Guest angels355

Veld,Your problem could very well be something else. Whoever, 2 gb's of ram is only impressive with XP and FS9. 2 gb's with Vista and FSX is for casual pc users that don't really care about performance, i.e. little old ladies. Even though FSX is still only 32 bit, and under XP may only use 2 gb's of ram. But you have Vista, and Vista manages ram differently, I guess oppositely, to XP, it preloads as much as it can apparently. 4 gb's makes a big difference in performance. BTW, I have a weak computer with Fly!2K. With 768 mb's of ram it handles nearly everything in scenery textures even some light sat scenery textures. But with very high resolution scenery like for Los Angeles, I'll approach that location and wham, Fly!2K crashes to the desktop without fail, because that huge amount of data hitting my system is too much for it and it crashes. Then I unplugged 256 mb's of ram and plugged it into another computer I'm trying to prep for another flight sim installation. With only 512 mb's of ram, I was doing a steep NASA approach to the runway in a Lear, and the ORDINARY ground textures were rushing up to me rather fast, with only 512 mb's of ram this caused Fly!2K to crash to the desktop, which would not have happened with 768 mb's of ram. So any way, I have experienced my share of crashes due to lack of memory.Now as I said, your problem could be something else, however the only difference appears to be Vista, and with Vista, 2 gb's of ram is not adequate for serious gaming.Read this article one of my buddies found. It is long and dry, however trust me, it is extremely enlightening with regards to how Vista operates. With not enough ram you just barely get by, with 4 gb's of ram you can be a power user, it makes a big difference. Read this:http://www.anandtech.com/systems/showdoc.aspx?i=2917I'm not saying that this could be the only single problem, however when you read this article I think you will realize that lack of ram could be one important cause of problems. Good luck.

First, I believe this is a false message! I get these out of memory errors on startup in XP Media edition. I've checkrf the task manager and it shows over 1.4GB memory available, I can usually get by this just by continuing to initialize FS, but it is annoying! Resetting the page file as MS says to do, also doesn't solve the issue! I used to also get this in game itself after a few minutes or frames would drop to single digits, that appeared to be an actual memory loss issue! I have found the problem to be the BufferPool statements in the fsg.cfg file. Once I removed those statements, memory loss has not been an issue. I do infrequently get a memory can't be read error, but I believe this is something different as I still show no memory loss. The only other times FS will crash or the system will get a stop error, a video driver error, which unfortunately for me is a regular occurrence with ATI drivers in or out of FS! Otherwise I can run FSX for hours, My system is an E6700, 2GB with ATI X1950 Crossfires!

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d