Sign in to follow this  
Amrick615

AI traffic braking too hard on runway

Hey guys! 

I use AIG traffic. As with all P3D traffic, they brake way too hard on the runway after landing, and taxi at just barely a snail's pace to get off the runway. I have a couple questions for this: 

1) How do I change the slow-down speed and speed up the taxi speed for AI traffic?

2) Is there a way for AI to differentiate a high-speed taxiway as opposed to a perpendicular taxiway? 

I know the main AIG folder says to not alter anything in their files, so maybe I should be asking them these questions instead. I would still love to hear any expertise here as well, as this has been a well-known problem since sliced bread. 

Thank you, 

Amrick

2 hours ago, Amrick615 said:

Hey guys! 

I use AIG traffic. As with all P3D traffic, they brake way too hard on the runway after landing, and taxi at just barely a snail's pace to get off the runway. I have a couple questions for this: 

1) How do I change the slow-down speed and speed up the taxi speed for AI traffic?

2) Is there a way for AI to differentiate a high-speed taxiway as opposed to a perpendicular taxiway? 

I know the main AIG folder says to not alter anything in their files, so maybe I should be asking them these questions instead. I would still love to hear any expertise here as well, as this has been a well-known problem since sliced bread. 

Thank you, 

Amrick

Manual installation or via AIG OCI? 

I thought that AIC OCI automatically adjusted speed brakes, flaps and weight for a/c landings and roll out to be more realistic. Many of those modified aircraft.cfg files have been provided by Urmel.

My main concern is, that after landed a/c comes to stop on the runway, which is not realistic btw, some of them make U-turns to go back to an exit that they have already passed instead going forward to the next exit.

Edited by Nemo

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

I usually trick these planes with an afcad starting the exit path way before the exit, going on top of the runway path. But this is try and error. 

OS=WIN11 Home, Sim=P3D5 5.4 (P3D4 and FSX for install reasons)
Addons=ORBX, ASCA, AS, TOGA and tons of sceneries, aircraft

MB=Gigabyte AORUS Z790 Elite AX, CPU=i13900K, Cooling=Be quiet! Pure Loop II FX
GPU=KFA2 RTX3090 24 GB, RAM=64 GB DDR5-5600, HOTAS=Logitech G Saitek X52 Pro

Visit my website for fixes and addons: https://sites.google.com/view/dans-p3d-mods

I think some of this relates to ground friction in SIM1.dll. The default coefficient for rolling friction is way too high meaning more energy to move, this in turn makes the brakes over effective because it takes less energy to stop. When I was a p3d user I would always edit sim1 to change the default value of .60 (from memory may not be accurate) to 0.13

I think AI braking is binary, so to get a balance of normal airliner braking, the brakes scalar of the aircraft.cfg needs to be reduced to get a representative value of modest braking when fully applied.

As i know, with Lorby´s "AiAircraftTweaker" you can change the effectiveness of the brakes for the AI´s among other things of their configs.

Downloads - Lorby-SI  

• Upvote 1

Bernd

P3D V6 -  PC spec: Intel i9-9900 overclocked 5 GHz HT off, 32 GB RAM, GPU Nvidia RTX3090 24GB, 2xM2 SSD, Skalarki HomeCockpit and Jeehell FMGS on a dedicated Server, PF3 for ATC, MCE, GSX, EFB, AS+ASCA+ENV and OrbXpf3-supporter.gif

12 hours ago, Urmel81 said:

Manual installation or via AIG OCI? 

Thanks for the reply, Urmel. 

Installed via AIG-OCI

Just now I was monitoring a 737-800SSW landing into KLAS runway 8R. It was able to reach the first high speed taxiway (A4), however it slowed down to a speed of 12 KIAS and made a really slow taxi out of the runway. There was another aircraft on final which could have definitely made the landing had that first plane not taxied so slowly. Is there a way to fix that? 

Thank you

7 hours ago, BerndB said:

As i know, with Lorby´s "AiAircraftTweaker" you can change the effectiveness of the brakes for the AI´s among other things of their configs.

Downloads - Lorby-SI  

Is it okay to utilize this with AIG?

2 hours ago, Amrick615 said:

Is it okay to utilize this with AIG?

well, it´s changes the setting in the aircraft.cfg of each AI Simobject (aircraft). Can´t harm AIG itself. I´am using UTLive for traffic and have no issues noticed so far.

Bernd

P3D V6 -  PC spec: Intel i9-9900 overclocked 5 GHz HT off, 32 GB RAM, GPU Nvidia RTX3090 24GB, 2xM2 SSD, Skalarki HomeCockpit and Jeehell FMGS on a dedicated Server, PF3 for ATC, MCE, GSX, EFB, AS+ASCA+ENV and OrbXpf3-supporter.gif

I have noticed AI traffic always doing this. I used to use traffic global, but now use ultimate traffic live. The one thing I did notice is the massive reduction in overhead, FPS is much higher with UTL and better quality. Highly recommended.

Edited by TurboKen

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

I use AI Ground found here:

With some tweak on landing roll time, it works great for me

Re #1 I also use AI Ground to adjust the braking distance for the taxi turn-outs. Works quite well. In fact that utility can be used with ATC API in combination which helps to smooth the flow of AI traffic..

Re #2 I dont think there is a way to detect the difference between the type of taxiway turn-outs. I think this would require coding in the AFCAD for each airport I would imagine and I am not familiar with, at least in terms of airport scenery design using ADE, that taxiways are differentiated in such a way.

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

13 hours ago, Amrick615 said:

a really slow taxi out of the runway.

He's probably on a nasty duty tomorrow he doesn't want to do and is on minimum rest for it.  Now If he can drag that taxi out as long as possible the delayed off duty time might just be enough to throw him off that duty tomorrow. I mean it will shaft one of his colleagues, but he won't worry that. 

Ive learnt with 22 years in aviation, if he's taxi really slowly to the gate, have a quick check at what he's doing tomorrow. Normally the case. 

Right back to topic. Just giving you all an insight. 

Edited by fluffyflops

14ppkc-6.png

19 hours ago, Amrick615 said:

Thanks for the reply, Urmel. 

Installed via AIG-OCI

Just now I was monitoring a 737-800SSW landing into KLAS runway 8R. It was able to reach the first high speed taxiway (A4), however it slowed down to a speed of 12 KIAS and made a really slow taxi out of the runway. There was another aircraft on final which could have definitely made the landing had that first plane not taxied so slowly. Is there a way to fix that? 

Thank you

Most of the aircraft via OCI are adjusted. They are working good, of course not perfect, because its AI. The biggest issue is the airport configuration itself and the ade. You need good configured ade for this, so most of the ADEs need to be improved. Thats the issue on your case. You can adjust the aircraft.cfg for one airport, but this will cause other issues on other airports. The aircraft.cfg via OCI will always be improved from time to time, and this will overwrite settings youll have changed yourself. 

AI will always brake until they have reached 30kts and after that they are looking for the taxiway, sometimes they will do an 180 turn for this. 

This can only be fixed with an good ade. Some airports have really an difficult runway taxiway Layout in real life, which it makes really difficult for the ade designers. 

Im the person who updates the AI cfg for the OCI and I have updated nearly 200 ADE because of this issue. 

The ADEs are not puplic at the moment, only some old ones for v4 at jcai.dk.

Regards Urmel

22 hours ago, Urmel81 said:

Im the person who updates the AI cfg for the OCI and I have updated nearly 200 ADE because of this issue. 

The ADEs are not puplic at the moment, only some old ones for v4 at jcai.dk.

Regards Urmel

I've been using some of your older ADE files wih great success. Thaks for this. It is also great to hear that you are still working on good ADEs of add-on airports. I was also able to improve some ADEs by myself, but only smaller (easy) adjusments are within my skills. Curently I try hard at Flightbeams NZAA, where I see a lot of stupid U-turns on the runway. Until now I was not able to fix it or to reduce it. That seems to be beyond my possibilities.

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).