Sign in to follow this  
captain420

Possible to save in mid flight?

Since flying takes a lot of precious time, I don't have enough time to sit and fly the entire route. I was wondering is it possible to save in mid flight and then load the save and resume exactly from where I left off without any problems? This would be a game changer if the save game feature works with out any problems when loading back in.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

It does work.  Unfortunately, when you load the saved game back in, you cannot change the state of the weather for some reason; it has be be frozen at how you set it originally, and the weather menu simply won't work.

Not sure why it does this, as you can change it at will in the original flight.  It may be a bug.  Everything else is fine though if I recall correctly.

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

And the save feature works with all planes including 3rd party ones? I really hope they fix the weather thing then, that's a bummer.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

6 hours ago, captain420 said:

I really hope they fix the weather thing then, that's a bummer.

Yes.  ALL of the weather thing.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

When I load a saved flight the toolbar is no longer available and apart from that annoyance I frequently get a CTD.

Bruce

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Yup, you're right. The weather icon is missing after I load my save. Wonder if this is intentional or a bug.

No, it's not a bug. When you save a flight, you are saving ALL of the data for that situation, including the weather. Therefore when you re-load the flight, the exact situation is re-created as you left it, weather included. 

6 hours ago, cobalt said:

No, it's not a bug. When you save a flight, you are saving ALL of the data for that situation, including the weather. Therefore when you re-load the flight, the exact situation is re-created as you left it, weather included. 

Yes but just because you are re-opening a saved scenario there is no logical reason to block access to weather. It is a poor design decision and reminds me of the days when FSX decided you could only turn on certain lights when the sim decided it was dusk. Sim developers should always strive to give the end user choices in all scenarios. So no, it is not a bug but a silly design policy.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

Flight plan does  does not restore as well so no fmc .

Colin hodds

I7 9700K,nvidia 3090 ,ssd ,32gig 3200mhz ram ,win10,prep3d

14 hours ago, robert young said:

Yes but just because you are re-opening a saved scenario there is no logical reason to block access to weather. It is a poor design decision and reminds me of the days when FSX decided you could only turn on certain lights when the sim decided it was dusk. Sim developers should always strive to give the end user choices in all scenarios. So no, it is not a bug but a silly design policy.

Agreed. 

Its also been an annoyance to me for different reasons.  The scenery design tools are all "in game" - you have to maneuver your plane/camera to the spot you want to work on to make your changes.  Typically i choose a nearby airport (or sometimes gps coordinates) on the world map, then slew to the precise location.  I then SAVE the game.  This gives a very quick and rapid way to pop back exactly where I want to.  

The annoyance comes in when I want to test the stuff I'm working on in different weather conditions.  If I started with the save that isnt possible.  In those cases I have to reslew to my spot.

Sure, I could probably figure out the precise coords and type them in each time.  The point, however, is that locking out weather changes from a saved game is an odd design choice and somewhat narrows the utility of the save feature itself.

These are all points well taken. I was just clarifying that the inability to change the weather in a saved flight is not a bug in the program. The way I get around this problem (sort of) is to change the weather to whatever I want it to be, before I save the flight. Typically, for me this is mainly about setting the time of day. 

If you save from the opening Welcome screen, then you create a .flt file and a .pln file. If you click the .flt file to open it, then no weather change is possible. If you click the .pln file it is possible.

When you save in flight, you only create a .flt file and not a .pln file. That is the problem.

Way back, close to day 1 of launch, I reported this to zendesk as an issue. But it never made the list of things they were considering to change or fix.

Edited by Fielder

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

The .pln file is just your legs on your the route. The actual .flt is the file that saves your current save state of the plane, etc.

Kinda confusing on this save game thing. They need to simplify it more. For instance if I were to use the FBWA320 and I have my flight plan all programmed and enroute, and I save my flight. When loading back my .flt save file, will it also include my routes in my MCDU or do I need to also save the. pln file separately and load that back up as well?

On 7/23/2021 at 1:55 AM, cobalt said:

Maybe for live weather but didn't save the custom winds I put in

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K