Sign in to follow this  
RFields5421

Runway lighting at daytime

Guest jakobht

HiI don't know if this has been asked before (probably has) but is it possible to get runway lighting during the day period and in fair weather in Flight Simulator ?My local airport has runway lights on all day (not taxiways) and I have seen other airports with this, but in FS they are off until it gets dark or foggy.It would add a bit more realism if this could be enabled.Jakob

Guest christianholmes

I don't think it's more realistic necessariy becuase in real life they aren't required to be on during the day. Where do you live that an airport would do that? Is it foggy alot? None of the airports I fly to in real life have any lighting during the day unless the weather is really bad (which I don't fly VFR in).As for your question- I don't think flight simulator will do that, but I could be wrong.

Guest steve43

Yes, I would be interested in seeing if this is possible too. My local airport also has lights on whatever the conditions. I notice in FSX they do come on when you bring down the visibility for example during the day.Steve

As far as we can tell - FS runway lights only come 'on' based upon the clock for light / dark,and under certain visibility conditions.Some addon developers might have been able to make Pilot Controlled Lighting work - I seem to remember something about it - but I'm sure it's done outside the FS normal process.

Guest jakobht

Thanks for the quick replies.I live in Esbjerg, Denmark. My local airport (EKEB) is primarily used for a lot offshore helicopter flights and a single Ryanair flight from London (and it is only open during the day).We do not have particularly bad weather, so it cannot be because of that.But I think you might be right about the fact that FS does not support this feature.Jakob

This is one thing I have never understood with the FS series.. it has always stubbornly (sic) refused to have runway lights on during good vis or daylight conditions. Yet every airport I've ever landed at / been to in the UK / Ireland have the lights ON even in the daytime!!I'm sure its an easy thing to patch, FS Team??OPTION - [ ] - Runway_lights_always_on????I'm sure many people would agree???

Years ago, Adam Szofran had pilot-controlled lighting capability with his FSASM scenery compiler. But man, that was way back, probably FS98 or possibly 5.1. Different sim, different time.I don't know if PCL, or any other way to control lights, is in FSX.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Yes, PCL would be cool and a Push-To-Talk button as theoretically you need to transmit on the frequency to turn the lights on. Perhaps the capability of using this could be smuggled into SP1 ?Siggy

Siggy Schwarz

Guest DP1

PCL has certainly been done in the past, although not a default thing. Back in FS98 I had some free (donation actually)add on Australian scenery which had PCL. I can't remember the name of it but it was very well done. So it could be done so I assume it probably still can be, maybe. Actually I don't know why it's not done that way by default. Surely MS could give us a choice 1. lazy pilot who wants lighting all the time, or 2. Keen pilot who wants to turn his own lights on.

Implementation wise it's probably not 'totally easy' :) to do.Who would turn the lights off again ? I guess the lights would run on a timer. So the simulator needs to keep the state for the lights. For instance you would fly away from the airport, the airport would be unloaded from memory and then you come back and want to find the lights still on since the 30 mins, or whatever it would be, have not passed yet. The state would be lost. But I guess we could live with that and turn them on again.Siggy

Siggy Schwarz

Siggy,I think it wouldn't be so diffcult. If an aircraft, be it AI or your own, is tuned into the ILS or DME of an airport then the lights should be on. Sure, if no traffic has been to the airport for 15mins or so then they can turn off automatically.The important argument here is that, as in real life, airport lights are ON during the day and we'd really like the same option in our fav sim....please?

I think it would be a lot easier to add a property to the airport lights.These are the runway lighting elements Just add a value:centerAlwaysOn="TRUE" or "FALSE"edgeAlwaysOn="TRUE" or "FALSE"etc....Pilot or aircraft controlled lighting would require creating trigger event items, trigger event XML/BGL codings, and triggering procedure.

>PCL has certainly been done in the past, although not a>default thing. Back in FS98 I had some free (donation>actually)add on Australian scenery which had PCL. I can't>remember the name of it but it was very well done. That would be some of Adam Szofran's FSASM coded scenery. It was out of Australia.You know, Adam Szofran is now working for Microsoft and is on the FS team--so you would think we would see PCL in there, but unfortunately it does not appear to be...RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

Or how about PCL="TRUE" or "FALSE"of course your two vals would allow independent control of the edge lights and center lights. I don't know if that is a real-world scenario or not, but I would think it's all lights on or all lights off with PCL. ??RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

Actually there would be several lighting options which might or might not need the always on option. RELIS strobes, MASLR, End red lights, green end row lights, etc.Those are all added to the airports as separate elements, so each element needs it's own properties, unless MS chose to go with an element like:globalRunwayLightsOn="TRUE" or FALSEI'm assuming people would want the ability to set each runway separately. The problem with a global type setting for an entire runway is what behavior occurs if the lights are set to always on, but no lights are defined?A PCL setting would work, but we would need a communication setting element to control it, etc.It gets complicated fast.Could it be done - Yes undoubtedlyWill MS do it - No, unless plenty of people (at least hundreds, maybe thousands) send e-mails to MS, or use the Feedback capability on the FSInsider website.