Sign in to follow this  
captain420

Carenado 182 vs default C172 G1000

I'm kinda undecided on whether or not I should get the Carenado 182 or just stick with the default c172 G1000. Which one is better overall in terms of features, graphics, and realism between these two?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

4 hours ago, captain420 said:

I'm kinda undecided on whether or not I should get the Carenado 182 or just stick with the default c172 G1000. Which one is better overall in terms of features, graphics, and realism between these two?

The Carenado C182 is alright but nothing special.  It is a great looking model as expected from them, and it flies alright, but I am not too keen on the engine sound.

Also, not a Carenado problem, but I really don't like the way the 182 seems to lean back on the ground.  

I don't really fly it any more.  I still tend to go back to the default, or some of the Bagolu modded ones, such as the bush 172. 

It might be a good purchase on sale, but other than that, I would be hesitant unless money is no object.

There are far better things to spend your money on it MSFS.  The best Carenado by far I have bought up to now was the Seneca, but it's a big twin of course.

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

This was the first plane I bought for MSFS, I did the first 1/3 of my world tour with it as I liked it a lot.

The good:
- 3D model & texturing is good as always with Carenado
- visual "gimmicks" : ground power unit, openable cabin & cargo doors
- once the elevator is tweaked (see below), it has a good flight model that feels realistic for a 182 (I'm not a real pilot though).

The bad:
- Some people don't like the engine noise, especially in external view. I don't fly external, and I find the engine noise fine, it doesn't sound that far from what I hear on Youtube for a TIO-540 engine.
- The only avionics option is the G1000.
- The elevator is too sensitive ; in the MSFS Options, I duplicated the default settings for my yoke and made a custom setup for this plane, with sensitivity turned way down, that fixes the problem 100%, I just have to remember switching options when switching planes.
- The climbing performance is a bit too strong, expect at least 500fpm better performance than what the POH says. And beeing a Marketplace plane, no way to correct this.

So it's a good plane, I had tens of hours of very pleasurable flights with it, I don't regret buying it at all.
But would I buy it today, with a much bigger choice ? Probably not. I've gotten bored of glass avionics, and if I need to fly a GA plane at high altitude, I'll fly the JustFlight Turbo Arrow or the (modded) Trinidad TB-21GT instead.

Also, I don't think I'll ever buy from the marketplace again. A lot of delay to get updates, and I need to be able to tweak my planes. 🙂

• Like 3

I bought the Carenado 182 when I first got MSFS 2020. What a colossal waste of money, Nothing good about it that I could find. I flew it twice, and really should just uninstall it to save some space.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Bought it, fly it a few times. Prefer the default C172 due to the elevator sensitivity. I don't like having to change the controller profile with every flight.

... and one would think this would be a perfectly simple issue for Carenado to address? Evidently not. Pity, as their X-Plane 11 C182 is really nice. 

• Like 1

Yes, I really don't get it with Carenado.  Sometimes they do good things that you wouldn't expect (Seneca etc.), and other times they just take no notice of obvious bugs that need fixing - strange!

Edited by bobcat999

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

5 hours ago, bobcat999 said:

The Carenado C182 is alright but nothing special.  It is a great looking model as expected from them, and it flies alright, but I am not too keen on the engine sound.

Also, not a Carenado problem, but I really don't like the way the 182 seems to lean back on the ground.  

I don't really fly it any more.  I still tend to go back to the default, or some of the Bagolu modded ones, such as the bush 172. 

It might be a good purchase on sale, but other than that, I would be hesitant unless money is no object.

There are far better things to spend your money on it MSFS.  The best Carenado by far I have bought up to now was the Seneca, but it's a big twin of course.

Same with me. It's the only Carenado plane for MSFS that reeks of his cookie cutter production line he had with FSX/P3D/X-Plane so I'm able to forgive him since every release after this he stepped up the game a bit and every plane FINALLY doesn't feel exactly like all the others. 

• Like 1

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

2 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

I bought the Carenado 182 when I first got MSFS 2020. What a colossal waste of money, Nothing good about it that I could find. I flew it twice, and really should just uninstall it to save some space.

Ditto here for me. Bought it immediately upon release in marketplace. Flew it once or twice and deemed it a complete waste and have ignored it since. 

• Like 1

It doesn't really convey the difference between it and the 172 very well as is the case with the real thing. It does have the advantage of opening doors if that's important to you, but the real 182 has much better penetration than the 172 which makes it a better aeroplane in trickier weather and that is what makes it worth having in real life compared to a 172. In the sim, it doesn't really confer that advantage.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I really like the 182. I got it as the first add-on.

This video was shot when the sim was just a month or so old.

I used AirManager to build steam gauges. And I love flying it this way.

I have flown several 182's IRL and I feel this is a good representation.

• Like 1

Pit.jpg

Com GA Pilot, Retired • MSFS 2020 • Gigabyte 8th gen lga1151 motherboard z2370 hd3, i5 8600 8th gen 4.3ghz, Thermaltake 750w power supply, 4 x 8gb ddr4 dimm, MSI force GTO 1070 8gb ddr5, 4 SSD's • 4K main display with 3 HD displays, one is a touch screen. Often used as 3 1080P NVIDEA surround screens and one HD touchscreen for AirManager

I'd buy the Mooney instead.  A lot faster, analogue gauges etc.  A million repaints for it haha.  Oh also supports PMS GTN.

Edited by ryanbatcund
  • Like 4

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

2 hours ago, ryanbatcund said:

I'd buy the Mooney instead.  A lot faster, analogue gauges etc.  A million repaints for it haha.  Oh also supports PMS GTN.

Agreed, the Mooney is a great add on IMO!

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

Picked it up at launch. It is pretty meh even by carenado standards. Some decent repaints on flightsim.to Doesn't hold a candle to the a2a one in p3d. I enjoy the analog 172 much more.

Nick Silver

http://www.youtube.com/user/socalf1fan

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb ddr4 3200mhz ram, RTX 3080 FE, HP Reverb G2 v2, 4K Tv Monitor

1 hour ago, CaptainNick said:

Picked it up at launch. It is pretty meh even by carenado standards. Some decent repaints on flightsim.to Doesn't hold a candle to the a2a one in p3d. I enjoy the analog 172 much more.

Yeah, once you have flown the A2A C 182, this Carenado version is garbage. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I really wish A2A would bring their fleet to MFS. Haven't heard a word from them.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU