Sign in to follow this  
chickster25

How do you buy your Orbx scenery?

I have been admiring the Orbx scenery and am about to push the button on a couple of purchases, but I see there are two options if you want to add their sceneries

1. Install Orbx Central

Pros

- get updates immediately

-can install files to another folder and link to Community folder

-Orbx get 100% of proceeds

Cons

- Have to pay in AUD, so unsure of exact price 

- Exchange rate issues 

-Have to install Orbx Central on gaming PC

2. Purchase via MSFS Marketplace

Pros

-No need for Orbx Central install

-Can pay in GBP, so I know the exact cost

Cons

-Delay in updates

-Files installed into Official folder

-Files stored directly in game folder, not loaded via a link

-Microsoft take a cut of proceeds

What is your choice?

Edited by chickster25

Another Con with the marketplace, the files are encrypted. So third party apps, like LittleNavMap, can’t read the scenery files.

This only applies to paid items, free items (like the world updates) are not encrypted.

Edited by Tuskin38
  • Like 1

ORBX Central for sure, easy to buy, to install to update and to remove!

Edited by Pat Mussotte
  • Like 3

MSFS - XPlane11 & 12- P3D4 - Windows 10 64 bit - Corsair One i140 - i7 9700K 3.6Ghz - nVidia GeForce TRX 2080 

Patrick Mussotte

I've been an ORBX user since day one - way before ORBX Central - which is now a really clever app.

100% go with ORBX Central. Also - if you also use Addons Linker, you can set up a library location in Orbx Central, then use the Linker to enable/disable areas you're not currently flying in.

Updating is painless too. The only downside is that it's too bloomin' easy to buy more scenery via ORBX, LOL!

To be honest, I just don't trust Marketplace.

BTW - there are a few browser extensions that give you exchange rates.

Edited by Adamski_NZ
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png

ORBX Central because I am lazy. I need it to install and update so I may as well buy direct from there too. 

ORBX Central, I avoid the Marketplace except for specific Asobo related items.

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

I've only bought a few small airports on sale, so I just get them from the marketplace.  I figure they've already been updated by the time I get to them.  For things like aircraft or even larger sceneries it might be a bigger concern.  I doubt their little GA airfields need much updating and that's all I'm buying.  Also I usually have money on my MS account from one sale or another.  Often I find deals on gift cards that are a $50 card for $45 or 100 for 90, etc.  Saves a few bucks.

Again I've purchased very little at all so far to be honest. 

I did recently install the Orbx app to download some freeware and might start using it.  I've been looking heavily at Skypark.  More store and marketplace apps is more of a headache for me to be honest, but this one does seem pretty solid. 

I guess I don't have the same apprehension with the marketplace as others do.  I do see the point about updates being a major issue for things like aircraft.  I wouldn't want to buy a plane only to find out that it has bugs that are patched but that patch isn't available yet.  The only a/c I have bought are from JustFlight anyway and I don't think they have an option. 

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

I use both.

No problems either way.

I don't mind supporting MS, we want them to make money so development and support continuous.

My preference is the Marketplace, but sometimes I want new product right away, so then Orbx.

Pit.jpg

Com GA Pilot, Retired • MSFS 2020 • Gigabyte 8th gen lga1151 motherboard z2370 hd3, i5 8600 8th gen 4.3ghz, Thermaltake 750w power supply, 4 x 8gb ddr4 dimm, MSI force GTO 1070 8gb ddr5, 4 SSD's • 4K main display with 3 HD displays, one is a touch screen. Often used as 3 1080P NVIDEA surround screens and one HD touchscreen for AirManager

Orbx all the way.

As time has rolled on the marketplace seems ever more of a turn off.

Non availability, super sluggish updates, marketplace specific CTDs with certain aircraft and certain aircraft removing things to satisfy marketplace requirements. 

I may well regret it if I buy an Xbox, and I get the impression the marketplace does regional pricing unlike the third parties, but it would always be my final choice. 

ORBX Central for sure, " you already own this product" is my problem......😜

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Orbx Central, I like the discovery option inside the app, you can see scenery you own, scenery with discounts and where they are… its really nice

Orbx Central, it's easy as pie. I also don't like buying from the Marketplace.

Cheers, Pete

Pete Solov - Lake in the Hills 3CK

and Schaumburg Regional 06C
Proud AOPA Member - PPL 2001
Real World Piper Cherokee Pilot

Orbx central for sure. Its such a great app and now that they sell products from other develepers its easy to manage purchases and product updates. Also the $AUS has always been in the toilet compared to GBP so bank on it being somewhere close to 1/2. Has been like that for over 50 years