Sign in to follow this  
bobcat999

MSFS Propellers... Do they need some love?...

As a lot of us are waiting for the big update next Tuesday, and with all of the excitement (and trepidation) that brings :smile:, I thought I might try to distract myself (and maybe some others) by things that aren't necessarily on the Asobo improvement list, but might be shuffled on at the bottom of the list as all the features are added and bugs gradually squashed.  So, light hearted discussion...

One of the things I noticed from the start are the propellers.  The propeller blade animations seem to freeze of move erratically at some power settings.   I have seen it raised in the JF Arrow forum, and JF apparently said they followed the Asobo SDK on such things. (Actually, it might have been the AH Cessna 140, or both, things move so quickly on the MSFS forums these days).  

But I notice not all aircraft have the effect.  I think Carenado use a different system that looks more natural, and I have myself downloaded all of the prop mods available to make it less noticeable on the default aircraft; I believe these mods just have the alpha channel adjusted to make them less noticeable (more transparent).

What do people think?  Is this MSFS prop method different from FSX, P3D, and Xplane, where I didn't seem to notice it so much?  Any tech explanation would be good of why it appears this way, and possible solutions of course.

Obviously some people won't be bothered by this, as there is not a lot of noise about it, but do the prop anims need some TLC?

Edited by bobcat999

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

Isn't there an addon on flightsim.to that reworked most of the default propeller animations? Honestly, this is something I never realized as being bad or strange since I installed this addon, you might try this one and see if it covers what you observe?

https://flightsim.to/file/3412/10-propeller-mods-for-the-fs2020-standard-edition

https://flightsim.to/file/3623/6-propeller-mods-for-the-fs2020-premium-deluxe-edition

• Like 3

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

17 minutes ago, AnkH said:

Isn't there an addon on flightsim.to that reworked most of the default propeller animations? Honestly, this is something I never realized as being bad or strange since I installed this addon, you might try this one and see if it covers what you observe?

https://flightsim.to/file/3412/10-propeller-mods-for-the-fs2020-standard-edition

https://flightsim.to/file/3623/6-propeller-mods-for-the-fs2020-premium-deluxe-edition

Yes AnkH, as I stated above

>
I have myself downloaded all of the prop mods available to make it less noticeable on the default aircraft; I believe these mods just have the alpha channel adjusted to make them less noticeable (more transparent).
<

They do make it a lot better.  That is why I notice it more with some of the payware.  It is even apparent on the DC-6.  I am just wondering why, since they follow the MSFS SDK.

PS.  Thanks for posting the links.  I had lost track of them in case I ever need to re-download.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

Haha, sometimes I should really read the entire post, no? Sorry for that 😉 

• Like 2

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Bob-

We’re all collectively participating in this grand experiment/paid Beta that is MSFS. Perhaps a quiet moment of reflection in your backyard pool will soothe the soul? Works for me 😉

C

• Like 1

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

It wasn't an issue for me until I saw what ED did with the propellers on the WWII planes lol. Asobo can definitely take a page from the improvements DCS got.

• Like 4

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

@Krakin  Wow!  Thanks for this.  Now that is what I 'm talking about. 

If Eagle Dynamics can do this in DCS, then hopefully Asobo can get around to it doing something similar eventually. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Krakin said:

It wasn't an issue for me until I saw what ED did with the propellers on the WWII planes lol. Asobo can definitely take a page from the improvements DCS got.

If propellers looked like that in MSFS I’d learn to fly from the external view looking backwards at the nose of the airplane. 

• Like 1

Man, DCS is looking so good. If only I was smart enough to learn a new sim. 

• Like 2