Sign in to follow this  
Pascal_LSGC

New Dune trailer

I don't know if movie trailers are considered advertising, in that case, please mods feels free to delete this post.

There must be some geeks fans of Frank Herbert's Dune around here. I have been waiting for a good adaptation half of my life. Apparently, here it is.

Cheers!

Pascal

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

This looks pretty darn good.

The original Dune movie was OK, but I was never really crazy about it.

Thanks for posting this.

Dave

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

12 minutes ago, dave2013 said:

This looks pretty darn good.

Thanks for posting this.

Dave

You're welcome! There was an event in many IMAX theaters yesterday where they showed the first ten minutes of the movie, plus 8 minutes of another scene, and all the reactions I've read has been overwhelmingly positive! I have total confidence in Denis Villeneuve to bring this world to life, even more so after viewing this trailer. And I think it has the potential to please that hardcore fans and the much broader general public at the same time, which would be quite an achievement given the reputation of the book being impossible to adapt to cinema.
Same take as you on the Lynch's 1984 Dune movie, and I could never convince myself to watch the 2000 miniseries, the costumes and effects look way too cheap.

I'm not 'feeling' Paul in any of the trailers. I'm worried his lack of onscreen presence will be covered up with the CGI effects elsewhere.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SoJourned said:

I'm not 'feeling' Paul in any of the trailers. I'm worried his lack of onscreen presence will be covered up with the CGI effects elsewhere.

Some of those who have seen the IMAX event say he's perfect. Remember that he is supposed to be only 15 and small for his age.
If I had to nitpick, I'd agree with some people pointing out the not soo good cgi in the golden armor near the end. But it only looks off because the other effects and costumes are insanely good.

Edited by Pascal_LSGC

It's looking promising. The original was garbage. It's looking like another "dark", literally, movie though which doesn't please me. I don't mind low key, but not so low key the detail is missing. 

7 minutes ago, martin-w said:

It's looking promising. The original was garbage. It's looking like another "dark", literally, movie though which doesn't please me. I don't mind low key, but not so low key the detail is missing. 

I'd say the tones are more varied and contrasted than in the first trailer. And Villeneuve has been clear that it's been filmed for the big screen, which has more dynamic range than a tv or computer screen. BTW, do yourself a favor and go to theaters if you want to see this movie.

Oh, and "the original" is not another movie, it's a book. And this one is not a remake. 😉

Edited by Pascal_LSGC

5 hours ago, Pascal_LSGC said:

Oh, and "the original" is not another movie, it's a book. And this one is not a remake. 😉

I know, and may have read the book before you were born. 🙄 And I didn't say it was a remake.

I was obviously referring to the first film when I said the original film.

I'm a science fiction fan as is my son. Neither of us are unaware of such things.

And no, I can't go to the cinema. Well I can but it's miniscule and garbage. Well I can go to a better cinema, but would have to get on a ferry or plane.

Edited by martin-w

32 minutes ago, martin-w said:

I know, and may have read the book before you were born. 🙄 And I didn't say it was a remake.

I was obviously referring to the first film when I said the original film.

I'm a science fiction fan as is my son. Neither of us are unaware of such things.

And no, I can't go to the cinema. Well I can but it's miniscule and garbage. Well I can go to a better cinema, but would have to get on a ferry or plane.

Didn't mean to be rude 😉 

I doubt you read it before I was born. Probably before me though: I started the first book around '83, I think.
I hope you find a way to see it!

No, I'll wait for it to be streamed or DVD. The cinema here isn't  impresive at all I'm afraid. We are a relatively small island. 

7 hours ago, dave2013 said:

Why do I seem to recall two film versions of Dune?  I distinctly remember Patrick Stewart playing the role of "Gurney Halleck". I also remember "Sting" who played the role of Feyd-Rautha, Baron Harkonnen's nephew.

Maybe I just dreamed up this alternate movie? I do have a complete collection of every book in the Dune series. It is easy to tell when Frank's son Brian takes up the reigns, as they aren't quite as good as his dad's are!

I'm going have to dig around to find my DVDs of these two movies.

This new version however looks to be very good! 

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

3 minutes ago, n4gix said:

Why do I seem to recall two film versions of Dune?  I distinctly remember Patrick Stewart playing the role of "Gurney Halleck". I also remember "Sting" who played the role of Feyd-Rautha, Baron Harkonnen's nephew.

Maybe I just dreamed up this alternate movie? I do have a complete collection of every book in the Dune series. It is easy to tell when Frank's son Brian takes up the reigns, as they aren't quite as good as his dad's are!

I'm going have to dig around to find my DVDs of these two movies.

This new version however looks to be very good! 

I think there has been a few different cuts (no "director's cut" though). And there are the mini series around 2000.

I'm into Dune. I'm just worried about the castings.

When I first looked at these trailers, I 100% thought the main actor could probably do Paul Atriedes pretty well but NOT Mua'dib. (Kind of like Andrew Garfield doing a good Spider-Man but not a good Peter Parker). I was a fan of Sting's Feyd Rautha. I liked whomever played the Baron. I'm wondering if Bautista will be good in amore serious roll. (Love in Guardians of the Galaxy).

Either way, I think I'm already sold on going to see this. I hope its good!

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma

22 minutes ago, SKEWR said:

I'm into Dune. I'm just worried about the castings.

When I first looked at these trailers, I 100% thought the main actor could probably do Paul Atriedes pretty well but NOT Mua'dib. (Kind of like Andrew Garfield doing a good Spider-Man but not a good Peter Parker). I was a fan of Sting's Feyd Rautha. I liked whomever played the Baron. I'm wondering if Bautista will be good in amore serious roll. (Love in Guardians of the Galaxy).

Either way, I think I'm already sold on going to see this. I hope its good!

I see your point with Paul Atreides / Muad'dib. I think that overall, the cast is fantastic. And Villeneuve is very good at directing actors.

Bautista was very good in Blade Runner 2049 (in a serious role - small part).

I'm sure Stellan Skarsgard (the Baron), Xavier Bardem (Stilgar), and Oscar Isaac's performance will be stellar. Rebecca Ferguson looks like a very good choice for Lady Jessica (I didn't see her in other movies though).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SKEWR said:

I liked whomever played the Baron.

Kenneth McMillan played Baron Harkonnen.

While rather gross looking with all those malignant pustules, it is faithful to the story arc that Frank Herbert wrote. He was deliberately infected when he displeased a Bene Gesserit with home he had once had sex That liaison produced his secret daughter... the Lady Jessica!

• Like 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator