Sign in to follow this  

Anyone using track IR with msfs (poor mans VR) I’m considering getting it but looking for opinions, Ive looked at videos, and while it looks cool, I find it kinda seems like it would be an awkward device to use, head turned one way while straining your eyes to keep them on the screen. 

it also seems like it would throw me off on my natural head movements (almost like I would have to put a lot of effort in trying to keep my head still) 

trying to get a feel for this track ir before spending $200+…any opinions would be appreciated! 

Cheers my friends!

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

I use it for every flight, its fantastic. You can have a dead spot if you wish, so it does not move if you make small head movments, I hate that i have no dead spots, it also does not ever mean your looking out the corner of your eyes. It's all down to setting it up to your own liking/needs.

You forget you are using it as you look to turn when taxi'ing etc becasue it is so natural to use. ON approach etc its priceless. Within a few flights you will wonder why you left it so long to buy.

Edited by Nyxx
  • Like 9
  • Upvote 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Never fly without it! Once you get used to it you won’t either! 😎

• Like 7

AMD Ryzen 5900X - Asus Crosshair VI Hero - G.Skill 32GB (2x16GB) 3000 C14 DDR4 @ 3600 14-14-15-14-28-42

AMD Red Devil Radeon 6900XT  2700/2112 1125mv - 3 x Iiyama G-Master GB2888UHSU 4k @ 11560x2160

Saitek X-55 Rhino - Track IR5 - Obutto Sim Cockpit + Triple Monitor Stand - Fancy some Techno? https://www.mixcloud.com/dj_bully/

I tried getting use to it, but have mixed feelings about it. One thing that I can't stand is when I turn my head I still have to keep my eyes pointed straight at the display which makes it feel very unnatural and awkward for me. That is the main reason why I don't use it much.

• Like 1

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

15 minutes ago, captain420 said:

I tried getting use to it, but have mixed feelings about it. One thing that I can't stand is when I turn my head I still have to keep my eyes pointed straight at the display which makes it feel very unnatural and awkward for me. That is the main reason why I don't use it much.

Adjust your axis sensitivity.  I can move my head 5% and get almost all of the peripheral vision I need and at 15% head movement have 90 degree head movement in the sim.  I don't use any of the default profiles in TrackIR, always my own with head movement slowed down dramatically.

• Like 3

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Once you set Track IR up properly which takes a few minutes, you will never fly without it. 

• Like 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

9 minutes ago, psolk said:

Adjust your axis sensitivity.  I can move my head 5% and get almost all of the peripheral vision I need and at 15% head movement have 90 degree head movement in the sim.  I don't use any of the default profiles in TrackIR, always my own with head movement slowed down dramatically.

Funny.  I found that the default profile suited me fine. It just proves that it might work out of the box but if it doesn't, you can modify the profile to suit your needs. The configurable deadzone allows normal head movements while keeping your screen still. Once you move outside the deadzone, you can have linear or curved profiles for viewing around.
The fact that your view moves faster than your head isn't a bother. In fact, I did not need to get used to it and it feels natural.
It also allows to move your head inside the cockpit to see (and use) a switch that would otherwise be obscured by a lever.

• Like 2

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

I've had it for years, but also have mixed feelings. Rarely use it in flight simulation now having gone back to using the hat switch on my joystick. It has its obvious merit but, in spite of trying different profiles and customizing my own, I find it too fiddly interacting with buttons, knobs and controls in the virtual cockpit when using it. I know there is a pause button, but I do not find that convenient to look for on the keyboard and press before and after interacting with the the virtual cockpit. I do use it in American Truck Sim where it's great as I do not interact with anything on the screen like I do in flight sim. Anyway, it ultimately comes down to personal choice. Some love it - others not so much.

• Like 1

Martin 

Sims: MSFS and X-plane 11

Home Airport: CYCW - Chilliwack, BC Canada

i5 13600KF 32GB DDR4 3600 RAM, RTX3080TI  HP Reverb G2

6 minutes ago, turnandbank said:

I've had it for years, but also have mixed feelings. Rarely use it in flight simulation now having gone back to using the hat switch on my joystick. It has its obvious merit but, in spite of trying different profiles and customizing my own, I find it too fiddly interacting with buttons, knobs and controls in the virtual cockpit when using it. I know there is a pause button, but I do not find that convenient to look for on the keyboard and press before and after interacting with the the virtual cockpit. I do use it in American Truck Sim where it's great as I do not interact with anything on the screen like I do in flight sim. Anyway, it ultimately comes down to personal choice. Some love it - others not so much.

My pause button is on my joystick, easy to set up. 

• Like 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

1 hour ago, flyinpilot212121 said:

Anyone using track IR with msfs (poor mans VR) I’m considering getting it but looking for opinions, Ive looked at videos, and while it looks cool, I find it kinda seems like it would be an awkward device to use, head turned one way while straining your eyes to keep them on the screen. 

it also seems like it would throw me off on my natural head movements (almost like I would have to put a lot of effort in trying to keep my head still) 

trying to get a feel for this track ir before spending $200+…any opinions would be appreciated! 

Cheers my friends!

I also use TrackIR for every flight. If you do decide to get it, many flight simmers use the Seth_Flight profile available at the link below. You will have to page down a bit to find the profile.

https://forums.naturalpoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=7445&sid=4e85706bd7ecc8504e9f348b6b521692

Seth was, and maybe still is, a Natural Point employee.

Al

• Like 2

If you feel your moving you head to much, move your curves and learn how to set it up.

As for looking for pause buttons, don’t make it a key, use a button on your stick you can press without even thinking about it. Mine is set to a button on my throttle we’re my thumb rest. Looking for keys!!!!

You could make it look 180 degrees with moving you head an inch if you needed to. So don’t use default settings unless they work for you.

Make a new profile and learn how to make it perfect for you. It’s all about setting up your curves for the axis’s to make it feel and work for you. You don’t want to move your head much fine, set it up that way. Move your head to we’re you want to be looking 180 or what ever amount you need it will show you that on the graph move you curves to that point it’s that easy.

Edited by Nyxx

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

I've tried messing with the settings and just couldn't get it dialed in to the way I like em. If i set them to where I don't have to move my head as much then I find it to become way too sensitive, but if I make em less sensitive then it feels awkward and unnatural. I just couldn't find a sweet spot so I gave up.

I use a 55" 4K TV for my display and have it mounted at the top, and I sit maybe about 3-3.5 ft away. Perhaps its my setup. I don't know really.

Edited by captain420

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

I use it and generally like it. To the guys who use it, my issue is selecting a button with the mouse which is hard to steady. I sort of feel like I am chasing the button due to the head movement. Any fix for this? Also, it snaps to the center when I move my head. Maybe I should RTFM?

lol

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

I've been using TIR for at least 15 years and still love it.  One thing to know about TIR is that if you will be wearing eyeglasses while using it, using the reflective clip that comes with the TIR can be problematic since at certain angles your eyeglasses will reflect IR back to the IR sensor.  When this happens, it usually causes your view to wildly and suddenly shift, which is most irritating to say the least.  The TrackClip Pro solves this problem, but it's a additional expense and another cable to deal with.  There are 3rd party versions of this clip that are wireless but they're rather expensive.

BTW, VR is (nearly) King.  Looking to go that route someday...if only its resolution was better and that #!#@! sweet spot wasn't something to be bothered with.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

3 hours ago, captain420 said:

Setup your horizontal sensitivity curve so that when your nose is pointing at the left and right border of your monitor,  the head in the TIR software has rotated 180 degrees.   You should be able to look 180 behind you in either direction without your nose passing the border of your screen.

Adjust the vertical sensitivity curve in the same manner,  more or less.    A bit over 90 degrees up/down at least.   You should be able to look at your lap and over your head effortlessly.

Then map a convenient joystick button to "center" in the trackIR software.   Mapping another button to "pause" is recommended.

Edited by Waldo Pepper
  • Like 3