Sign in to follow this  
lgcharlot

Yacht on Runway at KSFO!

This post is a head-scratcher that should leave you all with a laugh. I had just fired up MSFS, with the 747-8i on Runway 28R at KSFO. I was configuring the autopilot and getting ready to take off, when I saw a motoryacht cross the runway, left to right, just ahead of me. It then stopped on a taxiway. I went into Slew mode and moved my plane near to the boat to grab a screen shot. I've never seen an autogen boat cross an airport runway before, either on FSX or MSFS. Here's the screenshot:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1T7oC1ALZQLSHUGk0th-Kp-HhOuW_nuQx/view?usp=sharing

The yacht is not crossing the runway.

That's a dude on a bicycle leaving a yacht dealership with the yacht he just shoplifted on his back.

It is San Francisco, after all...

Edited by MDFlier
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

Yacht is on taxiway, airplane is on a dirt strip. But runway is clear! 🙂

• Like 1

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

Power gives way to sail.

Maritime College. Boating rules:

When power meets power

• You must give way to another vessel on your starboard. (right)
  • If you meet head on, both vessels must turn to starboard. (right)

When power meets sail

• Power gives way to sail unless the sailing vessel is overtaking.
  • Sailing vessels should avoid sailing in a narrow channel. They have to give way to power-driven vessels restricted in their ability to manoeuvre in the channel.

When sail meets sail

• The vessel which has the wind on its starboard (right) side has the right of way. The vessel which has the wind on its port (left) side must give way.
  • When both boats have the wind on the same side the windward (upwind) boat has to give way.
Edited by GaryK
clarity
  • Like 4

i7-4790k @ 4.4ghz for the moment. Asus z87-k mobo. GTX 1080, 32gb ram. couple of SSDs....Saitek X52

Nothing about which one gives way between a sailboat and a 747.

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

"Power gives way to sail" - therefore the sailing vessel has right of way and the 747 (which is powered) must give way. 

• Like 2

Just now, Myles said:

"Power gives way to sail" - therefore the sailing vessel has right of way and the 747 (which is powered) must give way. 

But there is an important exception:

52 minutes ago, GaryK said:

Sailing vessels should avoid sailing in a narrow channel. They have to give way to power-driven vessels restricted in their ability to manoeuvre in the channel.

I would say a 747 that would have to veer off the runway to avoid a collision, is comparable to a container ship in a narrow channel to which a sailboat must give way.  Many years ago I did a lot of sailing in San Francisco Bay; in more than one race I remember crossing the path of an oncoming container ship that was blowing its horn as a warning.  Its skipper clearly had no intention of turning his ship out of the narrow shipping channel to avoid hitting sailboats crossing the ship's path.  The boat I was on was always far enough away that we were in no danger, but it was often difficult to tell how much separation there was for other boats much closer to the oncoming ship.

At any rate, here we have power vs. power: a powered yacht vs. a 747.  I would guess that the law would give the much larger vessel, limited to the narrow "channel"/runway, the right of way over the much smaller and more maneuverable yacht.

• Like 1

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Looks like the SS Minnow. Ahoy Gilligan!

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

Heh, i've never seen that before.

I have seen a beached boat at Nagasaki airport though.

23 minutes ago, Mike777 said:

But there is an important exception:

I would say a 747 that would have to veer off the runway to avoid a collision, is comparable to a container ship in a narrow channel to which a sailboat must give way.  Many years ago I did a lot of sailing in San Francisco Bay; in more than one race I remember crossing the path of an oncoming container ship that was blowing its horn as a warning.  Its skipper clearly had no intention of turning his ship out of the narrow shipping channel to avoid hitting sailboats crossing the ship's path.  The boat I was on was always far enough away that we were in no danger, but it was often difficult to tell how much separation there was for other boats much closer to the oncoming ship.

At any rate, here we have power vs. power: a powered yacht vs. a 747.  I would guess that the law would give the much larger vessel, limited to the narrow "channel"/runway, the right of way over the much smaller and more maneuverable yacht.

I think that's the answer although sailors will (out of sheer bloody mindedness (I know from experience)) argue over rule interpretation ad nauseum......The skipper would probably claim he was overtaking.🤣

Edited by GaryK
clarity

i7-4790k @ 4.4ghz for the moment. Asus z87-k mobo. GTX 1080, 32gb ram. couple of SSDs....Saitek X52

2 hours ago, lgcharlot said:

This post is a head-scratcher that should leave you all with a laugh. I had just fired up MSFS, with the 747-8i on Runway 28R at KSFO. I was configuring the autopilot and getting ready to take off, when I saw a motoryacht cross the runway, left to right, just ahead of me. It then stopped on a taxiway. I went into Slew mode and moved my plane near to the boat to grab a screen shot. I've never seen an autogen boat cross an airport runway before, either on FSX or MSFS. Here's the screenshot:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1T7oC1ALZQLSHUGk0th-Kp-HhOuW_nuQx/view?usp=sharing

That is just @sauviat practicing his skills.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB