Sign in to follow this  
Krakin

Interview with Microsoft's Jorg Neumann by Twinfinite

https://twinfinite.net/2021/07/microsoft-flight-simulator-interview-jorg-neumann-discusses-xbox-future-plans/

Twinfinite's Giuseppe Nelva got a chance to interview Microsoft's Jorg Neumann and it's quite a read!

The underlined below, definitely stood out to me:

Giuseppe: Speaking of accessibility in general, one of the features that I find most relevant on that front is the ability to share the cockpit or flight deck with another player. It would also help those who want to learn and those who would like to teach them. How is the development of this feature going?

Jorg Neumann: If you look at the feedback snapshot, it’s right at the top, so it’s foremost in our mind. Obviously, Working Title is taking care of a lot of the Garmin work, which is great.

We know we need to do more work on the shared cockpit. Obviously, we’re an entertainment product, but there are a lot of requests from flight schools, flight trainers, big companies that make aircraft… They all want to use this as a training tool and so far we’ve always said that there’s work to be done in order to enable that and there are things in the way to make it something elegant beyond gaming.

We’re obviously looking at this and we’re going to make a decision in a few months on whether we go left or right. It’s not decided yet.

Enjoy!

Edited by Ray Proudfoot
Title amended as requested by OP
  • Like 11

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

Can a mod please add in the missing "with" in the title? 😅

Nice article @Abriael!

7800X3D@H170i // Msi RTX 4090 Trio // 32GB DDR5 6000mhz CL30 // 2TB + 1TB Nvme
Dell 27" 2127DGF - 1440p - Gsync - 165hz 
Thrustmaster TCA Sidestick Airbus // TCA Quadrant Airbus // TFRP T.Flight Rudder Pedals // Logitech Flight Multi Panel

I completely missed them announcing a Ju52, nice.

Also I didn't know this:

We know we need to do more work on the shared cockpit. Obviously, we’re an entertainment product, but there are a lot of requests from flight schools, flight trainers, big companies that make aircraft… They all want to use this as a training tool and so far we’ve always said that there’s work to be done in order to enable that and there are things in the way to make it something elegant beyond gaming.

We’re obviously looking at this and we’re going to make a decision in a few months on whether we go left or right. It’s not decided yet

I knew they had it on their bucket list, but this is new to me.

Laminar Research customer -- Asobo/MS customer -- not an X-Aviation customer - or am I? 😉

2 hours ago, Krakin said:

Can a mod please add in the missing "with" in the title? 😅

No more letters could be added so I removed “substantial” to fit in “with”.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

2 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

No more letters could be added so I removed “substantial” to fit in “with”.

Ohhh many thanks!

This was a great comment...

One of my plans for the future is to work with schools giving them some free copies so that kids can play and feel it. Hopefully, they will fall in love just like we did.

• Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

10 minutes ago, RobJC said:

This was a great comment...

One of my plans for the future is to work with schools giving them some free copies so that kids can play and feel it. Hopefully, they will fall in love just like we did.

And it also means they intend to take their development ahead, for a long time. I mean, aiming the children is a long term vision. Well... at least it seems to be Jörg's view, as long he's in charge, MSFS is safe.

• Like 2

7800X3D@H170i // Msi RTX 4090 Trio // 32GB DDR5 6000mhz CL30 // 2TB + 1TB Nvme
Dell 27" 2127DGF - 1440p - Gsync - 165hz 
Thrustmaster TCA Sidestick Airbus // TCA Quadrant Airbus // TFRP T.Flight Rudder Pedals // Logitech Flight Multi Panel

Jorg has the best and worst job on the planet.  Poor sucker.

Also that it is easier to see project development from the outside rather than the inside.  Fun either way.

Regards

bs

Edited by bean_sprout
  • Upvote 1

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

The talk about live traffic is interesting. Even brings up the Kaii3 and AIG.

A few on the official MSFS forums were accusing Jorg of being "fake" and always positive. It's like they want a dour faced angry nerd to channel their own personality and anything less is unacceptable. 

• Like 1

FSX | DCS | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | IL2:BoX

Favorite aircraft currently: MSFS Savage Cub

Giuseppe: In a month we’re celebrating the first anniversary of the game. Do you have anything special planned?

Jorg Neumann: We’re talking about what we want to do. We have another product at Microsoft, Sea of Thieves. They just had their anniversary and it was delightful, with people celebrating the pirate life. I think that’s great.

I immediately wrote a mail to our community team about doing something, and we’re thinking about how do we best party with the community. That’s the goal. Maybe we’ll celebrate the past a little bit, how we got here, and perhaps a little bit of where we’re going. It’s coming up. It’s on the 18th of August. Planning has started, but I can’t tell you more because it’s not done yet.

Possibly a bit of scenery or aircraft that looks like something out of FS 5.1.. Ha, I would find that delightful. 

I have to be careful about what I say now, but sometimes I like to follow in the footsteps of what has been done before on the franchise side, and I also like to celebrate aviation and its history. It’s sort of a combination of both things. But yes. The answer to your question is yes. We’ll do something.

A past aircraft? Wright flyer, Jenny or Spirit of St Louis would be cool again.

Edited by reignman40
  • Like 2

ASUS Prime Z490-A / i7-10700K / RTX 4080 / G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB / Lian-Li PC-O11 Dynamic case