Sign in to follow this  
Elvensmith

RFP 747-200 In FSX SE

Has anyone got recent experience of using this aircraft in FSX-SE?

I downloaded the current up to date version from Simviation, followed all the install instructions. I can set up a flight from the planner screen and the aircraft displays in the window, however once I hit fly now get a brief black screen then CTD. Other aircraft work fine so this appears to be a RFP specific issue.

Any suggestions welcome, thank you.

I find when this happens, there might be a sound file that needed to be put into your Main FSX folder.  That file would be used for key-click sounds in the cockpit.  If the file is not in there, then there is a fairly instant CTD when hitting "Fly Now".

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

@Elvensmith

If you downloaded the RFP "City of Everett" mod also make sure that you not rename the main folder! The main folder must have the "FSX_RFP_N7470_MOD_FINAL" nameing, otherwise it will give problems (CTDs) with some entries in the panel.cfg and custom sound.cfg of the respective panel folder!

I just installed the base package which is the Continental Livery one.

Folder structure:
RFP_V2
RFP_Panels
Boeing 747-200 Continental
VMAX-SND

placed in../simobjects/airplanes per the instructions.

So I am still at a bit of a loss.

@Charlie, I will investigate that.

Edited by Elvensmith

Browsing through the CTD section, which with hindsight is where I should probably have put this, looks like one other thing to try is reducing the graphics quality slightly. I mean yes an I7, GTX1650 and 24Gb of RAM should eat FSX for breakfast but as we know, Dovetail did very little to tweak the 32 bit limitations when it comes to utilising memory etc. So given the RFP 747 is undoubtedly a demanding aircraft, maybe the sim can’t allocate enough memory to load it and the environment.

The problem comes from the .cab file 747RFPMOD. 

If you delete it, you will lose the needles etc in the panel but it will load quickly and not CTD. So if you want to keep it you will need to modify the file to delete the extra stuff you do not want. 

The plane will load quickly and fly fine without this .cab file if you don't mind a partially blank cockpit. 

On 12/30/2022 at 10:28 AM, ggoody said:

I actually stumbled on a better solution. Just // the two references to  the GPWS gauge in the Panel.747 cfg, leave the 747RFPMOD in the panel folder and voila full cockpit and no CTD.

If you delete it, you will lose the needles etc in the panel but it will load quickly and not CTD. So if you want to keep it you will need to modify the file to delete the extra stuff you do not want. 

The plane will load quickly and fly fine without this .cab file if you don't mind a partially blank cockpit. 

Correction: I actually stumbled on a better solution. Just // the two references to  the GPWS gauge in the Panel.747 cfg, leave the 747RFPMOD in the panel folder and voila full cockpit and no CTD.