Sign in to follow this  
DCAPilot

Trying to get Demo working

I am running 2.9.30 demo and want to use it with P3Dv5.  I installed it as Administrator, let it put it in the default location, started it and done the intitial setup.  P3D runs as admin as does MCE.  I start P3D, the start MCE with the desktop icon.  MCE sits there and tries to connect but never does.  I have no entry in the P3D add-ons menu for MCE nor is it listed in the add-ons list in the Options menu of P3D.  I've added exclusions for the MCE and P3D exe to my antivirus, I've made sure the 64 bit fsinsider dll is installed and copied the files from MCE dlls x64 in the zip file to the P3D directory. 

Any ideas on why MCE refuses to connect?  Thanks.

9 hours ago, DCAPilot said:

I am running 2.9.30 demo and want to use it with P3Dv5.  I installed it as Administrator, let it put it in the default location, started it and done the intitial setup.  P3D runs as admin as does MCE.  I start P3D, the start MCE with the desktop icon.  MCE sits there and tries to connect but never does.  I have no entry in the P3D add-ons menu for MCE nor is it listed in the add-ons list in the Options menu of P3D.  I've added exclusions for the MCE and P3D exe to my antivirus, I've made sure the 64 bit fsinsider dll is installed and copied the files from MCE dlls x64 in the zip file to the P3D directory. 

Any ideas on why MCE refuses to connect?  Thanks.

Normally, all this should happen automatically.

If you copied files manually, I suggest you redo it.

Delete copied files first.

Go back to downloaded unzipped files and copy "fsInsider64.dll and fsInsider.ini

Paste them to main P3D installation folder \Prepar3D v4\ and/or \Prepar3D v5\ folder.

Now you need to copy the other dlls.

To make sure you grab the correct 64 bit files, copy <MCE dlls x64> folder to main P3D instlaation folder.

IMPORTANT: once you have copied the folder, rename it to <MCE dlls>

MCE doesn't alter any of your P3D installation folder files, not even "panel.cfg" or "aircraft.cfg". Once you remove the above, you're back to your original P3D, pre-MCE installation

You just need to have these in this layout

\Prepar3D v4ORv5\fsInsider64.dll

\Prepar3D v4ORv5\fsInsider.ini

\Prepar3D v4ORv5\MCE dlls\  (about 40 dlls here, one for each supported complex plane)

The last thing that needs to happen is P3D being told to load fsInsider64.dll on startup. Your "dll.xml" may be missing the required entries.

<Launch.Addon>
        <Name>Multi Crew Experience</Name>
        <Disabled>False</Disabled>
        <ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>
        <Path>fsInsider64.dll</Path>
</Launch.Addon>

I did a normal install and only copied files later when it did not work and that was based on some hints from posts in this forum.  The dl file did not get added to P3D dll.xml file. I added it manually and it works now.  Thanks.

Okay.  Now it thinks it's the first start again so I'll redo the setup but a least it's there now.

Edited by DCAPilot

4 hours ago, DCAPilot said:

Okay.  Now it thinks it's the first start again so I'll redo the setup but a least it's there now.

I am guessing, perhaps you did override folders permissions to C:\Users\ folder causing all sorts of silent failures, like wizard not being alllowed to automatically  edit "dll.xml" (as it should)..

Possibly also the reason why the wizard thinks it's running first time.

Normally, once you run it once, it edits an entry in "mce.ini" so that it doesn't need to run unless you restore MCE to factory settings (in which case it does). Maybe that one is failing too. Which means you could be going in circles.

If wizard keeps popping, here is how you can get out of it.

Go to C:\Users\your_user_name\AppData\Roaming\Multi Crew Experience\ and open "mxce.ini" using Notepad.

Under [OPTIONS] section, ensure "TrainingCompleted=1"

After that, you can forget about the wizard.

Edited by FS++

I didn't touch the perms so who knows. I manually added the entry and it's running now - or was until I ran out of tries.

Thanks for the info on the initialization.