Sign in to follow this  
787flyer

big.LITTLE impact on P3D performance - Intel 12th gen CPU?

8 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

I'm going to have read up more on Intel's bit.Little, I'm just not seeing the advantage for desktop computing.  It seems to be about power efficiency yet the 12900 is a 228 Watt unit vs. AMD 141 Watt unit?  What am I missing?  All I'm getting out of it is less intense tasks go on the little cores while more intense tasks go on the bigger cores ... so why/how is that going to improve performance overall?

However, it seems Windows 11 will adjust the schedule to benefit Intel's big.Little according to this article.  I just don't understand how the lower performing cores is somehow a benefit in performance?

Cheers, Rob.

Rob, there are performance hybrids and efficiency hybrids possible. Alder Lake is a performance hybrid.

Karl

Edited by kaha

i9-9900K@5,0   |  32GB 3200  |  2080TI  |  4K 55"  |  MSFS | P3D V5

1 hour ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

...So perhaps my question is really, what has changed in Intel's "big" (performance hybrid) side of the physical CPU?

Cheers, Rob.

Right! Probably nothing (well, they got faster). I'd be ok with those 8 big cores only.

Karl

There are tests suggesting the 12900K is 10% faster on W11 than on W10. But I doubt that P3D would perform as much better on W11.

Edited by kaha

So I'm still trying to find someone that has actually done this ... anyone got a 12th or 13th Gen CPU with an RTX 3080 or better that has tried P3Dv4 and then compared it to v5 ?

I know P3D uses 1 thread to control everything, but will a point come where that CPU core is fast enough to overcome the old-fashioned gaming engine of P3D ?

On another thread suggestions are to wait for v6 ... but I really want to plan a strategy now.

Edited by Gabe777

On 11/30/2022 at 11:56 AM, Gabe777 said:

So I'm still trying to find someone that has actually done this ... anyone got a 12th or 13th Gen CPU with an RTX 3080 or better that has tried P3Dv4 and then compared it to v5 ?

I know P3D uses 1 thread to control everything, but will a point come where that CPU core is fast enough to overcome the old-fashioned gaming engine of P3D ?

On another thread suggestions are to wait for v6 ... but I really want to plan a strategy now.

HI Gabe, please consider that since V4.5 P3D utililized all cores of a multicore processor in general. This was even improved until the actual Version 5.3 HF2. The biggest step in performance gain, was the implementation of DX12 the balance more of the render work onto the GPU. 

It´s also not true anymore, as some state here, that the engine of P3D is more than 20 years old. Meanwhile the code is rewritten in major portions of the legacy engine. But is just make sense only to do this for parts that would particiapate in new technologies. The Multicore affinity is one of those sensfull parts.

But beside this, just think logic. If a CPU has significant more performance as a current one, of course this will provide more performance to P3D as is does for everything else, too. Simple as that. If i would replace my 9th generation I9 with an 13th generation I9 i would be totally relaxed in awaiting a performance gain because it surely will have.

Schould you wait maybe for V6. Well, no, because it doesn´t matter. Anyway You should have the fastest CPU as possible. Schould you wait for the 13th generation, YES because of the awaited PCI 5 capability. That would make a difference if you use a PCI 5 MB and a PCIe 5 SSD with transferrates of more than 12 GB/s.  

A new RIG schould be: I9 13th gen with 24/26 Cores, Motherboard with new successor Chip for PCI 5, NVidia RTX 4090 16 GB, SSD 4 TB, PCIe 5, 32 GB RAM 

Edited by BerndB
  • Upvote 3

Bernd

P3D V6 -  PC spec: Intel i9-9900 overclocked 5 GHz HT off, 32 GB RAM, GPU Nvidia RTX3090 24GB, 2xM2 SSD, Skalarki HomeCockpit and Jeehell FMGS on a dedicated Server, PF3 for ATC, MCE, GSX, EFB, AS+ASCA+ENV and OrbXpf3-supporter.gif

Hi.

Just installed v5 and massively better.

Appears to be utilising 6 cores with my core showing up to 75 percent usage compared to 50 percent in v4... with a 4/8 i7 7700k.

Even at 4K 4xMSAA and Hgh settings I'm over 100 fps and limiting to 30 has my 3080 Ti running at 40 percent.

Tried to create blurry textures using a Hawk at 400 mph 1000 AGL... up and down through cloud layers ... and just couldn't.

Even flipping between tower view and cockpit, it only takes a few seconds for the ground textures to become sharp and the autogen to repopulate. Amazing.

V5 seems to be solid. My intended CPU upgrade in the New Year could possibly see me running some stuff at 60 fps... which a few years ago was a pipedream.

I'm a happy bunny !

Edited by Gabe777
  • Like 1

👍😉 i´am glad you are happy as i´am with V5

Bernd

P3D V6 -  PC spec: Intel i9-9900 overclocked 5 GHz HT off, 32 GB RAM, GPU Nvidia RTX3090 24GB, 2xM2 SSD, Skalarki HomeCockpit and Jeehell FMGS on a dedicated Server, PF3 for ATC, MCE, GSX, EFB, AS+ASCA+ENV and OrbXpf3-supporter.gif

1 hour ago, Gabe777 said:

the time has come to enjoy the Machloop

Bernd

4 hours ago, BerndB said:

the time has come to enjoy the Machloop

Well interesting you say that and not because I'm 20 miles from Valley !

Everything is really smooth and sharp currently, but I haven't installed Orbx Vectors yet, let alone the full fat EU regions!

Worried it may turn everything to porridge again.

Wondering whether I should, or wait for my CPU upgrade.
...Guess I could just suck it and see.

And the new EA is very impressive creating a haze everywhere, but I'm confused about how it interacts with Active Sky and ASCA.

Just flew the PMDG around Brisbane Intl airport... it's a real killer with so much autogen, and although I still can't max everything out, all sliders are about one notch shy, of fully right.

But I have a sneaky feeling that loading Orbx stuff in there, AND a traffic app, AND Active Sky live weather, may well wipe the smug grin off my face !

Given many of those things are deffo CPU dependent, may be good to wait.

Edited by Gabe777
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Gabe777 said:

Everything is really smooth and sharp currently, but I haven't installed Orbx Vectors yet, let alone the full fat EU regions!

Worried it may turn everything to porridge again.

Wondering whether I should, or wait for my CPU upgrade.
...Guess I could just suck it and see.

And the new EA is very impressive creating a haze everywhere, but I'm confused about how it interacts with Active Sky and ASCA.

Just flew the PMDG around Brisbane Intl airport... it's a real killer with so much autogen, and although I still can't max everything out, all sliders are about one notch shy, of fully right.

But I have a sneaky feeling that loading Orbx stuff in there, AND a traffic app, AND Active Sky live weather, may well wipe the smug grin off my face !

I have a i5-12600K + RTX 3070 combo and its running quite nicely with Orbx LC and regions both installed alongside EA enabled (No Rex SF) and Active Sky ASP3D for the weather engine and 50% traffic enabled in AIGAIM OCI. I am not running Orbx Vector though since I mainly fly IFR.

If I run FP unlimited, I am getting 60+ but have this limited to 35 FPS.

Which version of Orbx Brisbane do you have? V1 was really quite stuttery. V2 is better.

Edited by 787flyer
  • Upvote 1

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

23 hours ago, Gabe777 said:

The consensus from what I’ve read is don’t bother with Vector. It was helpful for v4 but the terrain improvements in v5 have made it more of a liability. The full EU regions should be fine.

• Upvote 2

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather