Sign in to follow this  
Gdavis0101

SkySim MD-11 ... so how is it?

Guest panda234

Wow, this is the 2nd post asking how the new MD-11 is and there hasn't been one answer. In the other post there's some discussion about the installer but nobody answered the question. In the "old" days of FS9 a new aircraft like this would have generated at least a 3 or 4 page post by now. People loving it or slamming it or both. Am I overdoing it or have things changed?Bill

>Wow, this is the 2nd post asking how the new MD-11 is and>there hasn't been one answer. In the other post there's some>discussion about the installer but nobody answered the>question. In the "old" days of FS9 a new aircraft like this>would have generated at least a 3 or 4 page post by now.>People loving it or slamming it or both. Am I overdoing it or>have things changed?>>Bill>I think the reason is this is a new developer, so they haven't got a reputation, good or bad, so everyone isn't running to get it yet. Add that to the fact, they picked an aircraft which is being developed by PMDG now, which everyone is waiting for, is another strike against them! (Through no fault of their own) I don't think it has anything to do with FSX, as it is also for FS9 as well!!

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Guest bjablonka

I just got it today. No problems with the d/l or install. I have not spent too much time with it as I just got Vista as well as the new Gforce 8800. The panels look great, the flight model I am not sure of yet. I installed Vista without any problems, tomorrow I will put in the new video card. Can't wait.

Guest panda234

Just checked the FS9 forum and there is a post there about the MD-11 that is 3 almost 4 pages. All kinds of discussion about it.

Guest simensa

>I just got it today. No problems with the d/l or install. I>have not spent too much time with it as I just got Vista as>well as the new Gforce 8800. The panels look great, the flight>model I am not sure of yet. I installed Vista without any>problems, tomorrow I will put in the new video card. Can't>wait.Did you install the FS9 or FSX version?

Guest bjablonka

FSX - the panels are very good and detailed, outside looks great too. I am not sure about the flight dynamics, have some issues with the AP as well as thrust settings. However, I only spent about 1/2 hour with the manual. Frame rates are ok, I just installed Vista and the Gfore 8800. Pretty much all sliders to the right and frames are smooth.

Guest United

My two cents: I'm an easy to please user and can live with irritations and small problems in any payware. SkySim's MD-11 has both major and minor irritants. Like all payware aircraft to my knowledge so far, it does not interact with native FSX jetways at large airports :( There is no FMC, it's just a cosmetic redux of native FSX GPS that is made to look like a FMC. :( :( The original aircraft.cfg somehow was faulty in it's ability to capture the glide scope, but an enterprising poster on this or the other SkySim thread firgured out how to fix several of the parameters so now it works! :) I have a rogue control knob in my MD11 VC that wanders across the autopilot like a Harry Potter Quiddich snitch, oh well! B) The external looks of the craft are really good, but not superb. The wings look a bit undercooked and the tires of the gear a bit blocky. Cosmetics are not optimal overall, but it's not awful. :) Frame rates are very good. The VC loads a bit slowly only once at the start then snaps right to from then on. The aircraft cabin is very nicely done. :) The external cargo model animations along with the nice control panel for them (including for the various aircraft doors) are superb! :) :) The gauges are very good in function and appearance. I peeked at the "other" developers MD11 in progress and indeed, MD11's gauges are strange looking unto themselves, so SkySim's seem authentic :) The operations manual is OK. Starting up this bird is far fromintuitive and there is but poor explanation for how to do it in the manual. Having said that, I figured it out on my own. :) What about flight dynamics? I don't know. I'm not a MD-11 pilot and I have no idea whether the dynamics of any computer simulated FSX or for that matter FS9 aircraft has correct dynamics. Does it have big lumbery old model heavy aircraft feel to it? Yes it does in fact, so I'm happy. :) The website for SkySim seems a bit odd in design, but that's no crime. Not having a forum for discussion and bug reporting is a crime and the developers seem to be hiding from their user base, at least as of yesterday. I don't blame them. The tenor of postings on the AVSIM FSX forum about new FSX payware is very critical, inflammatory or irritatble as of late. I'd hide too! B) Was the package worth 25 Euros? Probably, but only if the website eventually provides some support and fixes for or at least answers to the bugs that I and others will inevitably find. OH yes, almost forgot. I have a high end PC set up with a duo Cor Intel. Frame rates and performance are not issues with this SkySim product. Randy Jura, KPDX

Guest abulaafia

very instructive, thank you!!

Guest abulaafia

Positive? I don't consider something with a "cosmetic redux of native FSX [ludicrously unrealistic] GPS" positive. Definitely a no-buy.

Guest PowderBlue

Abulaafia You don't read the forums very well. It was stated several times that if you want a plane thats easy to use, doesn't take forever to enter all kinds of info, but still has the bells and whistles (Effects Wise) of todays standard then you would be very pleased with this A/C Why do you have to bash something you haven't researched very well?

>Positive? >I don't consider something with a "cosmetic redux of native>FSX [ludicrously unrealistic] GPS" positive. Definitely a>no-buy. Really it seems to be in-line with the price (25 Eur/$32). To expect all that's in there plus a fully functional Nav displays (GDI+ ?) which you will also need a functional FMS (and Nav database) at that price I think is probably a little unreasonable.Compare the features and the 'price' before calling it a 'no-buy'.I don't have it, but based on its description and the screens. The price they are charging IMO is in-line with a product that is just using a dressed up version of the default GPS considering its other features and options.I'm certainly interested in it based on what I've seen and heard so far.Regards.Ernie.

ea_avsim_sig.jpg

Abulaafia,I am positive that I like it! Sorry that I disagree with "your" opinion, but it is a good airplane and worth the money I spent on it..