Hi all,

What imaging software do you use to create backups. I used to use Acronis way back but stopped using it for a while.

Thanks for any help

fly safe

Francisco Blas
Windows11 Pro ASUS Hero Z790 | Intel i9-13900K | G.SKILL 32GB DDR5 | ASUS STRIX 4090 | WD 4TB SN850X NVMe | ASUS Ryujin II AIO 360mm | Corsair AX1600i | Lian Li 011D EVO | DELL Alienware 38 G-SYNC

I cannot recommend Macrium Reflect enough, reliable as can be which an important + where painless recovery of one's system involved ... AFAIK only available for Windows ..... there has always been a free version, latest version (8) no exception ...  ..... suggest you check it out .....

Edited by AKStirling
  • Like 1

When I was using Acronis I was able to make different images of every stage of install like fresh OS install, then OS and P3d, and kept adding more making sure to test each stage and activating the license before making another image.

The issue I had was with one piece of software where even if an image was created even after activating the license, that software would not recognize it was activated and I had to email tech support and they saw it as a new PC, thus having to re-activate again. Tech support also insinuated I was installing their software on more than one PC.

Another issue that popped up was even after creating an image like a basic fresh OS. When ever I had issues with that particular software like errors inputting flight plan, and try to reinstall the image of the fresh OS, it would result in the same errors. I then would resort to reinstalling a fresh OS via old method and not use the image, then that software would work. It took months for me to figure this out as I thought imaging software was foolproof.

I’ll take a look at Macrium. Thank you

fly safe

Edited by mokeiko

Francisco Blas
Windows11 Pro ASUS Hero Z790 | Intel i9-13900K | G.SKILL 32GB DDR5 | ASUS STRIX 4090 | WD 4TB SN850X NVMe | ASUS Ryujin II AIO 360mm | Corsair AX1600i | Lian Li 011D EVO | DELL Alienware 38 G-SYNC

mokeiko, how do you like that Brunner yoke?

I used to use Acronis but I didn't like the fact you have to have create an Acronis boot disk in order to restore from an Acronis disk image.

I use the built-in Windows 7 Backup - System Image in Win 10. Works great, I don't need any other software to interpret the images, and it has saved me on a couple of occasions when I broke something and needed to get my system running again. To restore from a Windows system image one only needs a Win 10 install disk or bootable USB thumb drive.

I image my system m2 drive + 2 additional 1TB SSD's.

Using the Windows 10 Disk Management tool I am able to mount a disk image, assign a drive letter to it and it shows up in explorer as an active disk, for instances where I need to retrieve individual files or directories - as a matter of fact I used that feature only a few days ago to retrieve a previous version of the JustFlight Arrow III installer after experiencing MSFS CTD's using the newest version.

• Like 1

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

I like the yoke very much, especially when flying with GA aircraft.

The only time I’ve had to use Acronis boot disk is when you really messed up and couldn’t log into your PC, but you would have to really mess up and can’t boot into your OS. I could restore to any of my backup images with a few clicks as long as Acronis was installed in the OS, which it is on all of the images as well.

I did try to use Windows backup a long time ago but there were times the restore points weren’t saved, might’ve been an error on my part. I may have to revisit this again. Thanks.

The reason I bring up imaging software is because last night I installed some software and it installed three other bits of software even though I checked no or decline to the install. My PC started acting up, screen pixelated at times, flying was a stutter mess, etc. I didn’t have an image of anything since I haven’t made any so I am re-installing everything now, not really too bad but still an inconvenience.

fly safe

Edited by mokeiko

Francisco Blas

O&O DiskImage Pro

• Like 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

I never heard of this company before. I will check it out.

Thanks Bob

fly safe

Francisco Blas