Sign in to follow this  
Flyinggok

Strange Shadow line (was there ever a solution?)

Hey,

I knew that issue already but I did not see it a long time.

Today its back, and I am not sure if there was a solution for it.

I found something with Clipmode, but that doesnt work for me.

https://imgur.com/XVoBs9g

Cheers,
Bernd🌈✈️

Try turning off cloud shadows.

That disables all cloud shadows and is no solution 😄

Edited by Flyinggok

Cheers,
Bernd🌈✈️

Bernd,
Any chance you are using REX Skyforce? Stratus layers show this anomaly since the introduction of REX SF in P3Dv4. But it was never fixed. 

Best,
Christoph

Display resolution: 1920x1080 (8xSSAA)    GPU: 1080TI     CPU: i7-7700K (5.0 OC)    RAM: 16GB     SSD: Samsung 850Evo     Monitor: 27K

FSBetaTesters3.png

1 hour ago, Wolkenschreck said:

Bernd,
Any chance you are using REX Skyforce? Stratus layers show this anomaly since the introduction of REX SF in P3Dv4. But it was never fixed. 

Hey, for Cloud Sync yes, Weather Engine is Active Sky :)

Cheers,
Bernd🌈✈️

There is nothing you can do about it. It's a bug of the REX Skyforce 3D models. I reported it twice to REX (back when they still had their forum, and on Discord) but to no avail.

I saw that @disco79stu had a similar problem and he uploaded a video. If your problem looks similar to Stu's clip than you know it is related to REX Skyforce:
https://forums.flightsimlabs.com/index.php?/topic/30332-strange-ground-“shadows”-changing-with-view-angle/

But maybe Tim  @timest or Reed @rstough have an idea how to fix this?

Edited by Wolkenschreck

Best,
Christoph

Display resolution: 1920x1080 (8xSSAA)    GPU: 1080TI     CPU: i7-7700K (5.0 OC)    RAM: 16GB     SSD: Samsung 850Evo     Monitor: 27K

FSBetaTesters3.png

9 hours ago, Wolkenschreck said:

Stratus layers show this anomaly since the introduction of REX SF in P3Dv4. But it was never fixed. 

This is false. 

Do your own research about this here on AVSIM as well as the Prepar3D forum. This anomaly is not attributed to SF.

Tim Fuchs
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

support www.rexaxis.com

9 hours ago, timest said:

This is false. 

Do your own research about this here on AVSIM as well as the Prepar3D forum. This anomaly is not attributed to SF.

Tim @timest
Thanks for chiming in. I have done my own research and I can definitely attribute the cloud shadow problem to REX Skyforce. In the early days of Skyforce, I had already pointed the problem out at your forums with a vanilla P3D installation.

I have recreated my litte experiment with the default scenario and a 6/8 stratus layer at 2000ft.No external weather engine was used and shaders are default (EA on, volumetric clouds off).

Video 1- REX Skyforce Cloud Models:
1.511 items in Prepar3D v5\Weather\clouds
CloudArtFiles Header:
"XML file for locating cloud art files. Created by REX Studio: Sky Force 3d 2017"

Video 2 - Default P3D Cloud Models:
351 items in Prepar3D v5\Weather\clouds
CloudArtFiles Header:
"XML file for locating cloud art files. Created by Niniane Wang, 09/2002"

Disclaimer - for Video 2 (default cloud models) I only changed the cloud models. The textures should be still the REX SF textures (Array/Nuance), as I only had a backup of the Weather folder available.

Thus, this is definitely in some way related to the REX Skyforce 3D cloud models.

Video 1 - REX Skyforce Cloud Models:

Video 2 - Default P3D Cloud Models:

Edited by Wolkenschreck

Best,
Christoph

FSBetaTesters3.png

On 7/25/2021 at 10:15 AM, Flyinggok said:

Hey,

I knew that issue already but I did not see it a long time.

Today its back, and I am not sure if there was a solution for it.

I found something with Clipmode, but that doesnt work for me.

https://imgur.com/XVoBs9g

What has worked for me is to set "Shadow Draw Distance" to high or ultra.

Hi Tim @timest , Reed @rstough ,

I know you guys are working hard on Technical Update 2.6 and Weather Force, for which I am very thankful. Just wanted to check back with you if you could already look into this bug regarding REX SF's stratus clouds and the shadow anomaly?

Knowing that this is not you official support channel I am more than happy to open a ticket with you if you wish so. We can also hook up a Zoom/TeamViewer session to troubleshoot the problem if you wish so. More than happy to help to finally solve this longstanding issue. Please let me know if you need any further information. 

Thanks and best,

Christoph

Best,
Christoph

FSBetaTesters3.png