Sign in to follow this  
BEARlyThereCDN

Decisions, Decisions.

I'm having a great time with my MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe with a couple of payware airports installed. But I do find myself in a bit of a dilemma. I'm not sure if I'm ready to uninstall my FSX with all of my GB's of payware and freeware taking up space on my game drive. I haven't fired up FSX since the beginning of the pandemic but I do find myself flying my TBM 930 nearly every day in MSFS 2020. Even with that in mind I just can't seem to part with FSX yet. It almost feels like parting ways with a old friend. I'd like everyone's opinions on this topic - Has FSX seen it's days? Is MSFS 2020 the NOW and FUTURE of flight simming for the next couple of decades? Is it time to part company with a old friend?

2 minutes ago, BEARlyThereCDN said:

I'm having a great time with my MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe with a couple of payware airports installed. But I do find myself in a bit of a dilemma. I'm not sure if I'm ready to uninstall my FSX with all of my GB's of payware and freeware taking up space on my game drive. I haven't fired up FSX since the beginning of the pandemic but I do find myself flying my TBM 930 nearly every day in MSFS 2020. Even with that in mind I just can't seem to part with FSX yet. It almost feels like parting ways with a old friend. I'd like everyone's opinions on this topic - Has FSX seen it's days? Is MSFS 2020 the NOW and FUTURE of flight simming for the next couple of decades? Is it time to part company with a old friend?

Yeah is like going back to standard definition TV after owning a HD or 4K flat screen/. 

• Like 5

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

You said it yourself, you haven’t touched FSX since beginning of COVID.  Uninstall it but say goodbye to an old friend and thank her for the many hours of enjoyment but unfortunately everything has to come to and end.

• Like 2

Thomas Derbyshire

Treat her like a girlfriend your about to break up with… Have one last play with her then back your bags mate and don’t look back 😊

• Like 1

I had well over $1,000.00 of X-plane addons and lots of freeware as well. Lots of customized instrument panels in AirManager. And a few Arduino custom built autopilot and other controls for X-plane.

Well about 2 months ago I launched XP for the first time in a few months, and after about 5 minutes decided it was history.

I have 3 SSD's one M.2. And I had over 2 TB of X-plane extras.

Now I have tons of space and FS2020 seems faster than ever, especially loading. Maybe due to recent updates.

I may go back and try X-plane again if they really update it, but I doubt it.

I now have all my custom built Arduino and LeoBodnar stuff running perfectly in FS2020. So for me it was a no brainer to dump old out dated sim stuff.

This keeps things simpler. And it is easier to only have to deal with one set of idiosyncrasies. 

Over the years I have used just about every sim available starting in the 80's, actually in the 70's with a TI99-4A, I think it was.

I tend to always just stay with the best available at the time. So for me this was an easy decision. 

Here is a video of a friend of mine who is a pilot flying around his home airport in Florida a few days ago, he is planning on setting up his own system now.

• Like 6

Pit.jpg

Com GA Pilot, Retired • MSFS 2020 • Gigabyte 8th gen lga1151 motherboard z2370 hd3, i5 8600 8th gen 4.3ghz, Thermaltake 750w power supply, 4 x 8gb ddr4 dimm, MSI force GTO 1070 8gb ddr5, 4 SSD's • 4K main display with 3 HD displays, one is a touch screen. Often used as 3 1080P NVIDEA surround screens and one HD touchscreen for AirManager

If you have the disk space.. what is the harm in keeping her around?

• Like 12
  • Upvote 2

Bert

4 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

If you have the disk space.. what is the harm in keeping her around?

It is just simpler and cleaner feeling to just support one system. Less tweaking and idiosyncrasies to keep up with.

But this is just me. I kept X-plane for over 6 months and did not use it at all except to compare with FS2020 a few times. Plane to Plane compares etc. And with me FS2020 just was better and more fun.

When I bought my C177 I sold my old C150, same deal. Who wants to fly a C150 when you have a C177. 

• Like 4

Pit.jpg

Com GA Pilot, Retired • MSFS 2020 • Gigabyte 8th gen lga1151 motherboard z2370 hd3, i5 8600 8th gen 4.3ghz, Thermaltake 750w power supply, 4 x 8gb ddr4 dimm, MSI force GTO 1070 8gb ddr5, 4 SSD's • 4K main display with 3 HD displays, one is a touch screen. Often used as 3 1080P NVIDEA surround screens and one HD touchscreen for AirManager

1 hour ago, BEARlyThereCDN said:

Has FSX seen it's days? 

FSX's days were over about 6 years ago. P3D's days are as good as over.  Unless you're heavily into passenger jets then X-Plane has nothing to offer over MSFS either. 

All the old sims have been removed along with £1000's worth of addons on my rig.  The future is here. No looking back.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Fsx!! There is no competition, I mean there is no harm in keeping it installed but in my experience the longer the sim sits without being used the more maintenance it takes to get it going when you get an itch to go back to it. Back in august when msfs was released I gave it a go even with all the issues, I decided to put it on the back burner till it matured a bit, at the same time it ruined p3d for me and immediately got rid of p3d with lots of money invested..I stayed away from simming for about 7 months knowing what msfs has to offer when it got some issues sorted..and had no itch to go back to p3d at all. 

For me it was time to accept and move on, I even lost interest in watching p3d videos, or keeping up with the forums. It’s my opinion that there is a lot in store for the msfs future. Having said that, I am appreciative of the effort and offering p3d has provided us, and have no regrets spending the money I did on it. 

Edited by flyinpilot212121
  • Like 2

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

23 minutes ago, 177B said:

It is just simpler and cleaner feeling to just support one system. Less tweaking and idiosyncrasies to keep up with.

Guess it depends on whether you with your system and installation can reliably complete flights in MSFS.  Yesterday I had a CTD enroute from Milwaukee to Flying Cloud, MN (DA62 with mods and WT1000). MSFS just closed without warning. That after about 90 minutes of flying. 90 minutes of mostly wasted time. Most of my flights are flown with purpose.  I later flew the flight in FSX SE without issue.  90 minutes of mostly wasted time.

Today, just an hour ago, I had MSFS freeze up an hour into a flight from Troutdale, OR to Newport, OR (default 172 Classic w/pms530 mod).  It was not a CTD (MSFS did not close), it just froze. I waited it out 30 minutes but no joy.

I performed a complete reset of MSFS 10 days ago.

If I cannot complete a simple MSFS flight then FSX SE and all my addons stay installed as due to the MSFS issues I am still flying over 70% of my hours there.

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

17 minutes ago, The Moose said:

Unless you're heavily into passenger jets

Or helicopters.

Or accurate airports (taxiways, markings, lighting,...)

Or particles.

Or a replay system.

Or the ability to set up visibility accurately.

Or manipulating cockpit controls with VR controllers.

Or multiple screens.

Or lighter-than-air vehicles.

Or landing on aircraft carriers.

Or VTOL aircraft.

Or...the Starship! https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/71894-spacex-starship-sn15/

Or... 😉

Come to think of it - there is NOTHING but better visuals that MSFS has on X-Plane, really.

Edited by Janov
  • Like 7

5 minutes ago, fppilot said:

Guess it depends on whether you with your system and installation can reliably complete flights in MSFS.  Yesterday I had a CTD enroute from Milwaukee to Flying Cloud, MN (DA62 with mods and WT1000). MSFS just closed without warning. That after about 90 minutes of flying. 90 minutes of mostly wasted time. Most of my flights are flown with purpose.  I later flew the flight in FSX SE without issue.  90 minutes of mostly wasted time.

Today, just an hour ago, I had MSFS freeze up an hour into a flight from Troutdale, OR to Newport, OR (default 172 Classic w/pms530 mod).  It was not a CTD (MSFS did not close), it just froze. I waited it out 30 minutes but no joy.

If I cannot complete a simple MSFS flight then FSX SE and all my addons stay installed as due to the MSFS issues I am still flying over 70% of my hours there.

I’d almost say somethings wrong with your system setup or one individual add-on that is causing the issue, I run a mediocre 7700 with a 1060 card and 16GB ram and have yet to have a ctd. 

• Like 2

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

9 minutes ago, fppilot said:

its rock stable for me, no ctd's in months can fly for hours..i dont use much mods!!!

most ctd's are def at the user side.

but if you have the space, keep the old stuff.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, fppilot said:

As many of you know, when I first got MSFS back in February, it was a CTD horror show. Sometimes 2 CTDs and screen freezes a day. I got rid of my brand new AMD GPU and replaced it with a Nvidia, GPU. In the last month I have about 45 flights, and not one problem. MSFS to me, is the most reliable sim I have ever owned. 

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

29 minutes ago, Janov said:

Or helicopters.

Or accurate airports (taxiways, markings, lighting,...)

Or particles.

Or a replay system.

Or the ability to set up visibility accurately.

Or manipulating cockpit controls with VR controllers.

Or multiple screens.

Or lighter-than-air vehicles.

Or landing on aircraft carriers.

Or VTOL aircraft.

Or...the Starship! https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/71894-spacex-starship-sn15/

Or... 😉

Come to think of it - there is NOTHING but better visuals that MSFS has on X-Plane, really.

Now THAT is trolling Jan. (And it's incorrect) You naughty person you.😀 I'm going to sneak on you to the boss.. Wait! I've a better idea!

Edited by jarmstro
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2