Sign in to follow this  
MattNischan

Flying the DCA RNP 19 in the new Working Title G1000 NXi

11 minutes ago, captain420 said:

Which version of the manual do I choose?

Honestly, they're similar enough, especially with what we have implemented so far, that it probably doesn't matter much at all. 🙂   We've been using the Nav III trainer as our primary reference, though, so if you want to go for one in particular that would probably be as good as another.

9 minutes ago, Ricardo41 said:

How is the performance of the G 1000 NXi compared to the WT G 1000 mod?

It's not really possible to give a direct comparison, because the bulk of our heavy development was done with the upcoming release version and it won't work at all in the current retail build.  But the overall performance gains in the upcoming release itself are pretty great, and we've paid close attention to performance every step of the way.  I think people won't be disappointed.

60 fps even in built-up areas is totally reachable with sufficient hardware.

Edited by kaosfere
  • Like 7
  • Upvote 1

To give just one example of the lengths we've gone to for performance, one thing we have done is to almost completely divorce ourselves from the "update loop" model that most of the existing avionics systems use for large chunks of their UI.  We've built an entirely new event system, and a new from the ground up UI framework around it, that allows individual components to receive callbacks only when they need to update something, rather than having everything recompute every time through the main loop.  This has notable performance benefits.

(For folks who've tried the 0.4 perpetual-beta of our original freeware G1000, and seen the performance improvements from that, we use a similar system except even more so.)

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, kaosfere said:

60 fps even in built-up areas is totally reachable with sufficient hardware.

I know the main subject is not about my concern but I really trust your experience as a well known MSFS devoloper. What kind of GPU's can be named as sufficient for 4K with the latest build do you think ? As my mind is to keep everything on Ultra and aiming 35 40 FPS @4K (100) stable in every scenario ? CPU is another story I focus mainly on GPU side. 

Kind regards

Edited by Tayyareci

Faruk IŞIK

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

3 hours ago, MattNischan said:

Not at the moment, no. Definitely something we're thinking about doing again, though, like we did for the CJ4.

-Matt

Garmin already publishes a great Pilots Guide for the G1000... do we need more?

• Like 2

Bert

Great stuff! Thank you for putting in the effort to get all the small details in as well!

After this initial release, will you be concentrating on getting more features in to the NXi, or porting the core features, like the flightplan system and fps improvements over to the other packages, f.e. the G3000?

Kind Regards, 
André

Edited by Andre92
  • Like 2

Sounds wonderful, I love GA stuff as that’s all I fly. 
So are there additional pages on this new g1000 nxi like a full engine page , checklist page , options for different maps, traffic alert options, etc?

1 hour ago, Bert Pieke said:

Garmin already publishes a great Pilots Guide for the G1000... do we need more?

Just from the standpoint of inclusiveness, I think it'd be highly desirable to have a concise guide to the NXi for folks who aren't "hardcore" simmers.   Especially given that we're going to be seeing (hopefully) an influx of new simmers with the XBox release, there are going to be a lot of obscure things they may have no idea how to do at first, and sending them to a 500 page manual for the real thing is probably unlikely to be helpful.  🙂

That said, other things definitely have priority at the moment.

1 hour ago, Tayyareci said:

What kind of GPU's can be named as sufficient for 4K with the latest build do you think ?

I'm not totally comfortable giving performance stats, since they can vary so highly from system configuration to system configuration and sometimes people take the numbers they see as being authoritative.   But I can tell you that my system, which is an i7-9700k with an RTX 3090, can hold 60fps in most non-heavily-urbanized areas in 4k at the ultra preset with our NXi running.  At KSEA, which is a long-standing torture test for flight sim performance, it struggles to hold 60 near the urban core, but still hangs out above 50.

Stepping down a little from 4k to my 3840x1600 ultrawide (basically 4k with the bottom couple inches chopped off) I'm near if not at 60.   Again, CPU limited.

Edited by kaosfere
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, kaosfere said:

Just from the standpoint of inclusiveness, I think it'd be highly desirable to have a concise guide to the NXi for folks who aren't "hardcore" simmers.   Especially given that we're going to be seeing (hopefully) in influx of new simmers with the XBox release, there are going to be a lot of obscure things they may have no idea how to do at first, and sending them to a 500 page manual for the real thing is probably unlikely to be helpful.  🙂

That said, other things definitely have priority at the moment.

I'm not totally comfortable giving performance stats, since they can vary so highly from system configuration to system configuration and sometimes people take the numbers they see as being authoritative.   But I can tell you that I can my system, which is an i7-9770k with an RTX 3090, can hold 60fps in most non-heavily-urbanized areas in 4k at the ultra preset..   At KSEA, which is a long-standing torture test for flight sim performance, it struggles to hold 60 near the urban core, but still hangs out above 50.

Stepping down a little from 4k to my 3840x1600 ultrawide (basically 4k with the bottom couple inches chopped off) I'm near if not at 60.   Again, CPU limited.

That's pre SU5 though?   NVM, saw in your Discord.  🙂 

Edited by Jeff Nielsen

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

18 minutes ago, Andre92 said:

After this initial release, will you be concentrating on getting more features in to the NXi, or porting the core features, like the flightplan system and fps improvements over to the other packages, f.e. the G3000?

I can't really discuss the longer term roadmap, but in the very near term our focus is going to be on continuing to work with the NXi, to get it to the point where there's enough comfort in it to make it the default in the core sim.   There's more we want to do with it, and though we and our team of QA testers have beat on it pretty heavily I'm sure once it's in the hands of the public our issue count is going to rise.  🙂

Those other things are definitely goals, though, and even now we've already made some changes to the core sim to support what we've done with the NXi that can be used to improve the quality of life for everyone.

19 minutes ago, mikegrr said:

So are there additional pages on this new g1000 nxi like a full engine page , checklist page , options for different maps, traffic alert options, etc?

Not at this point, except for some map options, but most of those are in the plan.

12 minutes ago, Jeff Nielsen said:

That's pre SU5 though?

No, that's with the latest pre-release code.   Again, your mileage will definitely vary, but in general I see performance gains of 1.25 to 2x in most areas with the new version on my system.   Most of that, in my case, is in CPU utilization, so folks who have been GPU limited may have a different experience.   I can't speak to that at all.

• Like 4

Have you tested the G 1000 NXi with the DA62X mod? Any issues?

Thanks for answering the questions!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ricardo41 said:

As I mentioned in another thread, there is a 500 page manual you can read online at the Garmin website.

Would  you provide a sense of just how deep this project currently is into fully modeling what is in that 500 page Garmin manual?  That would be most helpful.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

16 minutes ago, Ricardo41 said:

Have you tested the G 1000 NXi with the DA62X mod? Any issues?

I haven't tried it with the 62 mod, but Tommy was asking me about the same thing today.    I'll give it a shot if I have some time later (it's "fix freeware mods for SU5 day" for us today) but in general if it worked with the stock G1000 it should work with the NXi.  Things which relied on the enhanced engine pages we added in the freeware mod won't (yet) work, but it should at least not choke on the extra configuration items.

7 minutes ago, fppilot said:

Would  you provide a sense of just how deep this project currently is into fully modeling what is in that 500 page Garmin manual?

Oh man, that's a tricky one, I couldn't imagine how to begin putting a percentage number on it.   I would say we have a pretty good breadth of coverage in many areas, but still lack for depth in some places.   Perhaps one good example that comes to the top of my mind is that the Nearest Airports list on the PFD works, and you can both auto-tune the currently selected COM radio with it, and if you push DTO on an ICAO it will pop up a direct to window.  (And, yes, enter-enter works as it should. 😄 )    But you cannot set a vertical constraint on that page yet.

As @MattNischan discussed we have put a lot of effort into the flight path calculation, and that should be highly accurate to the real thing, including its ability to fly every ARINC leg type.   But at least in the first release that will be lacking a few things, such as the ability to enter a hold, although procedure holds do work.

We plan to tackle many of these things quickly, though. (But that whole appendix on LRU failures, you can probably ignore for a while at this point.  🙂 )

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, fppilot said:

Would  you provide a sense of just how deep this project currently is into fully modeling what is in that 500 page Garmin manual?  That would be most helpful.

That's a tough ask. There's a lot there, I'd have to read through the whole thing. Similarly, listing all that is there would be a long list too.

We're taking the same approach we did with the CJ4: important IFR navigational features and primary display stuff is first and foremost.

-Matt

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2