Sign in to follow this  
Guest angels355

The FSX retirement....

Did you actually read the article? If so, you need to read it again. If not, you really need to do so. Pay particular attention to the points regarding hardware scanning. DRM is much more than just playing "protected content".Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Dell Computer is still not shipping new computers with Vista. It remains an upgrade option. They are reviewing hardware compatibility issues according to their website. Bob..

Guest Ozzie

I'll bet the "family Heirlooms" that this will become a continuing saga - I am NOT a lawyer - but I know of a few that are taking some of this up with Government agencies here and also examining our existing LawsIf you want to encrypt things, my PGP key is linked from my home page.(In case the above hints aren't obvious enough, if you work for nVidia, ATI, VIA, SiS, Intel, ..., I'd really like to get your comments on how all of this is affecting you).Hopefully his little "HINT" may bring some more interesting facts into the openThis should be spread far and wide on the Internet because of the past history of being able to avert Legal actions or choose to ignore them as in the case of the EU Prosecution as presented by a google search

>For the time that my post was created, others were barely>getting 8- 12 FPS. >Nawwww, *I* was getting 20 back then.>>That's why I retired it in favor once more of a proven>current-hardware/software performer; FS9 and its enormous>support base.>I think Mitch has been kidnapped by some penguins with attitudes and been replaced by someone else.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest Ozzie

I think you have not really read the Article

Guest GA Flyer

Thanks for the link. A good amount of info to consider. Seems like any future PC purchases for me will be based mainly on games and move away from it being my "personal computer".From my viewpoint, my biggest dislike in anything is being "forced" to accept something and having others try and control my personal likes. Not a big fan of aol case in point.With the unhappy results of FSX and the worries about Vista, I am jumping out of the fast lane of trying to keep up with technology and enjoying what I have with FS9 and XP. Not to misunderstood, I welcome FSX and future releases just not in a big hurry to leave reliability in order to have latest and greatest, especially when theres no rush.From a marketing stand point I support Microsoft as a prime example of free enterprise. From a consumer stand point, I'll use my buying power to speak.I've been wanting to look at Mac's for my personal computering, thanks MS for pushing me along into your competitors hands.

Guest SuperFortress

>With a lot of users saying that you will be putting your>computer system at risk if you decide to change over your RAM>processing from program orientation to file orientation.>>I can only say from hours of flying FSX under the RAM>performance option that if you allow XP to run in this mode>(with at least 3 gigs of RAM in your system) you will FINALLY>get the flight sim performance that you up until now could>only dream of and fervently wish for.>>Two others are currently using this option. >>In running with LargeSystemCache format, (the old>NETWORK/SERVER option in Windows 98) Can anyone please tell me exactly where do I go in Windows XP to configure this option? Thank you.

Guest wyoming

said something very true and very short to the effect that Vista was mostly something else than an OS. The poster is right on the dot and contention is completely supported by the article.

Hey Geofa...going back to FS9 doesn't make ma all of a sudden, chop liver, ya know?!?!?I accept...when do we go!:)Hey..wanna pass me that yoke?Happy flying!BTW, are you a musician or producer?I found your reference to music interesting. I'm also a musician.Mitch

Nah..I'm still the pre-retirement FSX Mitch.It only makes sense.I'm not hungry enough to take that pork-chop from Vista's neck.FS9 and XP comes with no hammers.Before Vista was revealed, I was as excited about it as anybody. I love XP Pro. What a great G.U.I. No hammers and little black helicopters flying around within the code.Again, it's all relative. Some will install Vista for DX10. Others will not go near it like myself.I just hope that DX10 works for those that took on the overhead of Vista. If it truly does nothing for FSX---there is going to such an uproar! That...is a certainty. Oh yeah....oh yeah....I can see the Tea Party starting."I take mine with just milk, please..."(large grin).Mitch

Sounds like a plan!You set up a time, and I'm sure we'll have a blast.I play bass and piano. Love Jazz and Blues.It will be great to meet.We can talk flight **AND** our musical backgrounds!Coffee included.Mitch

Guest angels355

Sammie,Quick few notes. If you get the Vista upgrade, then to install it and have Vista verify that you qualify for that upgrade, XP or Win 2000 has to be PHYSICALLY installed on the target drive, if you want to do a clean install you then at that moment select to wipe the HD clean. When you do this upgrade and activation process, at that time your XP product key is forfeited, it is deactivated by MS. Sooo, if you want a dual installation, then you have to have another XP laying around, or you have to buy another XP license.Also in order to maintain the drive letters per each OS then there's a special procedure noted. I believe they said that you need to start the Vista install process from a booted up XP instead of doing a start up boot from the optical drive. If you try to do the boot up from the optical drive installation, if I'm remembering this correctly from a zdnet blog, then the "C" drive will be which ever OS is currently running Vista or XP. I believe they were saying that if you do the setup.exe file for Vista from XP on another drive or partition then you'll get "C" always XP and "D" (for example) always Vista or vice versa depending on what you choose. I believe that was what they were saying. Here's the article on clean installs, and also the notation of their invalidating the XP product key when you upgrade:http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=414&tag=nl.e622Here is the article in which they describe the dual install procedure:Go to the second page and read Thurrott's entry (the first page is good also):http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=221&tag=nl.e622

>I think you have not really read the Article huh??? You talkin ta me? I think you meant to reply to the original poster there fella.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB