Sign in to follow this  
Guest angels355

The FSX retirement....

Guest angels355

Mitch,Sorry to have broke your heart with that article, I believe Phantoms was the one that gave it to me originally. Just ask Phantoms or my buddy ladamson, I got over some of the activation concerns I had, and I WAS FEELING ALL WARM AND FUZZY about Vista etc, but then I read that article and that really upset me. Others who have complained about the activation process have said that they don't like Vista (some don't like XP either and hang onto their 98SE or ME), they call Vista "Big brother on a disk". I call it George Orwell on a disk, he was absolutely correct about the future, the future was just a couple decades late in arriving. I think FSX will run great on top equipment still using XP, but it's either got to be the very top equipment this year, or next year's equipment. I think ram is very important, the dx10 card, well I can do without it. It's probably going to be stunning. However I feel baited by Vista, buy into that then have Vista dictate control over my computer instead of me, the owner of the hardware, dictating control over it. Money doesn't come easily to me, every dollar has been hard earned, and this is my hardware I paid for, it is not share-hardware with MS! The article mentioned legitimate purchasers of media who will not be able to even view what they purchased because Vista deems it to be unsecured etc. That is totally obsurred, how can they get away with that? Why doesn't anyone speak up? MS doesn't listen to customers, they are deaf dumb and blind. Now I'm more determined than ever to explore Linux and Apple products. Of course I am still using old Microsoft products old OS's, old simulators, old equipment. That still turns my turbines! Hardly anyone ever talks about FS2000, I run it all the time. I just purchased TWO units of FS2002, I already own TWO units of FS9 and want more. As for FSX, it almost seems like I would be rewarding MS for not listening to their customers. I was interested in Vista Ultimate stand alone just for the exclusive purpose of running FSX DLX. Can you believe that I was going to spend all that money for Ultimate stand alone?? Now I can take that money and buy more worthwhile stuff, hardware, or take a hot chick out for lunch. Cheer up Mitch! FS9 is fabulous. I'm still wowed by it. By the way, I'm a musician also, although I haven't played a note in years. I studied the 32 Beethoven Piano Sonatas, lurned 'em in six months! Also played a little this and that of other composers, plus a little "Darth Vadar March" for good measure. Really enjoyed the Bach Tocatta and Fugue in d minor, reminds me of the movie "Rollerball" which was very futuristic. "Jonathon! Jonathon! Jonathon!" Cheer up! It's better to know the truth than to be fooled by smoke and mirrors. I'm also going to be checking out X-Plane. 8.5 is out now, 9.0 comes out this summer. Going to check out what's in store for Mac OSXI.

No broken heart, lol!What you DID do by providing that link (with great thanks)...as a 'good read' is make sure that not only yourself, myself, but anybody who wants to invest 15 minutes of their time---will put VISTA upon their computer, if at all, with EYES WIDE OPEN.Yeah..I would have loved to see FSX run as advertised, and run within the environment it was to be used in.But...as you say, and I have to heartily agree. FS9 is no 'dog' of a sim. It takes no back-seat to FSX. I'm not going to be hurting because of having gone back to it.Also, I have not 'thrown' FSX away, merely retired it until hardware becomes available (if ever...) that can run it to the same level as XP/FS9 with FPS head-room for any addons, AND as it came straight out of the box...no reduced, modified files.If that can be achieved outside the Vista/DX10 envelope, than of COURSE it will come out of retirement. Heck..I BOUGHT the thing and have my money now up there on the shelf!I was just tired of compromises with half throttled or less features and modified make-do. I was waiting on the 'WOW factor' and DX10 like everyone else. Yeah...wow....The fact that DX10 will not happen without Vista put the nail in the coffin.No broken hearts though, lol...I'm having a blast once more with FS9 because I no longer have one foot in each sim doorway. I can really now concentrate on one and enjoy the depth of it.I enjoy reading all forums no matter that I perhaps placed FSX on the shelf. To keep informed, is to be aware.Keep playing your instrument. They say learning a new song a week is like learning a new language. That is a great stimulator for the grey matter to keep it young!Enjoy!Mitch

Guest angels355

Thanks Mitch. Hope you have a good flight!

I have knowledge from a source close to the powers at be that a Vista bunker exists deep in the hills of Redmond Washington. The bunker should be fully operational by the time Vista SP1 is issued. It is code named the

Quite "hitchhikers guide to the galaxy"-like. Very funny!Gary

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

Guest angels355

Bob, you're so funny! When I get upset about these George Orwellian situations, it takes a little work to regain my sense of humor. I am testing the installation of perhaps the worst ever version of Windows, Win ME. If I can reach this point of being an aimless zhombie that actually LIKES Win ME, perhaps my sense of humor and interest in Windows might survive. But I don't think I've reached the point yet where I can part w/ $500 for a vesion of Windows that shuts down spontaneously, ON PURPOSE, much like Win ME. Alas, the forerunner, testbed, for XP (restore points) and Vista (shuts down on purpose).

Guest iwantmydc3

>A Cost Analysis of Windows Vista Content Protection>Peter Gutmann, pgut001@cs.auckland.ac.nz>http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.html>>--------------------------------------------------------------->>As this link was pointed out by another poster as a suggested>read, I did so.>>Thank GAWD...I didn't have a cup of coffee on the go at that>moment as my monitor would most likely been baptized with some>of it....>>After reading the entire article at least twice, and believe>me it is deep. You need to.>>I find that my hoping for FSX to actually run to a point>whereby it suspends disbelief such as in a 30-plus frames per>second- running copy of FS9 does, with the accompanying>satisfaction, most likely will not happen for at least this>flight simulation fan.>>If the FSX Magic Pill to bring FSX up to a point of>performance that at least equals FS9 with present high-end>components is DX10, AND that you must surrender sovereignty of>your personal computer system by placing that VISTA>abomination on your hard drive to get it---then I guess I>shall never see FSX perform to a level of satisfaction that I>paid for by purchasing the Deluxe Edition.>>I won't be going past XP Pro. Not with Microsoft Inc.>>I probably would have been one of the raiding ship boarders in>Boston throwing that Tea Party a long time ago... Yeah..I know>that I would have. I believe so strongly in personal>sovereignty. My computer is part of that personal franchise.>>I guess that FSX on my system is a dead horse and has become a>redundant issue in light of the entwining of VISTA/DX10.>>I have revisited FS9 over the last two weeks and have>'rediscovered' what I had been 'bulling' myself with---that>mediocre performance of FSX can be tolerated as long as there>might be a DX10 (whatever) 'pill' to make the sub-par>performance go away...>>FS9 has tremendous life still in the simulation. I can't>remember enjoying myself so much over the last two weeks as I>have since again fired up all the great FS9 addons, the FPS>horsepower to handle it all, and the fantastic real-life fluid>motion of consistent 30 FPS touch down. What a high! What a>simulation high!>>And all achieved without sacrificing control of my computer>system!>>FSX is now off my computer. It was removed shortly before>this post.It had great and promising features to be sure!!! .>I just can't sell myself out by installing VISTA (DX10) to get>hoped-for performance. I can't.>>Tomorrow, like I did with buying a copy of XP Pro, I am going>to go out and buy another retail of FS9. For myself--I guess>that this is the 'end of the MSFS' franchise for this MS>simmer, not others...I only speak for myself. My MSFS>franchise ends with FS9.>>I can't cry. MS put out ***one fantastic product*** all these>years and I have enjoyed each one of them. I've been in this>since 1978.>>FS9 has ALL the elements to give you a real-world environment.>That's all I ever wanted. To be allowed to fill the left hand>seat--and to be 'amongst' other pilots as we soared across the>virtual sky. Great A.I. does that in spades!>>FS9 has accomplished that mandate.>>I'm not disappointed. >>Too bad DX10 was not left a stand alone A.P.I.>>Too bad for a lot of us.>>Back to FS9 with no crocodile tears. Just enjoyment of the>hobby once more. Satisfied enjoyment.>>Cheers!>>Mitch R.>WAIT-Istill don't understand. I have NEVER cared about "frame rate" in so far as what the number is--I have always based things on, if I'm looking out the window, do I appear to have the sensation of smooth flight, take off roll, etc? If so, my "frame rates" are OK; if not, I have "stuttering" and need to change settings. After I read this post, I did something I've never done, through FS98, FS2000, 2002, 2004, and now, FSX--I turned the counter on. AFter all these months of reading these posts, I find my Dell XPS410 with Windows XP SP2 (1067 FSB, 2GB RAM, 512MB NVIDIA 7900GTX),runs FSX at 25-35 FPS, pretty consistently with everything to the right except air/sea/land traffic set at 50%-when I tried those all the way to the right, I had stuttering). So how is it those with computers much more powerful than mine, are reporting "Slideshows" and writing pages of "It will never run smoothly even with Vista and DX10?" and so forth? Am I missing someth9ing? Am I just lucky? What is going on?

Guest iwantmydc3

>Dell Computer is still not shipping new computers with Vista.>It remains an upgrade option. They are reviewing hardware>compatibility issues according to their website. >>Bob..There's another reason why I love my Dell :)

You aren't the John B. Wise, FS contributorreincarnated are you?Peter Sydney Australia

SuperFortressI didn't see where anyone answered your question.Left click START > RIGHT click computer > Left click properties > left click "advanced" tab in "System Properties" > In that window there is a "Performance" area of that window where you click settings > a new window opens "Performance Options" there is an another "Advanced" tab to click on > look for "Memory usage" part of that window > by default the "Programs" circle is selected. What Mitch is talking about is selecting the circle labeled "System Cache". Note there have been caveats in other threads about doing this and note what Mitch said in this thread."As a final note, I have always set my O.S. '95, '98 as a NETWORK computer (another name for SERVER) and as most of you who have also, have NEVER had an issue with a destroyed or non-bootable system. Just shut down XP after closing all open programs. If anybody REALLY sweats over this, then they could merely turn on FILE preferance, (you need to reboot to enable)fly their sim, and then before turning off the computer, go back to PROGRAM pref, for any other computer usage. The next time you boot..XP comes up as the default PROGRAM setting. Mitch R. "

Guest Hocking

I understand the original posters point. I have also put my FSX up in the closet and went back to FS9 for now. I am sure FSX will be a great sim for me in about a year. This is what FSX is missing for me at the moment:1) realistic planes from proven add-on developers (Level-D, PMDG, FeelThere, DreamFleet, and others)2) DX10 Update patchWithout these two things, FSX is worthless to me. Why change over now. When the DX10 patch comes out, and realistic planes are released for FSX, I will upgrade my PC, and make the switch to FSX. I anticipate this to be anywhere between June and November of this year.I don't want to spend hours upon hours trying to dumb FSX down to a level below what I already have in FS9. Why bother. Besides, I have a couple hundred dollars invested in add-ons for FS9 I might as well keep using. Ha!!Ha!!!!

>I don't want to spend hours upon hours trying to dumb FSX down>to a level below what I already have in FS9. Why bother. >Besides, I have a couple hundred dollars invested in add-ons>for FS9 I might as well keep using. Ha!!Ha!!!!>If I just just dumb FS9 "up" to the FSX level of high res textures thats in between all those fantastic FS9 scenery addons, then I could junk FSX too! :-hah Well, maybe not. I have the new RealAir SF260 for FSX, and it looks and flies even better than the FS9 version!Looks like I'll just have to keep both sims a running! :7 L.Adamson

Mitch... I'm sorry to read that FSX is not meeting up to your expectations (I'm running it on a three year old P4 @3.5ghz and I'm very happy with it), but complaining about it here isn't going to change things. If you prefer FS9 thats wonderful for you. Most of us come here to exchange ideas and information to better the FSX community. Posting threads about how bad one thinks FSX is compared to FS9 isn't adding much to this forum. Why not just go back to FS9 and its forum and leave the rest of us here to enjoy and explore FSX.ThanksRegards,Mark

i9-13900K @ 5.8Ghz / Asus TUF 4090 OC / 32 GB DDR 5 / Corsair 1000W PS /  Pimax Crystal / 2 SATA SSD / 2TB M2 SSD/ DOF Reality H3 motion platform/ Win 11 

Guest angels355

MITCH!!I wanted to cheer you up, read this thread. In my opinion, after learning a great deal from my buddies on this subject about DRM, I understand it now, and realize that it is just ordinary progress in our ever more regulated world. This DRM bologgna is about being able to play a hi def disk on your computer. Without this DRM our computers would not be licensed to play disks from Gollywood. Did you know that apparently it is illegal in the US to play DVD movies on Linux computers? That's because they are not licensed to, I play them all the time on my Winders computer, and they play on Macs too, because Winders and Macs are licensed to do so. Apparently Gollywood has their nose hairs tied in a bungie over this issue, so in order for Vista to be licensed to play this hi def Gollywood stuff, they have to install all this DRM bologgna. Probably a good reason why FSX is only 32 bit and only fractionally multithreaded. It's just like the Porsche racing effort or lack of in recent years, where Porsche enthusiasts were very angry because all the research and effort from the factory was going into that dog of a Porsche SUV. I hate SUV's. Any way Porsche racing enthusiasts were blaming lack of support and enthusiasm from the factory on that SUV, and in a likewise manner I wish they had spent all that DRM money on FSX. Any way, read this thread, there are some explanations here that illustrate the reasons why the DRM bologgna is required if you want to watch hi def video disks. It's all not as bad as we both thought it was. Perhaps we will both have Vista. Just remember, to be a power user in Vista 4 gb's of ram is required, I think you mentioned that you already have that? Great to visit with you Mitch. I hope I'll see you more on these forums, and want to wish you happy flying. I'm glad you enjoy FS9, I still fly it all the time and want more. Now that I'm understanding MS programs and policies better I think I can handle it all. But one thing I think might be true, it might take either DX10, or next year's hardware to run FSX really well. Perhaps Vista is not as bad as all that, perhaps we'll both have it. Best wishes.http://forums.flightsim.com/dc/dcboard.php...page=&mode=full

Guest lmoelleb

>Spend the few minutes and actually read that article. The>reason MS has jumped into the content protection market full>steam is that in the future, they want to own content>protection, with the millions it will bring them with every>move having to go through MS. I did read the article (at least I think I got it all, I read it in a rather non-linier way). And let's just say that the way he wrotes really gives an excelent oppertunity to excersize the "critical" reading they tought in school - for a good reason I see now.I guess you base the comment about on this fact presented in the article:"So although Microsoft have tried to downplay the perceived impact of Vista's content-protection by stating that it'll only apply when premium/commercial content is present, this conveniently sidesteps the fact that Microsoft hopes that this situation will become universal in the near future. The whole future of Vista's content protection is predicated on this fact, because without near-universal premium content there's no point in having content-protection features in the first place."First alarm bell goes of when he talks about "fact". Hmm. Sure it is a fact. Is that why he has no sources? No reasoning backing it up? No nothing. It's also a fact everyone reading this ows me 100$ - I guess nobody will beleive this (one can hope though), so why should we beleive the facts from this guy? Then there is the last part of no point in having content-protection features in the first place. Microsoft is trying to position their TV in the living room (the former Windows Media Center, now part of Vista Premium and Ultimate). for this to work, they'll obviously have to be able to replace DVD players, hard disk recorders, Blu-ray/HD DVD players, and perferable also satalite receivers, cable decoders etc. Now try to look up Blue-ray on Wikipedia. Here you will find the following text:"In addition, Blu-ray Disc players must follow AACS guidelines pertaining to outputs over non-encrypted interfaces. This is set by a flag called the Image Constraint Token (ICT), which would restrict the output-resolution without HDCP to 960