Sign in to follow this  

Is it possible to adjust the AIR file in FSX?

From what I've read horsepower can be adjusted by editing this file, but is there an editor available for FSX?

In general, more and more of the adjustable elements can be done in the aircraft.cfg file rather than the .air file.You might try making adjustments in that file.AirEd will open, adjust and change elements in FSX .AIR files, however there are many more unknown elements in the FSX files than in FS2004 files. aired152_update806.zip in the Avsim Library.

Do you happen know if horsepower can be adjusted in the cfg?If so where?I'm interested in boosting my reno racer to 4000hp to see what it can do.

I'm not a FD expert, but as I understand it you will have to "rebuild" the piston engine section to get the extra horsepower.One other thing you may want to change is your reference speed max_indicated_speed and max_mach numbers. Those trigger overspeed warnings and crashes.

>Do you happen know if horsepower can be adjusted in the cfg?>If so where?>>I'm interested in boosting my reno racer to 4000hp to see what>it can do. >Yeah...I'd like to know this too. I have been meaning to make the Flight 1 172R into a 172S. Give it a 180HP engine.Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

LOL,Ya well I cheated I while a go trying to do that dam jet truck mission (it was driving me nuts) so ...[piston_engine]max_rated_hp= 500turbocharged= 1EDIT - And I think I bumped the displacement and compression up as well, like 10:1 and 100cu. Can't remember as I reset it after finishing the mission.In the aircraft.cfg, and as Reggie said bump up your max_indicated_speed as you'll be hitting that in no time flat.Make sure you hang on .. ;)Garett

yes thats right. And if you want to up a jet's power, you can adjust the thrust_scalar settings in the .cfg file, and reach Earth orbit in your sim.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Coolness. I want to see if I can beat the time to climb world record of 91.1 secs to 3000m set by the Rare Bear.

Ever wondered what GE90-115B's (The record holder) would be like on the 737 - providing they fit under the wings amongst maybe just a few issues. ;)[TurbineEngineData]fuel_flow_gain = 0.002inlet_area = 115.0rated_N2_rpm = 29920 (Spec state N2 RPM is 11292 @ 121% though)static_thrust = 115300 (They've pulled 127,900 in tests)Just watched a real good show on TLC the other night about these monsters. No wonder the 777 can fly with only one of them .. Bet you it pulls to the left like a bugger !!http://www.geae.com/engines/commercial/ge90/ge90-115b.htmlGarett

They say that a 777 engine is larger diameter than the FUSELAGE on the early 737 models!! (!!!)In FS the other day I taxied up to an AI 777 in my trike. Man was that engine huge.Someone here put bigger engines on their A321 and flew it into orbit in FSX a few months ago...RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

The Boeing 777 had its first flight in 1994. To this date there have been no hull loss accidents and no fatalities in the aircraft (one outside). Considering it carries more people than the A330 or A340 and 600 are in service, this is an impressive record. I think part of that record is the powerful and well-built engines. On my flights in 777s I never feel that mushy feeling after takeoff that you feel in less powerful airliners. It feels powerful, fast and solid even from the passenger's seat. It must be fun to fly.Ben

Wow, looks like something out of the "Terminator" movies...And you know every curve on that blade is perfectly designed and curved that way for a specific reason...RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

Yeah I'd like to see the computer models they designed that with. Reminds me of a blade from an electric razor. Computer engineered for "lift and cut". lol

Ok here is my little guide on reworking your engine via the aircraft.cfg file to boost horsepower. It's simple enough if you have knowledge of how piston engines work, as each parameter effects the engine power as you would expect it too.First of all, max_rated_hp= does nothing at all, from what I can tell, becuase regardless of what I set this too the engine power is governed by the specs of the engine as outlined in the parameters below. Correct me if I'm wrong.Now the easiest way to increase HP is to add cyliners, or displacement to those cylinders. cylinder_displacement= and number_of_cylinders= respectivly. If you double up either of these, you will have double the horsepower, or if you increase by 25%, you have 25% more power, etc.A substantial gain in power can come from increasing your max RPM. This setting is max_rated_rpm=. An increase in this value implies all the needed engine adjustments to move the power band higher. The other two serttings that affect power are your compression ratio, and manifold/boost pressure. These are compression_ratio= and max_design_mp=. Only if you install a turbo/supercharger to your engine with turbocharged=1, will you be able to specify a manifold/boost pressure. The higher you set the manifold pressure, the more air you are compressing into the engine with a faster supercharger or a larger turbo, hence a higher air pressure density, and more oxygen to create power with.As an example, in order to get the Spitfire from 2050hp up to 3000hp with the same engine block, the manifold/boost pressure is simply increased from 66.8 to 72, and RPM is increased from 2790 to 3200. In the case of the Spitfire, it measures PSI of boost rather than manifold pressure. 66.8 MP is equal to +18lb boost, and 75 MP is equal to +21 boost. Now remember, in the real world if you go upping the boost of your engine you will have to deal with detonation, possibly resulting resulting in a blown engine, so keep that incomming air as cold as possible with the best intercooler you can afford!Enjoy.