Sign in to follow this  
Isaiah53six

Microsoft/Asobo proved they're pandering to console users

Pure speculation:

The majority of Xbox users that download the sim will get it for "free" via Game Pass, try it out for 1 hour maximum and then delete it because it's "boring" since there are no guns and you can't blow up stuff.

Asobo / Microsoft will be puzzled and worried by this but I further speculate that the only reason that the revival of flight sim was given the go ahead was because the Microsoft bean counters were promised an Xbox version.

• Like 3

Intel Core i5-12600k, Nvidia RTX 2080 Super, 64 Gigs.

Does anyone know what graphics settings are preset on Xbox X, has anyone made a comparison with a PC on Ultra?

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

8 minutes ago, JSmith2112 said:

Asobo / Microsoft will be puzzled and worried by this but I further speculate that the only reason that the revival of flight sim was given the go ahead was because the Microsoft bean counters were promised an Xbox version.

From the comments that Asobo and Jorg Neumann from MS have said since the project was announced, I think they know very well that most Xbox users, like most PC users, aren't going to be interested in the sim. However, bringing the sim to the Xbox does open it up to new users that may well not even have a PC these days, as well as make a good option for those that don't want to spend thousands on a new PC.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, goates said:

However, bringing the sim to the Xbox does open it up to new users that may well not even have a PC these days, as well as make a good option for those that don't want to spend thousands on a new PC.

Indeed. If I didn't already have a reasonably decent gaming PC I'd strongly consider getting an Xbox myself for the sim.

Intel Core i5-12600k, Nvidia RTX 2080 Super, 64 Gigs.

4 hours ago, Chock said:

Yup, the only thing that whines louder than a Pratt and Whitney JT8D when it is cranking up, is a flight simmer when a patch comes out.

🤣 This is one of the few things in this thread worth the time it takes to read.   (Discussion between RXP and Virtuali excluded)

I think anyone who thinks the intent is to "dumb down" the sim should go try the early release NXi that Microsoft has for some reason paid us to make while they're otherwise "dumbing down" everything else.

This has been the pattern from the start:  incremental improvements with the occasional regression needed for further improvements.   There's no reason to expect that that will change now.

It's unfortunate that some people are dissatisfied, but on the whole the reaction to the update, even from PC users, seems to be really positive.  Perhaps a bit of perspective could be helpful.

Edited by kaosfere
  • Like 7

Here is another quick vid of what I am seeing, and all I can say is that if this is an example of "Dumbed down" Xbox graphics, well, I can remember playing another sim that I invested hundreds if not thousands of dollars into, not to mention hours and probably cumulative months of fiddling with, and I would have killed for this level of graphics at this framerate and this pace of advancements and updates.

So, for me....... Viva La XBoX! 🥳

• Like 10

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

21 hours ago, Dillon said:

I was just berated for this concern a few threads ago.  Haven’t had a chance to really look at the sim as it’s still downloading stuff but what I’ve seen so far causes concern.

This cloud concept forces us on a ride we can’t control with this hobby.  Not a fan at all of cloud controlled software.  

Bruh stop capping. The concern you expressed then had nothing to do with graphics but was related to the flight model. The responses you got were warranted.

• Like 1

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

Well if it brings young/new people into flight sims from consoles I'll accept the compromise and constant loading objects!

Chris Camp

59 minutes ago, Krakin said:

Bruh stop capping. The concern you expressed then had nothing to do with graphics but was related to the flight model. The responses you got were warranted.

Bruh, I was talking about the the sim in general and it's not the first time I said it.  That being said I'm hoping for the best and there are more than a few great things about SU5.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

23 hours ago, SP2472 said:

I agree, you should be able to control your own computer/software. You can roll-back your updates in windows, remember every system is different.

Darryl

Except that much of it isn't your own computer/software.  Almost everything you see is being generated in the cloud and being downloaded to you in realtime.  Flight simulator is NOT stand alone software anymore.  It is client/server software.  And for client/server software to properly work, everyone needs to be at the same version.

PC gamers who have played MMORPG's like World or Warcraft, or multiplayer shooters like Call of Duty have resigned themselves to mandatory upgrades now for years.  

And I don't expect that to go back.  In fact, technology is moving towards 100% streaming.

With Xbox Mobile, I was able to stream from my Xbox, Cyberpunk 2077 and play it through a Fire HD tablet.  I'm actually going to see if I can launch Flight simulator from my Series X through my tablet to see what it looks like.

Microsoft has already stated that they are working on a 100% streaming version of Flight Simulator to release to last gen Xbox One consoles.

As internet connections continue to get better, developers are going to want more and more control over the hardware they develop on.  (Within a decade) I imagine your home PC will be nothing more than a streaming box, and you will have to deal with whatever you get from the developer.

I have both a PC and a series X, and am glad to see flight simulation opened up to the masses.  The nice thing about Series X version, I don't have to tweak a thousand things trying to eek that extra bit of FPS.  I played that game my entire adult life.  It's nice to jump in and get smooth as silk performance with no fuss.

Those of you still tied to the past.  Enjoy your simulation of choice.  But don't expect MSFS to ever get rid of mandatory updates.  It's simply not feasible given how the real world streaming of scenery is required.

Edited by wthomas33065
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Tom Wright said:

Probably going to go against the grain here; not tried it on my PC yet but I've just got it all installed on my fresh out-the-box Series S and I'm blown away, it's epic.

I was tempted to try it as well (should I be able to buy an X-Box for a "normal" price), but mostly the impossibility of installing any freeware from flightsim.to etc. hold me back. I might change my mind if this will become possible at a point, but I doubt to see this anytime soon.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

1 minute ago, pmb said:

I was tempted to try it as well (should I be able to buy an X-Box for a "normal" price), but mostly the impossibility of installing any freeware from flightsim.to etc. hold me back. I might change my mind if this will become possible at a point, but I doubt to see this anytime soon.

Kind regards, Michael

Yes, but amazingly, several of my payware airports that I purchased for the PC were compatible with the console.  That's cool, and that's a game changer for Marketplace.  If I purchase an FSDT airport on the PC, and it's unlocked on the console, I get both versions for the price of one.  Pretty sweet.

I was able to find a Series X for a "normal" price as part of a bundle that included 3 months of game pass, the series x and the 1GB expansion card, which were all purchases I was planning to make anyway.

The Series S version runs at 1080p native and looks stunning, but you can tell that the draw distance, especially in cities has been lowered.  The Series X is running 1440p upscaled to 4K and is really impressive.

So i guess at day time these popping trees when panning is not a big deal for some. Have you tried it at night ? 😄 

It literally shut down the city and take about 3 sec to turn up again.

Roi Ben

1 minute ago, roi1862 said:

So i guess at day time these popping trees when panning is not a big deal for some. Have you tried it at night ? 😄 

It literally shut down the city and take about 3 sec to turn up again.

I did some serious vomit inducing panning using Track IR over London and it was fine. I also did it over a forest area somewhere in US. On many panning attempts there was no pop in that I noticed and I am using a 32inch monitor at 4k. On some fast panning attempts I noticed a few areas popped in but it was not that annoying and only happens if I pan very quickly. I guess some people are hyper in front of their monitors with panning.

• Like 1