Sign in to follow this  
jmdriskell

BIKF Display Problems

I have a problem with the layout and display of the Keflavík (BIKF) airport display in FSX-SE.  I don't have any additional scenery or terrain features added.  Reykjavík (BIRK) airport displays OK.  I've attached a couple of screen shots for BIKF and I'm wondering if someone who is more familiar with scenery design  can help he correct this problem.  As it now stands, BIKF is unusable.

Thanks,

Jim Driskell

BIKF.jpg

BIKF_BAD.jpg

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

James M Driskell, Maj USMC (Ret)

Hi Jim,

Are you sure you do not have any other scenery installed.  I loaded up FSX steam today and went to the default BIKF and it looks ok to me.  From your pics, it looks like you have a conflict with two sceneries for BIKF.  The runways are at one elevation and the airport background is at another elevation.  I did check the default scenery files and the BIKF airport and the background vector files are at 171 feet.  I would check your scenery config and confirm that there are no other sceneries for Iceland or BIKF installed.  This would included ORBX Europe for example.

Edited by johncott

Specs: black box thingy with spinning fans, lights and a bunch of wires that go to screens with pretty colours and a keyboard with many keys. The black box thingy also has a push button activated coffee cup holder.

John C.

Thanks for the heads up John, I'll check it out.

Jim

Hi John,

I did find another BIKF.bgl in an ORBX directory which I renamed .bak.  The ORBX files were not activated.  The stock BIKF airport still looks like the mess above.  I disabled the stock version and installed a version from the AVSIM library but got the same results.  I checked the elevations of the stock airport and runways.  They are all 52.120 meters (171 ft).  I'm at a loss to see where the problem is.  This is the only airport that gives me problems and I fly all over the world. Any advice?

Thanks,

Jim

John,

Update.  Disabled the AECBIKF.bgl file in scenery\world\scenery and the problem has gone away.  Somehow that file was corrupted.  Do you know what the function of this file is?  The system loads and displays BIKF OK.

Jim

3 hours ago, jmdriskell said:

John,

Update.  Disabled the AECBIKF.bgl file in scenery\world\scenery and the problem has gone away.  Somehow that file was corrupted.  Do you know what the function of this file is?  The system loads and displays BIKF OK.

Jim

Jim,

Thanks for the update.  This is a file installed with either the ORBX free Iceland demo or the OLC Europe product. The AECXXXX.bgl files are elevation correction files for their scenery.  In real life BIKF is 171 feet, For some reason ORBX changes it to 130 feet.  The file is probably not corrupt, you do not need it if you do not have the previously mentioned ORBX products installed.  If you have issues with other Icelandic airport elevations you may want to check to see if there are other AECXXXX.bgl files in the scenery\world\scenery folder.

John

Specs: black box thingy with spinning fans, lights and a bunch of wires that go to screens with pretty colours and a keyboard with many keys. The black box thingy also has a push button activated coffee cup holder.

John C.

Hi John,

Yep, the AECBIKF file is set to 130 feet.  I checked it with the Airport Design Editor.  I was thinking about changing the elevation to 171 feet but since the file isn't necessary, I'll run without it.  I previously had problems with KSEA that it think were caused by ORBX.  I installed T2G KSEA but airport looked like junk.  I'm sorry I bought a bunch of ORBX products.  I have an older machine, running FSX-SE and found that I was running out of memory in the Seattle area, so I've turned off almost all of the ORBX products.  Apparently ORBX affects more that meets the eye.

Thanks for your help.

Jim