Sign in to follow this  
RobJC

SU 5: The best and worst version so far

This latest update is so close to being great, yet it has some issues that make it easily the worst version yet. For example, I have tried 3 flights and I have had 3 CTD, so on that front this is the least stable version I have tried. It crashed trying to download. It crashes in flight. But the performance is so good (when it isn't crashing) that I am super pumped to load this sim up. I finally was able to use motion blur on Ultra and it really transforms the movement inside the cockpit. It just has a cinematic quality to it now, and the daytime lighting is really good. Now that my FPS is insane (70 to 100 fps in most places) I can see how some of these settings impact the experience, and wow. But, what the MSFS Gods giveth they also take away in other areas. The ground looks so sharp until I get higher up, then it becomes a blurry mess. 

So close. Yet not quite there yet. 

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

12 minutes ago, RobJC said:

This latest update is so close to being great, yet it has some issues that make it easily the worst version yet. For example, I have tried 3 flights and I have had 3 CTD, so on that front this is the least stable version I have tried. It crashed trying to download. It crashes in flight. But the performance is so good (when it isn't crashing) that I am super pumped to load this sim up. I finally was able to use motion blur on Ultra and it really transforms the movement inside the cockpit. It just has a cinematic quality to it now, and the daytime lighting is really good. Now that my FPS is insane (70 to 100 fps in most places) I can see how some of these settings impact the experience, and wow. But, what the MSFS Gods giveth they also take away in other areas. The ground looks so sharp until I get higher up, then it becomes a blurry mess. 

im happy over all . we gain some we lose some but were getting somewhere . 

• Like 1

Image removed as image is no longer available.

15 minutes ago, RobJC said:

Yes and that’s the “tragedy of Asobo”: ran all the way to the finish line, only to stop an inch short of winning…

• Like 3

Are we really so happy that an AAA title game runs so great on a mid-low spec-ed PC? 

If Aboso did such a great job with performance gains, then why did they need to make looking right, then left looking out the side windows (which I like to do when scanning the scenery using left/right camera view) have such god-awful immersion-breaking pop ups, ground texture filling-in that takes a second or so to get into focus? It's so noticable. Didn't have that last week. Nice "feature". Thanks.

What good is having a 3080 or a even a super 2080 if nothing is gained?

If MSFS - with my 5700xt looked a little bit better than SU4, i would be estatic. But (i know what i see) my sim looks worse. I see it. I knew i should have take screen shoots a few days ago to compare to know, but I know what I see. As soon as I started up MSFS with SU5, 

And I going to rant all night? No, it's not the end of the world, and I understand MS has to go where the money is (xbox) but just remember this:

The Xbox specs will be the same next month as it will be in two years. PC parts will be FASTER and BETTER next year. MSFS probably can not get "visually" better, because the sim has to run on the components the Xbox has spec-ed.  So when the 3090 or 3080ti next years get cheaper, will these cards be worth buying to get a better experience in two years?  Will the pop up, side refreshing every be removed? I doubt it. It's an immersion killer for me. Looks less perfect - yes, this past weekend, it look perfect to me. Even just on "high" setting.

Edited by SlowFlyer
  • Like 2

10850K, MSI Unify Z490, 32gb G.Skill Ripjaw 3600 CL16, MSI 5700 XT 8gb, Nochua NH-U12a, WD 500gb Black SSD (OS- Windows 10 Pro), Samsung 2tb Evo plus SSD (games), Superflower 850 watts power supply

Today for the first time I had CTD on MSFS, 3 in a row later I remembered I had disabled Windows Game Mode and had disabled Hardware GPU scheduling, enabled both and played for hours without CTD.
Edited by EduSCA

2 minutes ago, SlowFlyer said:

god-awful immersion-breaking pop ups, ground texture filling-in that takes a second or so to get into focus

None of that is true.

• Like 4

FSX | DCS | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | IL2:BoX

Favorite aircraft currently: MSFS Savage Cub

21 minutes ago, UAL4life said:

Yes and that’s the “tragedy of Asobo”: ran all the way to the finish line, only to stop an inch short of winning…

I agree except the "tragedy" characterization because Asobos are running alone with out any opponent ( at least for now)  which means they set their own  finish line

Edited by Seth2021
  • Like 1

Intel Core i9-13900K | ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce RTX 4090 GAMING OC 24GB | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | DDR5 64GB 6000-30 Trident Z5 RGB | Corsair ICUE H170i Elite Capellix RGB | Corsair 7000D Airflow ASUS ROG Thor Platinum II 1200 Watt | Samsung SSD 990 Pro NVMe M.2 2TB & 1TB | Alienware AW3423DW | Asus ROG Swift PG279Q 27" Gaming Monitor | VKB-Sim Gladiator Mk.II | Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant Airbus Edition

So to avoid CTD it's recommended to enable Windows Game Mode? Is this true? Where did you hear such a thing? And I think I already have MSFS configured for Hardware GPU Scheduling.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

42 minutes ago, RobJC said:

What's your PC specs / resolution ?? 

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 4090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 8K Samsung Q900A 65" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

31 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

After updating the base MSFS to 1.18.13.0, did you run all the marketplace updates also (I had 29 pending)?

MS/Asobo did make several breaking changes that has triggered re-work from many 3rd party vendors (myself included).

Cheers, Rob.

Hey Rob, I did not have any updates in the marketplace. I only own the DC-6 right now, plus KDEN and both those were bought outside the marketplace.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

Just now, Sphynnx said:

What's your PC specs / resolution ?? 

See sig. 

3 minutes ago, Slides said:

None of that is true.

I could video record the refreshing and ground texture being out of focus and popping in. Sure it doesn't happen in panning, as i stated in another post, but i use the camera view a lot. and this is what i feel.

I don't know why you say it's not true when I see it. Maybe it doesn't happen to you or it doesn't bother you at all, but, good on you, it bothers me.

I know what i saw on Sunday when I played, and i see what i see now.

It is immersion killing for me. I speak for no one else but me.

It's to the point where I played for about an hour, and have no interest in turning msfs on. I'm back to GTA and the witcher. I was on the hype train last week, got run over. 

• Like 4

10850K, MSI Unify Z490, 32gb G.Skill Ripjaw 3600 CL16, MSI 5700 XT 8gb, Nochua NH-U12a, WD 500gb Black SSD (OS- Windows 10 Pro), Samsung 2tb Evo plus SSD (games), Superflower 850 watts power supply

3 minutes ago, RobJC said:

Hey Rob, I did not have any updates in the marketplace. I only own the DC-6 right now, plus KDEN and both those were bought outside the marketplace.

Updates are in your content manager 

3 minutes ago, SlowFlyer said:

I could video record the refreshing and ground texture being out of focus and popping in. Sure it doesn't happen in panning, as i stated in another post, but i use the camera view a lot. and this is what i feel.

I don't know why you say it's not true when I see it. Maybe it doesn't happen to you or it doesn't bother you at all, but, good on you, it bothers me.

I know what i saw on Sunday when I played, and i see what i see now.

It is immersion killing for me. I speak for no one else but me.

It's to the point where I played for about an hour, and have no interest in turning msfs on. I'm back to GTA and the witcher. I was on the hype train last week, got run over. 

XP and p3d is still available. Maybe one of those will be better for you 

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, RobJC said:

This latest update is so close to being great, yet it has some issues that make it easily the worst version yet

A hallmark of great people / software.

bs

• Like 1

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER