Sign in to follow this  
Guest bustervk

New Freeware European Ground Textures Available,

Guest yarvelling

Missed that one...thanks for the heads-up... ;) Downloading now...

Interesting to read on the Cloud9 forum (Auothors of FSX landclass replacement packs):"A better solution would be acting on the textures themselves, because I think the default ones are not representing in the right way seasonal differences. Expecially for fields, a texture shouldn't have an uniform color cast (brown, green, yellow) like they are now, but instead *parts* of the texture should change to brownish colors during fall/winter and parts should remain green.Given the huge amount of textures in FSX, this is some kind of different work, that will also change the nature of a product like X-Class, because it would probably no longer be of a size manageable as a download, and will not certainly cost 9.99$ anymore."(http://forum.fscloud9.it/viewtopic.php?t=4336)So we now get a better looking FSX for free without all the problems of changed landclass (arid grid cities in Norway, pines in the Savanna when flying the "Game park" mission, ...).Great!

Guest alex333

That's great news, and thanks to Adam Mill for those textures :)Downloading them as I write...However, I'd like to see some screenshots before actually installing the textures. Are they modified original textures or are they completely new ones?Alex

Did anyone already tested these European Ground Textures?ThksEdmundo

Edmundo Azevedo

Guest diajohn2

I tried them last evening. I really couldn't find much difference with the default. Could be me and I did not spend a lot of time looking. They did not cause any problem for that short use.

Hi,Well, I'm rather disappointed that you saw little difference between the modified european textures and the default ones. The most dramatic differences can be seen in the winter and over mountainous terrain. If you are using a landclass enhancement such as Cloud 9's X-Class series then you probably won't see much change because their solution to the desert and winter problem was to modify the seasons so that, for example, green (spring) textures would show up in winter.Thank you for trying them all the same,Adam Mills.

So you are saying that if we are using Cloud 9 Xclass these new textures will not make a difference?At least a notable difference?I have downloaded them but not yet installed.Thanks for any info.Ron

Bring back Chief Illiniwek!University of Illinois.

The textures are reworked versions of the original ones.Until now I was able to download the parts 1 to 3 (field textures), and a direct comparison of the files with the XNview browser showed, that most mild winter textures have much more green areas and the bare earth is much darker (which is realistic due to high soil moisture). The autumn textures often are somewhat darker and desaturated (not so "comic like" colors).Will post some comparisons when I have all packs.

just one world: superb!!a very grateful thanks for this great improvement and for the hudge work.these new textures are probably the best improvement to FSX until now.waiting forward to seeing the US textures :-)again, thank you very muchbest regards,David

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

>So we now get a better looking FSX for free without all the>problems of changed landclass (arid grid cities in Norway,>pines in the Savanna when flying the "Game park" mission,>...).I wrote that comment and, of course, it was written from a commercial developer point of view. Meaning: if WE (or any other payware dev.) had to do a texture replacement pack, the time/cost would be quite significant, because we surely can't sell a texture collection made with default FSX textures with some color balancing applied, for obvious copyright reasons.While I'm sure that Microsoft wouldn't probably object to a freeware offering that makes users happy, a commercial developer doesn't enjoy the same luxury to do such a quick job: we should paint everything from scratch, every landclass, every variation, for every season, with matching autogen.

I went to that website and it looks to me like the new textures are not compatible with Cloud9 Xclass.It looks like the textures cancel out the xclass.I installed them and flew Switzerland and the new textures look very good and I did not notice any lack of Xclass.Ron

Bring back Chief Illiniwek!University of Illinois.

>I went to that website and it looks to me like the new>textures are not compatible with Cloud9 Xclass.It looks like>the textures cancel out the xclass.Replacement textures that are compatibile with FSX can't be "incompatibile" with a Landclass scenery. In fact, there are absolutely no problems if used together with XClass. In that case, you'll get the more detailed land coverage offered by XClass, with the different colours of this texture set. If one prefers the XClass+default combination, or the XClass+this texture set combination, it's only a matter of taste, but I don't see any problems if used together.