Sign in to follow this  
roi1862

Washed out scenery colors ?

It is not only the colors, it also effects shadow casting and reflections in my opinion.

There was a wonderful picture for comparison posted in the MSFS Forums. (Credit goes to lukasrz1984)

5202185c617bad8477168e987d69087a571e61bf

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 6297J said:

The whites are still overblown with bloom off but its nowhere near as bad. 

You need the ability to only adjust the highlights or the ability to create a custom tone curve to bring the brighter whites to a higher gamma (higher gamma means darker). You can also try lowering your contrast setting which is actually your peak white level, but i doubt the game uses the peak whites that often, so it's going to be just below the peaks that need toned down. You need a ReShader like utility, I haven't used one in years, but I found this...

https://reshade.me/forum/shader-presentation/6167-prod80-s-shader-library

It looks like it lets you create a "Photoshop" like custom tone curve, you may be able to do it inside your display's gamma setting, but a lot of monitors either don't have it or it's a manual setting I guess (not sure). My display has it built in, but it's not common. Most displays will let you change gamma if you look around, but some are hard to change as a curve. You only want to change the brighter parts of the gamma by creating a curve, changing the entire gamma is going to be more detrimental to the image usually.

Edited by Alpine Scenery

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

Thanks for this but to be honest my number one hobby and occasional source of income is photography so my monitors will be set up for that first and foremost. Just switching to HDR for MSFS is enough for now. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 6297J said:

Thanks for this but to be honest my number one hobby and occasional source of income is photography so my monitors will be set up for that first and foremost. Just switching to HDR for MSFS is enough for now. 

It's totally understandable, but with a ReShade like utility you can probably create a custom tone curve without changing your monitors settings. That's one of the advantages of using software to do it.

I may mess with it later if i get a chance, rather than adjust my tone curve in my display too.

1 hour ago, Bandyka said:

Have bloom off and set the Windows slider to default.

Its also possible that you have adjusted your monitor brightness. Get it back to default and test. In HDR if you have such overblown whites that generally means brightness is set incorrectly somewhere.

I will turn Bloom OFF

I will reset to middle.

I think its bloom with the whites I cannot even look at the sun...I will also look at Brightness, but Ive already turned that down. But noted.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

12 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

I think its bloom with the whites I cannot even look at the sun...I will also look at Brightness, but Ive already turned that down. But noted.

I'm interested to see how it goes for you. But I thought I should point out that the thing bloom helps with is exactly the above — makes it so that you don't want to look directly at the sun, which of course you wouldn't do in real life either. MSFS is the first game I've played where I get a sense of brightness like I would in real life.

Flying in the Piper Arrow once, the sun was low directly in front of my windshield, and I saw barely anything out of the window. I had one of those jaw dropping moments, when I lowered the sunshades, and could suddenly make out the landscape again (with a less intense sun) exactly as I would expect in real life.

I think a sunglasses mode (like in XP) would be really helpful in the sim.

The other elephant in the room is even if you adjust your screen to compensate for the weird colour profile they are using on SDR monitors, when you record video it will still be washed out.

9 minutes ago, Redge said:

I'm interested to see how it goes for you. But I thought I should point out that the thing bloom helps with is exactly the above — makes it so that you don't want to look directly at the sun, which of course you wouldn't do in real life either. MSFS is the first game I've played where I get a sense of brightness like I would in real life.

Flying in the Piper Arrow once, the sun was low directly in front of my windshield, and I saw barely anything out of the window. I had one of those jaw dropping moments, when I lowered the sunshades, and could suddenly make out the landscape again (with a less intense sun) exactly as I would expect in real life.

I think a sunglasses mode (like in XP) would be really helpful in the sim.

I totaly agree, I think I gave a bad example with the sun, a better one would be the white lines on a runway with the sun on them but behind me are just pure bright white. I really hope its just Bloom being on, its hard to explain when you cannot take screenshots. 

Edited by Nyxx
  • Like 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

1 hour ago, ShinjukuFlyer said:

It is not only the colors, it also effects shadow casting and reflections in my opinion.

There was a wonderful picture for comparison posted in the MSFS Forums. (Credit goes to lukasrz1984)

5202185c617bad8477168e987d69087a571e61bf

Yah, it ruined a lot of my custom placed parking lots and roads in my airport, blows them out so much turns them white similarly to the picture above. Have to back and redo a bunch of work. As people know, not happy with this update, said my peace...

Edited by Alpine Scenery
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

I will turn Bloom OFF

I will reset to middle.

Since its perfectly fine on mine and not on yours logically thinking it has to be settings specific. Take a photo of what you see, it would be much easier to comment and try to rectify.

Simming since FS 98. MSFS rig - Ryzen 3600 4.2Ghz - 32GB RAM 3600Mhz - Motherboard MSI 570 A Pro - RTX 2080 Ti -all overclocked - 2xNVME storage. PSU Corsair HX850i platinum. Average 30Fps on 4K ultra.

@Alpine Scenery Mightn't it be wise to wait for the hotfix to land and see if they fix the lighting, before you spend time changing all your textures?

• Like 2

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

Just now, ckyliu said:

@Alpine Scenery Mightn't it be wise to wait for the hotfix to land and see if they fix the lighting, before you spend time changing all your textures?

Yah definitely, I'm waiting on several patches, then I will fix it if the problem is still there.

@Bandyka - I just checked my Windows display settings and Nvidia control panel, and while my monitor claims to support 10-bit color, the dropdown is limited to 8-bit and is disabled. Am I missing something?

2 minutes ago, Redge said:

@Bandyka - I just checked my Windows display settings and Nvidia control panel, and while my monitor claims to support 10-bit color, the dropdown is limited to 8-bit and is disabled. Am I missing something?

When you turn on HDR it also turns ON WCG on the page or the setting page it shows for me, ive gone to 10bit!

Edited by Nyxx

13 minutes ago, Redge said:

In that case something in the video chain isn't capable of 10bit, most typically its the hdmi cable.

Also instead of RGB try YCBCR 4:2:2

Simming since FS 98. MSFS rig - Ryzen 3600 4.2Ghz - 32GB RAM 3600Mhz - Motherboard MSI 570 A Pro - RTX 2080 Ti -all overclocked - 2xNVME storage. PSU Corsair HX850i platinum. Average 30Fps on 4K ultra.