Sign in to follow this  
canadiantree

How has sim update 5 affected your experience?

How has sim update 5 affected your experience?  

191 members have voted

1. 1. How has sim update 5 affected your experience?

• Slightly higher FPS, same or better visuals
    • Much higher FPS, same or better visuals
    • Much higher FPS, but lower visual quality
    • Slightly higher FPS, but lower visual quality
    • No change whatsoever

1 hour ago, superspud said:

Two CTDs in 3 minutes and that's with the recommended things turned off. 

You can re-launch MSFS in user 3 minutes? Wow. 

It's day two of the great download update, and tensions mount as the Content Manager edges past 68 percent completed for the 24 Gigabytes of additional updates to content following the previous day of downloading the preposterously large main sim update to tweak probably three lines of main sim code... 🤣

• Like 3

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

i7-3770k

GTX 1070

16GB RAM

Flying from Bristol (EGGD) in Piper Arrow

2D

1080 resolution, generally settings are high

Previously: 30-35fps

Now: 40-55fps

VR

Rift S, generally medium settings

Previously: 25-27fps

Now: 30-35fps

Amazingly, A320 used to tank my FPS, but now it's not disimilar to the Arrow in terms of FPS, even at 1000ft over the city centre.

No scenery popping that I could seen, even quickly turning my head in VR

• Like 2

Likes:  Much smoother, trim wheel more responsive, no CTD yet with live ai traffic.

Dislikes:  Pop-in looking around using Track IR.

• Like 1

I don't care about FPS but I like things to be smooth. Done a few circuits and touch and goes at Heathrow in the FBW A320N and it was all smooth and good at ultra. GTX1080. Very pleased. 

35 minutes ago, 109Sqn said:

There are so many variables at play (as always) - different hardware, settings, add-ons, even environmental (e.g. ambient temperatures). It's not like we're all comparing our experiences on an identical console. And since this update promised so much in terms of improvements, it's probably less surprising thst it works better for some than others. I'm personally having mixed results so far - great framerates but CTDs and even my PC suddenly turning off on final to Newark after obtaining 48FPS instead of as low as 15FPS previously..

pc turning of is a sign of a hardware problem, maybe drivers.

17 minutes ago, wim123 said:

pc turning of is a sign of a hardware problem, maybe drivers.

Or heat, and there was a lot of that rising from the top and rear of the case. GPU and CPU were both below maximum load, as was RAM. Haven't made any driver changes recently and I'm still running the old and most stable Radeon driver.

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

I can't make SU5 work yet. I've CTD'd 8 times all with different variables. (Traffic/MP off, tried the FBW x3, then the PMDG, then the default Beechcraft x3, then the 1st training flight | In FlyTampa Vegas, then KDCA, then the middle of nowhere in the South Atlantic a few times.) Sometimes it crashes the moment I select "fly now", others while initially loading in the cockpit.

Should note prior to this patch I never encountered CTD's so it must be one of the new features or settings or something. I'll sit down and figure out what settings is doing it when I have more time.

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

I have done a few shorter flights now. I'm honestly amazed. Much much much less stutters and the perfomance... Not once dipped below 30 fps circling above NYC in the MB339 on a 2080 with High End settings at 4k. Much more stable framerate. Wow.

A bit more pop in than before, I'd say. Clouds seem to have changed a bit, but are actually better now (from what I've seen so far).

Zero issues, no CTDs. I emptied my Community folder though and just installed the CJ4 and the WT G1000 from the marketplace. Have yet to try VR and tubeliners.

Laminar Research customer -- Asobo/MS customer -- not an X-Aviation customer - or am I? 😉

After 8+ hours with the new patch i'm very happy.

Better performance. Better visuals. Just better in every way.

Saw my first bit of minor pop in in London..and i mean minor.  Not had any pop in issues anywhere else. (New York, Sydney, Paris.. panning left and right with the hat switch as fast as it will pan.. no issue.  Doing fast rotations in the Bell47 and H135.. no pop in.

Just had a CTD exiting the sim.  Never had that before.  Not happy with the traffic bug, need a hotfix for that asap.

Overall i give the update a 9.0/10  Mighty impressed.

• Like 2

Just finished downloading after about 18 hours!  Just had time for a really quick flight out of EGHI so far but first impressions aren't great.

Crashed on loading twice on 'checking for updates', the second time it works OK ... odd.

Mouse doesn't seem to do anything anymore apart from illuminate the buttons in bright blue.  Unable to switch anything with the mouse which has an annoying habit of disappearing altogether after a while.

Many more stutters than previous and no improvement in frame rates ... possibly worse.

I'll have another go later and maybe try and find out how to get the mouse working properly for a start.

4 minutes ago, badger2000 said:

Mouse doesn't seem to do anything anymore apart from illuminate the buttons in bright blue.  Unable to switch anything with the mouse which has an annoying habit of disappearing altogether after a while.

Options>Accessibility  The option above tooltips.   Switch it from Locked to Legacy.

Edited by The Moose
  • Like 1

Just now, The Moose said:

Options>Accessibility  The option above tooltips.   Switch it to Legacy.

Thanks Moose

I had read something about changing it to Legacy somewhere but I thought I'd searched everywhere but couldn't find it.

• Like 1