Sign in to follow this  
steve310002

Lots of Aliaising/Blurry Textures in SU5

Since installing SU 5, the most distracting thing by far for me is the sudden shimmering and increased aliasing of all objects especially in the distance but also objects nearby (airport addon buildings especially).

I am running 4K with a render scaling of 80 as I was before this update and had great visuals with great anti-aliasing. As before I am using TAA anti-aliasing.

Furthermore the ground textures and trees now look almost watercolour like and nowhere near as crisp.

It seems to me like Asobo lowered the aliasing quality. Even at render scaling 100 in 4K, whilst better at a cost of fps, it still doesn't look anywhere near as good as render scale 80 in 4k in sim update 4. Sure I have gained 20% to 30% fps but at a great loss to visual fidelity.

Does anyone else have these aliasing issues in 4K especially when lowering render scaling to the previously near identical 80 setting? Is there anything I can do? 

Overall I am really unimpressed. My sim looks much worse compared to before. Now I see why so many are complaining.

Edit: just loaded into Las Vegas and everything in the distance is blurry and nowhere near as crisp as before. It used to look 3D and have a real sense of depth. Now it looks flat and 2D like a flat backdrop. All sense of realism and depth in far away terrain and objects is gone!

Edited by steve310002
  • Like 10
  • Upvote 2

Just out of curiosity, are you running MSFS with a Nvidia or AMD video card?

I have an AMD,

I wonder if this is making a difference? I see a lot of 3080, super 2080 not having the issues I am seeing. 

Edited by SlowFlyer

10850K, MSI Unify Z490, 32gb G.Skill Ripjaw 3600 CL16, MSI 5700 XT 8gb, Nochua NH-U12a, WD 500gb Black SSD (OS- Windows 10 Pro), Samsung 2tb Evo plus SSD (games), Superflower 850 watts power supply

Can you you guys post screen shots of your issues 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, SlowFlyer said:

Just out of curiosity, are you running MSFS with a Nvidia or AMD video card?

I have an Nvidia card

44 minutes ago, devgrp said:

Can you you guys post screen shots of your issues

Below is a quick video I made captured in 4K (render setting 80, TAA) over Las Vegas using FlyTampa's scenery.

As you can see I am getting aliasing lines and shimmering where I had none before and the scenery in the distance at the autogen limit is extremely blurry unlike the crisp textures I previously had using the older version(S) of MSFS.

Towards the end of the video when I look down the textures become muddy. Again this did not happen in SU 4. 

Not sure what is causing the aliasing/shimmering or blurring of textures but along with the overblown lighting, the visuals look much worse than they did before.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, steve310002 said:

Below is a quick video I made captured in 4K (render setting 80, TAA) over Las Vegas using FlyTampa's scenery.

As you can see I am getting aliasing lines and shimmering where I had none before and the scenery in the distance at the autogen limit is extremely blurry unlike the crisp textures I previously had using the older version(S) of MSFS.

Towards the end of the video when I look down the textures become muddy. Again this did not happen in SU 4. 

Not sure what is causing the aliasing/shimmering or blurring of textures but along with the overblown lighting, the visuals look much worse than they did before.

Can't really tell from the video about the aliasing but apart from you flying from the 3rd person view and seeing minimal redraw it's looks fine to me. You shouldn't have that problem from the cockpit 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Same here. Even on 4K 100 render I see some aliasing issues with TAA on short to mid distance. For example on apron / ramp textures you can see some edge drawing problems.

Also some glitches happen especially on night time lighted surfaces. It seems like GPU is failing but some other users on official forum have reported the same.  

RTX 3070 5600X (Seetings are fine - Drivers are checked nothings seems abnormal other than visual quality.)

• Like 1

Faruk IŞIK

My sim looked like trash before the update, with a line of trees giving away to sludgy mid textures on the horizon.  This at scaling of 150 on 1080p.  Dread to think how things are going to be when I get my hands on the update.  At least I may have trees to cover the blurry mess up. 

13 minutes ago, steve310002 said:

The video looks amazing to me

• Like 1

FSX | DCS | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | IL2:BoX

Favorite aircraft currently: MSFS Savage Cub

2 minutes ago, Slides said:

It looked way better before. I see aliasing on the ground now on runway textures when I had none. The blurry textures in the distance are the worst. Probably the compression of the video hides it somewhat.

Despite what the samw few people are saying, 4K looks much worse than it did before. And the lighting is absolutely awful. 

Trust me, I rarely complain. I wouldn't say it if it wasn't true, at least true in my eyes.

5 hours ago, Slides said:

The scenery looks awful in that video, a blurry mess.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

5 hours ago, steve310002 said:

It looked way better before. I see aliasing on the ground now on runway textures when I had none. The blurry textures in the distance are the worst. Probably the compression of the video hides it somewhat.

Despite what the samw few people are saying, 4K looks much worse than it did before. And the lighting is absolutely awful. 

Trust me, I rarely complain. I wouldn't say it if it wasn't true, at least true in my eyes.

I agree with you.  I just did a flight in an area I fly all the time.  Blurry textures, shimmering around lakes, tree LOD the same as before.  Looks nothing like it did at launch.

• Like 1

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

3 minutes ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

The scenery looks awful in that video, a blurry mess.  

I fly on a 55 inch 4K TV screen. Maybe some of those denying there is any issue sim on a small monitor in 1080p and might not notice the difference but as you said, it looks awful compared to before and impossible not to notice certainly in 4K with 80 rendering scale (or even 100). I tried all manner of settings and can't get rid of the aliasing or blurriness.

Very disappointing to say the least.

I was a little concerned Asobo's magical performance fix would be simply to cut the graphics quality down.  I'm shocked that they actually went that route though.

• Like 7