Sign in to follow this  
abrams_tank

Did the clouds improve in Sim Update 5?

The clouds are a little too white now IMO.

• Like 2

It depends on whether you are HDR capable.

The sim by all accounts was optimised for XBox on a HDR10 Television.

If you are using a HDR 10 TV or a compatible HDR monitor the clouds will look better.

If you are using normal SDR gaming monitor, the clouds will be over exposed and too bright in the "white" areas and as a result look cartoony and washed out.

• Like 2

Does colorgrading=0 help with the clouds for you? For me it does, but I'm uncertain if it is like pre-SU5 or only less-awful.

EDIT: For SDR that is.

Edited by Fiorentoni

what exactly does the colorgrading value do?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

27 minutes ago, captain420 said:

what exactly does the colorgrading value do?

Cannot tell you in a technical way, but colorgrading=0 makes the lighting look more like pre-SU5, less gamma less bloom less cartoon.

No point changing values for VR users as we're stuck with what we've got as those settings (mostly) don't work, Asobo wrecked the clouds and graphics in general with this update. The regression is there for all to see and yet Jorg stated in an interview earlier this year: “We’ll never dumb down the sim.." #RollEyes

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

Colorgrading 1 increases the saturation, setting it to zero is, as Fiorentoni says, works a bit like reducing gamma. It makes color less intense.

My observation is that Colorgrading 0  does reduce the ludicrous levels of brightness and the weird cloud coloration you sometimes get with SU5 but does nothing to bring back the lost detail or alleviate the flat "pasted on the sky" look of the clouds.

Colorgrading 0 does help a little but the only real solution is fly clear skies unless it is fully overcast in which case the featureless grey is actually realistic.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick

That's my temp fix until I get more time to fix it, just use a thick full overcast everywhere I go.

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

6 hours ago, Todd2 said:

The clouds are a little too white now IMO.

Yeah, I noticed the clouds seem to be whiter.  But I like it like that, for some reason, at least on days when there are few clouds.

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

Asobo really needs to fix this cloud issue. They don't look as good as SU4.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

28 minutes ago, abrams_tank said:

Yeah, I noticed the clouds seem to be whiter.  But I like it like that, for some reason, at least on days when there are few clouds.

It is quite "artistic"  reminds of a Ghibli animated movie like that one about the guy who designed the A6M.

Not realistic though.

Colorgrading 0 will help to get rid of the cartoonish colors, but there will also be less contrast, it is clearly noticeable in black areas that become more dark gray, the solution is HDR, which makes the experience even better than previous SU5.
But forcing people to buy HDR monitors it's not the right way to go, Asobo must rectify this and give us alternatives.

Edited by Ixoye

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

Even with HDR on, they still need to fix the clouds.

Yah, I tried it on my other display which has proper HDR, I'm not impressed.

Sure it can make parking spots and aprons or even ground textures more varied and vibrant looking at times, but it makes half the game look ridiculously unbalanced too. Their gamma configuration is a moving target, it needs to be done to proper standards.

Edited by Alpine Scenery
  • Like 2

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

27 minutes ago, Ixoye said:

Colorgrading 0 will help to get rid of the cartoonish colors, but there will also be less contrast, it is clearly noticeable in black areas that become more dark gray, the solution is HDR, which makes the experience even better than previous SU5.
But forcing people to buy HDR monitors it's not the right way to go, Asobo must rectify this and give us alternatives.

Yeah absolutely. Asobo dramatically needs some leadership in development, those decisions and re-decisions are the worst I have seen in game development in a long time (and I play Paradox games, mind you...). Even FBW, a development team with about 100 developers working for free without ever having seen each other in real life and without any real hierarchy, they look like absolute professionals in comparison to Asobo.

• Like 1